ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nchowdhury

Re: birmingham lazy?

Post by nchowdhury » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:31 pm

Date of application : 12 Dec 2011 (in person at Birmingham)
Date of acknowledgement : 12 Dec 2011
Photo/Signate Scanned : 27 Feb 2012
Registration granted : 28 Feb 2012
Documents printed : 29 Feb 2012
Dispatched from Delhi : 06 Mar 2012
Documents Recd Birmingham : 12 Mar 2012

Applied for my daughter also same time but showing one week late in all the above dates. Waiting to receive at Birmigham as of today.

Will send by post special delivery.

Regards
N. Chowdhury

srdanda wrote:dispatched from delhi: 24/02/12
i will send two special delivery envelopes ( for 4 members).
more than likely yours will be done next week.

nchowdhury wrote:Thats good news.
Hope mine should be done next week or so looking at the time scale.

Have you decided to go in person to collect or through post.
Regards
N. Chowdhury
srdanda wrote:update!!
acknowledged on 08/12/11 ( applied in person @ birmingham)
photo/signature scan on 16/02/12
OCI granted on 17/02/12
documents printed on 21/02/12.
not dispatched from delhi yet.

nchowdhury wrote:Nothing yet, everday I check on their site it says under process. As I said earlier they said it will take 14 to 16 weeks at the moment, therefore no choice, got to wait.
If I knew, it will take so long over here, I would have sent to London office.
Regards.
NChowdhury.

drwho
Newly Registered

Re: Recent Time line for OCI application in Birmingham CGI

Post by drwho » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:47 pm

Troops wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know the current time line for OCI applications in Birmingham CGI? I will be applying for my OCI in second week of April and planning to fly to India on 22nd July. Just wanted to know what chances I have of getting the OCI stamped or will i need to apply for Visa to travel to India ? Please can the board members share their experience or post the current time line for OCI approvals in Birmingham.

Thanks.
Why are you applying in birmingham when even postal applications to HCI london are processed in a month( See my timeline)

There is no consular jurisdiction for OCI ( at least for postal applications)

Troops
Newly Registered

Post by Troops » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:03 am

drwho wrote:

Does anyone know the current time line for OCI applications in Birmingham CGI? I will be applying for my OCI in second week of April and planning to fly to India on 22nd July. Just wanted to know what chances I have of getting the OCI stamped or will i need to apply for Visa to travel to India ? Please can the board members share their experience or post the current time line for OCI approvals in Birmingham.

Thanks.
Why are you applying in birmingham when even postal applications to HCI london are processed in a month( See my timeline)

Hi, As I am based in Birmingham thought of applying in Birmingham CGI. Can we still apply in HCI , London by post? CGI Birmingham says the application might get rejected if I apply in HCI? Has any of the board members done that in past?

srdanda
Newly Registered

Re: birmingham lazy?

Post by srdanda » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:50 am

congrats!
now waiting game to get documents back.
i have posted by special delivery on 07/03, received at birmingham on 08/03/12 (royal mail tracking).
just checked royal mail tracking for return envelope, no joy.
nchowdhury wrote:Date of application : 12 Dec 2011 (in person at Birmingham)
Date of acknowledgement : 12 Dec 2011
Photo/Signate Scanned : 27 Feb 2012
Registration granted : 28 Feb 2012
Documents printed : 29 Feb 2012
Dispatched from Delhi : 06 Mar 2012
Documents Recd Birmingham : 12 Mar 2012

Applied for my daughter also same time but showing one week late in all the above dates. Waiting to receive at Birmigham as of today.

Will send by post special delivery.

Regards
N. Chowdhury

srdanda wrote:dispatched from delhi: 24/02/12
i will send two special delivery envelopes ( for 4 members).
more than likely yours will be done next week.

nchowdhury wrote:Thats good news.
Hope mine should be done next week or so looking at the time scale.

Have you decided to go in person to collect or through post.
Regards
N. Chowdhury
srdanda wrote:update!!
acknowledged on 08/12/11 ( applied in person @ birmingham)
photo/signature scan on 16/02/12
OCI granted on 17/02/12
documents printed on 21/02/12.
not dispatched from delhi yet.

drwho
Newly Registered

Post by drwho » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:06 pm

Troops wrote:
drwho wrote:

Thanks.

Hi, As I am based in Birmingham thought of applying in Birmingham CGI. Can we still apply in HCI , London by post? CGI Birmingham says the application might get rejected if I apply in HCI? Has any of the board members done that in past?
Application will be accepted by post by HCI London provided the online registration number is a London reg number

i.e starting with GBRLI...... and not a birmingham reg number( starting with GBRB....). What the cgi birmingham people said is true. You cannot send an application with a birmingham reg number to london as they will reject it.

