ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas income Tier 1 successful application?? - Plz Help

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Manoj4HSMP
Newly Registered

Overseas income Tier 1 successful application?? - Plz Help

Post by Manoj4HSMP » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:33 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am extremely grateful to everyone on this board (especially Vinny and Sush D) for their valuable inputs. I got my Tier 1 application without any agents/lawyers help; thanks to the gracious support and inputs from all admins/moderators on this board!

Further to my initial entry clearance; I will soon have to apply for my extension for Tier 1 (2+3 years). I have two sources of income and in my last post I had updated my list of docs that I plan to submit for my extension. I have the below 2 queries, and will be extremely obliged if anyone/all can contribute to point out/update the below.

1. I am currently employed in UK and also am registered in HMRC for self employment as a sole trader for my income generated from overseas (India) : For my business, I raise a PO to my client (in India) who transfer the invoiced amount to my UK account. Though the invoice is raised in INR (rupees); since the amount is transferred to my UK account it reflects in GBP (pound sterling) in my business account here.

- For consideration of previous earnings, will the amount be considered in GBP that reflects in my Business account on actuals as and when transferred, or will it be considered in INR (as invoiced) and then calculated without uplift ratio at the time of extension application as per the exchange rate on the said date...?

2. Having read the guidance notes and having read through the forum; though it is clear that overseas earnings are valid and will be considered for previous earnings criteria; I have unfortunately been unable to locate any successful applications, based on the this criteria (employed in UK + self employed from overseas/India).

Apologies if I am being particularly dim; but I would really appreciate it if any/some one could point me to some similar case histories where the application has been successful on similar ground(since most cases are self employment from UK itself)...as I am unsure how much valid ground it stands if I pursue my application on this ground.

Many Thanks in advance for all your help!! -

Sincere Rgds-

M4HSMP :roll:

silent_warrior
Member of Standing

Re: Overseas income Tier 1 successful application?? - Plz He

Post by silent_warrior » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Manoj4HSMP wrote:Hello Everyone,

I am extremely grateful to everyone on this board (especially Vinny and Sush D) for their valuable inputs. I got my Tier 1 application without any agents/lawyers help; thanks to the gracious support and inputs from all admins/moderators on this board!

Further to my initial entry clearance; I will soon have to apply for my extension for Tier 1 (2+3 years). I have two sources of income and in my last post I had updated my list of docs that I plan to submit for my extension. I have the below 2 queries, and will be extremely obliged if anyone/all can contribute to point out/update the below.

1. I am currently employed in UK and also am registered in HMRC for self employment as a sole trader for my income generated from overseas (India) : For my business, I raise a PO to my client (in India) who transfer the invoiced amount to my UK account. Though the invoice is raised in INR (rupees); since the amount is transferred to my UK account it reflects in GBP (pound sterling) in my business account here.

- For consideration of previous earnings, will the amount be considered in GBP that reflects in my Business account on actuals as and when transferred, or will it be considered in INR (as invoiced) and then calculated without uplift ratio at the time of extension application as per the exchange rate on the said date...?

2. Having read the guidance notes and having read through the forum; though it is clear that overseas earnings are valid and will be considered for previous earnings criteria; I have unfortunately been unable to locate any successful applications, based on the this criteria (employed in UK + self employed from overseas/India).

Apologies if I am being particularly dim; but I would really appreciate it if any/some one could point me to some similar case histories where the application has been successful on similar ground(since most cases are self employment from UK itself)...as I am unsure how much valid ground it stands if I pursue my application on this ground.

Sincere Rgds-

There have been sucessful applicants who showed overseas earnings. I think one of them was cherrypie. Try and search for this users post or do a search on 'overseas earnings' or 'earnings abroad'. I remember posting a reference link of an older similar post from someone to someone

Manka10

Post by Manka10 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:54 pm

Sincere Rgds-

1) only the exchange rate prevailing at the time of transfer will be applicable & the amount transferred in your UK account will be your actual earnings, if you apply today's exchange rate to the amount invoiced in rupees then you will end up with less or more depending on the exchange rate if its more or less now which would conflict with your actual earnings, which is the amount deposited in the bank at the time of transfer/payment of invoice

2) I did offshore work during my initial Tier 1 application & showed only the amount that was transferred to my UK account
Manka

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:57 pm

Sincere Rgds-

All the best

Manoj4HSMP
Newly Registered

thanks a lot!

