ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A blunt question, but please answer...

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

groovycool
Newly Registered

A blunt question, but please answer...

Post by groovycool » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:53 am

To get straight to the point...

If a non UK (Macedonian) woman has a child, by a UK citizen, and born in the UK, can she then apply for UK citizenship right away?

My wife is Macedonian, we have been married for 6 years, but the Home Office is still messing us around, I just want to know, that if we had a kid, would it make the situation more easy?

She wants to become a British Cit by the way...

Thanks in advance for any help....

JAJ
Australia

Re: A blunt question, but please answer...

Post by JAJ » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:40 am

groovycool wrote:To get straight to the point...

If a non UK (Macedonian) woman has a child, by a UK citizen, and born in the UK, can she then apply for UK citizenship right away?
Not necessarily. Although the child would of course be British and there might be some humanitarian considerations that could come into play.
My wife is Macedonian, we have been married for 6 years, but the Home Office is still messing us around, I just want to know, that if we had a kid, would it make the situation more easy?
What do you mean by "messing us around"? What's her current visa status and what has been her status in the last 6 years?

You'll need to be more specific if you want any meaningful assistance.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:53 am

A child might make your situation worse because not only will your wife's immigration situation remain unchanged, but you will have the additional burden of having to raise a child. Not to mention the ethical issues raised by bringing a child into this world simply for immigration purposes.

But I agree with JAJ, you need to provide more information. For all its failings, the UK Home Office is pretty sharp compared to most other countries and doesn't just "mess" people around for the hell of it. There are very clear guidelines and processes to follow in order to obtain citizenship and if you haven't followed them then obviously you won't achieve your goal.

British citizenship doesn't just fall into one's lap. It has to be planned for well in advance.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:09 pm

groovycool wrote:If a non UK (Macedonian) woman has a child, by a UK citizen, and born in the UK, can she then apply for UK citizenship right away?
No.
groovycool wrote:My wife is Macedonian, we have been married for 6 years, but the Home Office is still messing us around, I just want to know, that if we had a kid, would it make the situation more easy?
Being 'messed about' is usually a result of an application that is outside the rules and is not straightforward e.g. the applicant is an overstayer, has been refused asylum, is an illegal entrant etc and the processing times are not within Home Office published timelines. What's your spouse's immigration history? Go to the family forum - the theme there is if you are not eligible for straightforward 'in country' processing return home and apply for a spousal visa there. You are likely (and have) wasting time that could be used towards naturalisation. Sorry that is not the news you may want to hear.