I live in an area under birmingham jurisdiction and succesfully sent it by post to hci london and got it done. I first had registered under brimingham and was about to post it when a friend told me that I could send it to london. I then went to the Oci website and did another appication with an HCI london registraion number and sent it. Got the OCI done in less than a month!!!!

Even if you had done an online registration with Birmingham and taken all the printouts etc and was just about to post just bin it.Do another application with a london reference number and send it to london. Thats what I did. They will only acknowledge the application which finally reaches the high commision anyway.
Last edited by drwho on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

drwho
Newly Registered

Post by drwho » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:07 pm

Moreover there is no mention in the HCI london website about consular jurisdiction with regards to OCI.

sll100
Newly Registered

OCI - Website Issues

Post by sll100 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:53 am

Hi

Is anyone facing issues with the OCI website for Online registration

I try to open the Download Certificate and the Online Registration on the Top half of the page and it does not work. It just Times out both in Firefox and Internet Explorer. And even Safari does not work on another computer so looks like that it is not the connection issue !

Any help / advise

Thanks

satnamgi
Newly Registered

oci download certificate

Post by satnamgi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:36 pm

The download certificate is stored on your hard disk and you do not need to do anything with it. it is not a connection issue just fill in the form on the website

satnamgi
Newly Registered

oci timing

Post by satnamgi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:43 pm

Applied on 4 March turned away from HCI for incorrect form
Turned away on 5th incorrect form
accepted on 6th March
approved on 9th March Delhi and posted to Uk 12th
awaiting arrivall in London

seems very fast to me

sll100
Newly Registered

Post by sll100 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:23 am

Thanks Satnamgi

I realised the issue is not the certificate but the website being a typical Indian governemnt website , which definitely lacks some quality or connection. Initially I was unable to even download the certificates, but finally was able to manage the same

You have mentioned about incorrect form in your other post. I filled the form online and it printed it in 6 pages. I reprinted the form and the same now prints in 4 pages. I can see the differences are in the notes section rather the first 2.5 pages which is the real form.

Can you let me know the form, what is correct / incorrect from your visit to the embassy. Also, from your 2 trips any suggestions on the Time to reach the embassy (london)

Sushant

drwho
Newly Registered

Post by drwho » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:10 pm

The usual reasons for forms/ applications being rejected(for a previous single indian citizen with a valid surrender certificate ) are

1. trying to use a cgi birmingham form at hci london and vice versa (when it is clearly mentioned on the hci london website that they cannot accept it!!!)

2. Trying to use british passport type photographs(when the type, size etc of the photographs needed are clearly mentioned on the website).

3. not taking the documents needed .

Obviously cases other than ex Indian citizens may need further documentation.

Though I do concede that the behavior of a few staff members at the cgi's/ hci etc could be bettter, the situation is worsened by typical desi behavior of a few applicants with a chalta hai/ karo na attitude.Not following the instructions at all and then shouting and screaming when things dont go their way!!!!

satnamgi
Newly Registered

Post by satnamgi » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:07 pm

sll100 wrote:Thanks Satnamgi

I realised the issue is not the certificate but the website being a typical Indian governemnt website , which definitely lacks some quality or connection. Initially I was unable to even download the certificates, but finally was able to manage the same

You have mentioned about incorrect form in your other post. I filled the form online and it printed it in 6 pages. I reprinted the form and the same now prints in 4 pages. I can see the differences are in the notes section rather the first 2.5 pages which is the real form.

Can you let me know the form, what is correct / incorrect from your visit to the embassy. Also, from your 2 trips any suggestions on the Time to reach the embassy (london)

Sushant
Sushant,

I was rejected because I had not got a declaration saying I was on my mother's passport when I travelled to the UK in 1963. I obtained this next day but rejected because it was obtained using a solicitor and not notary public. On the third visit I had the right documents.

I find the best time to visit is after 11 but before 12 midday. The tokens are only issued till 12 midday. The busiest time is between 9 -10 am I found. Arriving at 9 am I had to wait till 11.45 before I was seen. Arriving at 11.30 I was seen by 12.30

I am pleased to say my OCI certificate is now received in HCI office London

sll100
Newly Registered

Application Timeline

Post by sll100 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:52 pm

Applied in Person at HCI LONDON on 20th March 2012

Acknowledged on 20th March 2012

Photos/Signature scanned on 20th March 2012

Granted on 21th March 2012

Printed on 22nd March 2012

Dispatched on 23rd March 2012

Received at HCI, London on 27th March 2012

Collected in person on 28th March 2012

Just over a week for OCI !!!
Last edited by sll100 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vjhunt
Newly Registered

Royal Mail Mess

Post by vjhunt » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:45 pm

Dear members,

I have sent my passport for OCI sticker via special delivery on 19/03/2012, couldn't track on Royalmail website, even after 4 days, it say, parcel is received at our delivery office and is out for delivery. No hope.