Post by Manoj4HSMP » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks Slient Warrior/Manka. I did try to search the forum for overseas earnings as key word; and though I did find a couple of posts to check if they could claim points for overseas earnings; unfortunately none had posted details of whether the visa was granted/succesful (other than cherry pie which you kindly pointed out to me). Infact, other than cherry pie, even now I have not been able to locate other succesful applications for overseas earnings...if I am not really asking for too much, could you please also provide member names with another 1 or 2 such similar successful applications...? I would be very obliged and really appreciate it, as I would like to review such similar case histories and list of docs for preparing my case.

Thanks a million for your help in advance!! :?

Regards
M4HSMP

Manka10

Re: thanks a lot!

Post by Manka10 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:10 am

Manoj4HSMP wrote:Thanks Slient Warrior/Manka. I did try to search the forum for overseas earnings as key word; and though I did find a couple of posts to check if they could claim points for overseas earnings; unfortunately none had posted details of whether the visa was granted/succesful (other than cherry pie which you kindly pointed out to me). Infact, other than cherry pie, even now I have not been able to locate other succesful applications for overseas earnings...if I am not really asking for too much, could you please also provide member names with another 1 or 2 such similar successful applications...? I would be very obliged and really appreciate it, as I would like to review such similar case histories and list of docs for preparing my case.

Thanks a million for your help in advance!! :?

Regards
M4HSMP
mate, I already mentioned in my post that I did include overseas earnings to claim points, though that was at the time of initial application but doesnt really matter whether its initial or extension

there is no reason to doubt why overseas income wont be accepted as earnings
Manka

silent_warrior
Member of Standing

Post by silent_warrior » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:21 am

Manka10 wrote: mate, I already mentioned in my post that I did include overseas earnings to claim points, though that was at the time of initial application but doesnt really matter whether its initial or extension

I agree with Manka10.
But just for Manoj4HSMP'scuriosity, i think there are more. One of them has an application pending with UKBA. Check this post
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#620688
Maybe you want to contact one of them and check for status
Last edited by silent_warrior on Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

silent_warrior
Member of Standing

Post by silent_warrior » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:23 am

silent_warrior wrote:
Manka10 wrote: mate, I already mentioned in my post that I did include overseas earnings to claim points, though that was at the time of initial application but doesnt really matter whether its initial or extension

I agree with Manka10.
But just for Manoj4HSMP's curiosity, i think there are more. One of them has an application pending with UKBA. Check this post
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#620688
Maybe you want to contact one of them and check for status

sts96508
Member of Standing

Post by sts96508 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:49 am

manoj4hsmp just needs to search more diligently, I have seen more posts about successful applications with overseas income. i remember details of one case where the guy was rejected when his overseas employer verfication failed, but eventually the appeal won through.

guaravd

Post by guaravd » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:03 pm

sts96508 wrote:manoj4hsmp just needs to search more diligently, I have seen more posts about successful applications with overseas income. i remember details of one case where the guy was rejected when his overseas employer verfication failed, but eventually the appeal won through.
Hi sts96508 - I'm your great fun in terms of info provided by you. Thnxs for that.
Now if i've understood it correctly manoj4hsmp here is trying to find out the info on how could he prove overseas income from self employed work. Proving the overseas income as an salaried employee is quite straight forward but proving the same income as a self employed that to funds flowing in from overseas can be bit tricky in terms of documentations. Please correct me manoj4hsmp if i am wrong here.

Even i'm in search of a similar info or success story as well as process flow of proving overseas income as a self employed.

sts96508 - If you can throw some light on possible bottlenecks for proving overseas income as a self employeed and what documents will be required from overseas i will really appreciate that. Also will that affect the 5 points for UK experience if I show overseas income(as its not earned in UK)....Please advise

nks

Post by nks » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:22 pm

In same context, I was wondering if one needs to be aware of any 'exporting services' regulation which may perhaps govern what are the tax/customs and other regulatory implications of such overseas income.

I am in same boat hence this query.

Thanks,
nks

sts96508
Member of Standing

Post by sts96508 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:03 pm

guaravd wrote:
sts96508 wrote:manoj4hsmp just needs to search more diligently, I have seen more posts about successful applications with overseas income. i remember details of one case where the guy was rejected when his overseas employer verfication failed, but eventually the appeal won through.
Hi sts96508 - I'm your great fun in terms of info provided by you. Thnxs for that.
Now if i've understood it correctly manoj4hsmp here is trying to find out the info on how could he prove overseas income from self employed work. Proving the overseas income as an salaried employee is quite straight forward but proving the same income as a self employed that to funds flowing in from overseas can be bit tricky in terms of documentations. Please correct me manoj4hsmp if i am wrong here.

