ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel while waiting decision on MN1

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

silversurfer

Travel while waiting decision on MN1

Post by silversurfer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:54 am

I applied for registration as British Citizen for my child after receiving my ILR.
We are waiting for a decision/approval but are due to travel soon.
Can my child travel on the existing VISA in her passport i.e. Tier-1 Dependent?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:30 pm

The issue is not the MN1 application but that the child has a tier-1 dependent visa while you are now on ILR so his visa is not valid any more.

If you would have wanted to travel before he becomes BC, you should have included him in your ILR application.

silversurfer

Post by silversurfer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Jambo wrote:The issue is not the MN1 application but that the child has a tier-1 dependent visa while you are now on ILR so his visa is not valid any more.

If you would have wanted to travel before he becomes BC, you should have included him in your ILR application.
:(

Do you think it will be a problem when traveling back from India or entering UK?
Will they refuse entry for the child?
The Tier-1 Dependent VISA is valid till next year.
I was under the impression that VISA will be valid for child. Moreover the normal processing time for MN1 is 6 weeks and we have been waiting for more than 2 months now. I thought we will be able to sort British Passport and Indian VISA for child before traveling but the decision on MN1 has not come yet. :(

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:26 pm

As I said, his visa is not valid any more. It doesn't matter when the expiry date on the visa. He can't be a your tier-1 dependent if you are not a tier-1 holder any more.

In practice, you would probably be OK. The Indian authorities would not know the visa is not valid so will let him board the flight. In the UK, the IO might give you some hard time but most likely will let your child in.

If you want a more gurantee to re-enter, he should have a valid visa.

doubletrouble

Post by doubletrouble » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:37 pm

Dear Silver surfer

Do you wish to share your experience and time line. Even I applied end of Jan- postal and 2 weeks ago got all the supporting documents back saying case is under consideration and they may ask docs back, Have you also received similar letter?

thanks

silversurfer

Post by silversurfer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:45 pm

doubletrouble wrote:Dear Silver surfer

Do you wish to share your experience and time line. Even I applied end of Jan- postal and 2 weeks ago got all the supporting documents back saying case is under consideration and they may ask docs back, Have you also received similar letter?

thanks
I applied in Feb using NCS and received acknowledgment letter and payment taken. I was expecting it to come by end of March. No news yet or any other letter etc. :-|

Any views on my original question?

silversurfer

Post by silversurfer » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:49 pm

Jambo wrote:As I said, his visa is not valid any more. It doesn't matter when the expiry date on the visa. He can't be a your tier-1 dependent if you are not a tier-1 holder any more.

In practice, you would probably be OK. The Indian authorities would not know the visa is not valid so will let him board the flight. In the UK, the IO might give you some hard time but most likely will let your child in.

If you want a more gurantee to re-enter, he should have a valid visa.
Thanks! Much appreciated.

doubletrouble

Post by doubletrouble » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:29 pm

silversurfer wrote:

thanks
I applied in Feb using NCS and received acknowledgment letter and payment taken. I was expecting it to come by end of March. No news yet or any other letter etc. :-|

Can you say when in Feb?

Sorry I dont know but what Jambo says makes sense. If I were you I wouldnt travel. I am step behind you. My little one never had a dependent visa stamped so we cannot travel anywhere till we get her british passport. Patiently waiting

silversurfer

Post by silversurfer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:38 pm

doubletrouble wrote:
silversurfer wrote:

thanks

Can you say when in Feb?

Sorry I dont know but what Jambo says makes sense. If I were you I wouldnt travel. I am step behind you. My little one never had a dependent visa stamped so we cannot travel anywhere till we get her british passport. Patiently waiting
Ack received 25th Feb and fees was taken around the same time.

doubletrouble

Post by doubletrouble » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks silversurger.

I guess all we can do now is wait. It has been 11 weeks for me.