I have tried calling them, in waiting queue for 47 minutes. Then emailed HCI to see if they have any record of my passport or the OCI been put on passport, but as usual, no reply simple thinking for HCI, "Can't be bothered".

Has anyone experienced the issue?

Any thoughts welcome?

dvijay
Newly Registered

Post by dvijay » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Hello All,

I am appyling for my 2 kids OCI soon. Me and Wife had already one.

I would be applying Via post to London consulate. What amount of postal orders needs to be provided per application £172 or £172 +2 = £174?

I am submitting application in duplicate with following
1. Minor BP copy
2. Minor Birth certificate copy
3. Father + Mother BP copy
4. Father + Mother OCI card copy
5. Father + Mother cancelled Indian passport.
6. Required Postalorder

Are these enough.?

Please Help..
Many Thanks in Advance....

smatt

Card Collection

Post by smatt » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:20 am

Dear sll100,

First of all Congratulations.....OCI in a week.......While collecting the card, did they ask for the Orginal Passport? Kindly let me know.......Thanks & Regards

vipul1981

Post by vipul1981 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:13 am

Smatt. U need original BP. Need to submit that original BP in the morning and collect with OCi in the evening same day

smatt

Post by smatt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:47 am

Dear vipul1981,

Thank you very much for your reply, for PIO is also the same...we need to submitt original BP, I am planning to apply for PIO

vipul1981

Post by vipul1981 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:51 pm

Smatt, I don't know about PIO. Best to check HCI lon website. They should have adequate info

TeshINDER
Newly Registered

oci apllication at London

Post by TeshINDER » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi

I wonder if anyoone can help with a few questions -

For the thumb prints for minors do I need to use blue ink or black ink ?

I have got photo's done 51mmx51mm just on one picture there is a very slight brightness on the face , do you think this is a issue ?

Your reply will be most appreciated

Tesh

smatt

PIO

Post by smatt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Thanks vipul1981,

There is no information regarding collection of PIO on HCL website.

Can anyone please tell me whether we can apply PIO in India on a 6 months Tourist visa, I am planning to India after 2 weeks so no time for PIO.

I am asking collection of PIO because, If I apply PIO card for my baby in Uk even though baby is in India, can I collect, please members and Administrator kindly advice me, people who collected kindly share, treat it as very urgent as HCL office is also closed until Monday.

poas
Newly Registered

Post by poas » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:02 am

Hi
Has anyone applied for OCI recently? I applied 2 weeks back in person in London and it was acknowledged the same day, status changed to "scanned " after 2 working days and since then nothing for more than a week now.... any similar experiences?

newdawn
Newly Registered

OCI Timeline

Post by newdawn » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:17 pm

Date of application : 18 April 2012 (In person at HCI London)
Date of acknowledgement : 18 April 2012
Photo/Signature Scanned : 19 April 2012
Registration granted : 09 May 2012
Documents printed : 10 May 2012
Dispatched from Delhi : 14 May 2012
Documents Received at HCI London : 15 May 2012

Collected through post.
Passport and online status print received at HCI London : 21 May 2012
OCI Received at residence : 24 May 2012
Last edited by newdawn on Thu May 24, 2012 10:40 am, edited 6 times in total.

Troops
Newly Registered

Post by Troops » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:45 am

Hi,

I am from Coventry and planning to submit my OCI application in London HCI on 7th May.

As 7th May is a bank holiday but the HCI is open, just wanted to know your views as what to expect once I reach HCI? Will it be very busy on the day? I understand that the HCI opens at 8.30am, how early i need to queue to get my application submitted on the day? Any other tips will be useful.

Thanks.

Friend

Post by Friend » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:26 pm

I am from Coventry and planning to submit my OCI application in London HCI on 7th May.

As 7th May is a bank holiday but the HCI is open, just wanted to know your views as what to expect once I reach HCI? Will it be very busy on the day? I understand that the HCI opens at 8.30am, how early i need to queue to get my application submitted on the day? Any other tips will be useful.

Thanks.

From HCI London website

NEW TIMINGS FOR SUBMISSION OF PIO/OCI APPLICATIONS FROM
1st May 2012

OCI

Issue of Tokens 1230 – 1430 hours
Opening of Counters &
Submission of OCI Applications: 1300 – 1600 hours
Collection of OCI Cards/Visa: 1630 – 1700 hours

All service seekers for OCI and PIO may kindly note the new timings and approach the High Commission accordingly. Cooperation of all is solicited.