Even i'm in search of a similar info or success story as well as process flow of proving overseas income as a self employed.

sts96508 - If you can throw some light on possible bottlenecks for proving overseas income as a self employeed and what documents will be required from overseas i will really appreciate that. Also will that affect the 5 points for UK experience if I show overseas income(as its not earned in UK)....Please advise
about UK experience points - the guidance is quite clear that you will get the points if your 16/25K of previous earnings were made in UK. claiming overseas income in the same period does not affect this because you can have more than one source of income at the same time.

About documents for proving self-employed earnings made overseas, i suggest you read the guidance carefully. Documents required are not different from those needed for self-employed earnings made in the UK. From what I remember, documents have to be from atleast two sources, say bank and client, bank statement and invoices. including tax documents is also recommended if you can manage it. what is most important is that these documents should be verifiable. clients should be willing to answer uk ba verification checks. so that if matters turn ugly you can challenge uk ba about verification during appeal process, if it comes to that.

sts96508
Member of Standing

Post by sts96508 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:14 pm

one advice to all applicants with overseas earnings - be prepared for a long haul. visit your home country before applying and don't plan any travel taking average visa processing times into mind.

you may get decision same day via PEO if you are lucky, but if uk ba decides on verification it may take a long time and average processing times won't apply

sts96508
Member of Standing

Post by sts96508 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:28 pm

here's another success story with ONLY overseas income

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... c&start=20

guaravd

Post by guaravd » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:30 pm

sts96508 wrote:
guaravd wrote:

about UK experience points - the guidance is quite clear that you will get the points if your 16/25K of previous earnings were made in UK. claiming overseas income in the same period does not affect this because you can have more than one source of income at the same time.

About documents for proving self-employed earnings made overseas, i suggest you read the guidance carefully. Documents required are not different from those needed for self-employed earnings made in the UK. From what I remember, documents have to be from atleast two sources, say bank and client, bank statement and invoices. including tax documents is also recommended if you can manage it. what is most important is that these documents should be verifiable. clients should be willing to answer uk ba verification checks. so that if matters turn ugly you can challenge uk ba about verification during appeal process, if it comes to that.
Thanks sts96508 for your prompt response. Appreciate it :)

guaravd

Post by guaravd » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:21 pm

guaravd wrote:
sts96508 wrote:
guaravd wrote:

Thanks sts96508 for your prompt response. Appreciate it :)
sts96508 can you be kind enough to clarify uk experience points from my below example:
Say out of total 45K of income 20k is earned from the employment within the UK and balance 25K is earned from overseas self employed income. Now in this instance will i be eligible for 5 points for UK experience or not ??? Please clarify

sts96508
Member of Standing

Post by sts96508 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:29 pm

depends on how much you need to claim uk experience, 16k or 25k, which would depend on when you got your initial visa.

read the guidance and try the points calculator(pop-up help on uk exp points)

silent_warrior
Member of Standing

Post by silent_warrior » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:54 pm

sts96508 wrote:depends on how much you need to claim uk experience, 16k or 25k, which would depend on when you got your initial visa.

Just a thought. It will useful if sts96508 (as you seem to have better knowledge) could make a new post with FAQ's on overseas earnings and the solutions to that. Maybe one of the moderators could add them to the sticky notes. One always gets the occasional user asking questions about overseas earnings and this FAQ post by you would be useful to guide others in future

guaravd

Post by guaravd » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:19 pm

sts96508 wrote:depends on how much you need to claim uk experience, 16k or 25k, which would depend on when you got your initial visa.

I need 25k for UK experience - I think i won't qualify as i've only earned 20K and balance is from overseas self employement work - Whats your say on this ???

sts96508
Member of Standing

Post by sts96508 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:51 pm

guaravd wrote:

I need 25k for UK experience - I think i won't qualify as i've only earned 20K and balance is from overseas self employement work - Whats your say on this ???
yes, you won't get uk exp points for 20K then. you can always try to earn 5K on the side in UK if you need the points desperately

guaravd

Post by guaravd » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:50 pm

sts96508 wrote:
guaravd wrote:

yes, you won't get uk exp points for 20K then. you can always try to earn 5K on the side in UK if you need the points desperately
Thanks for your guidance sts96508, one last clarification in terms of overseas income - I'm physically present in UK and my clients are in India who transfer the money in my UK bank account for my services. I'm also registered with HMRC as self employed and will be paying tax on the income coming in my UK bank account from India. Don't you think this technically becomes a UK earned income and i should get 5 points for this............ pls share your opinion

sts96508
Member of Standing

Post by sts96508 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:38 am

I think yes, you can claim this to be UK income because you are physically present in UK and registered with HMRC and will be paying taxes.

post this question separately in the forum to get others' views