ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Are step-relatives counted as relatives?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Dawie
Diamond Member

Are step-relatives counted as relatives?

Post by Dawie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:08 pm

Here's an interesting question that cropped up recently. In the form that you have to fill out to apply for naturalisation, it states that a person who acts as a reference for you cannot be a relative. Does this include step-relatives? For example, my step-father is a British citizen AND he lives in South Africa (and has done since he was 13 years old when his family emigrated from the UK to South Africa).

Would he be able to act as reference for me bearing in mind he is a step-relative and stricly speaking is not related to me in any way except by virtue of the fact that he is married to my mother? And would the fact that he hasn't lived in the UK for so long be an issue?
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:19 pm

I don't know. He isn't a blood relation but I suppose you could call him a family member. I'd have thought, though, that in any case it might be wiser to use people who are resident in the UK as referees - in case the nationality people wanted to get in touch with them - unlikely I think, but possible of course.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:27 pm

Christophe wrote:I don't know. He isn't a blood relation but I suppose you could call him a family member. I'd have thought, though, that in any case it might be wiser to use people who are resident in the UK as referees - in case the nationality people wanted to get in touch with them - unlikely I think, but possible of course.
There's nothing in the guidance notes that I can find that says that the referee has to be resident in the UK, just that they have to be UK citizens. In any case I'm sure the nationality people know how to dial international telephone numbers. :)

Strictly speaking a step-parent is not a relative. One could look at it this way.....my step-father's British citizenship in no way helped my immigration cause whatsoever. I had to come here on a work permit and obtain ILR 4 years later like everyone else. He was not a relative in the sense that I could obtain British citizenship by virtue of him being my step-father. So I guess if he was not related to me enough for me to obtain British citizenship by decent, then he is sufficiently not related to me in order for me to use him as a reference for my naturalisation application.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

John

Post by John » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:52 pm

Dawie, I just see this as an unnecessary risk ... especially if your surnames are the same ... you and your step-father.

Surely there are two people in the UK who are British Citizens at least 25 years old who have known of you for at least three years? People at work? People at clubs/Church or other religious building? Neighbours?
Strictly speaking a step-parent is not a relative.
I am not sure that is totally correct, especially where the biological father has died. Step-parents have increasing rights these days.

In the INF6 guidance notes, available on the www.ukvisas.gov.uk website it says :-
‘parent’ includes a step-parent where the father or mother is dead, either the father or mother of an illegitimate child and, in certain circumstances, an adoptive parent.
Dawie, as said above, why take a risk? That is unnecessary IMHO.
John

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:13 pm

Dawie,

Issue likely to come down to semantics but IMHO a step parent particularly in the circumstances described is distinctly a relative and thus falls to be a qualified referee for naturalisation purposes. Your application your call.