ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI for Minor- U-Visa in old passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sage
Newly Registered

OCI for Minor- U-Visa in old passport

Post by Sage » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:51 am

We are traveling to India in an emergency. My son is 17 and he is minor according to Indian regulations. He has got his OCI but his British passport expired recently and has got a new British Passport. The Indian U-Visa sticker is in the old passport.

We don’t have enough time to apply for transferring the U-Visa, as they say it will take 12 weeks (Edinburgh). Can my son travel to India on old and new passports (along with OCI Card) or do we have to apply for tourist visa for him?

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

vipul1981

Post by vipul1981 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Yes he can. Ensure to carry both passports and OCI

Sage
Newly Registered

Post by Sage » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:42 am

Thanks.

I sent an email to the Indian OCI office and here is their reply:

"He will be allowed to travel with old passport and OCI Card together with new passport. On showing these documents he will be issued TLP with the instructions that he should get the U Visa sticker on new passport. But he will be charged requisite fee for issuance of TLP."

Never heard of TLP!

parshub
Newly Registered

Post by parshub » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:57 pm

Hi Sage,
did you get travel to India yet?
If yes, then were you given any "TLP"? I think this term means Temporary Leave Permit---usually given for 30 days or less.

I am in the same boat. The CGI Houston, USa website is screwed up and gives confusing information. At one place it says send the documents only to travisa outsourcing, and then under "OCI Miscellenous" it says send it the docs to CGI Houston !
Worse, the actual form says that you can either apply for new sticker OR ALTERNATIVELY travel with the both new and old passports + OCI booklet.
I chose to send my docs to CGI Houston, USA but no response so far.

I am thinking of applying for a VISA now unless somebody can tell otherwise.

desiStruggler
Newly Registered

any updates

Post by desiStruggler » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:05 am

Guys,

Any updates on the travel possibility while carrying both passports? I am in the same boat for my minor child. How long can TLP be issued for?