ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship and kids born out of UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jinkazama_11
Member of Standing

Citizenship and kids born out of UK

Post by jinkazama_11 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:17 am

Hi

Me and my wife hold ILR and will apply for citizenship next year. I would like to understand what would be our kids nationality if born out of UK after we get our citizenship and move to some other country e.g., Canada, middle east or any other European country.

Its a bit complicated and i can't get my head around this.

Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks

cricinfo

Post by cricinfo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:26 am

They will be British. Any kid born after you become british citizen will be british regardless of where they born

jinkazama_11
Member of Standing

Post by jinkazama_11 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:32 am

cricinfo wrote:They will be British. Any kid born after you become british citizen will be british regardless of where they born
Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 am

Please note that if the children are born outside the UK, they will be British by decent which means they can't transmit their BC to their children if their children are born abroad.

See more details - Chapter 20: British citizenship "by descent" and "otherwise than by descent".

jinkazama_11
Member of Standing

Post by jinkazama_11 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:37 am

Jambo wrote:Please note that if the children are born outside the UK, they will be British by decent which means they can't transmit their BC to their children if their children are born abroad.

See more details - Chapter 20: British citizenship "by descent" and "otherwise than by descent".
This is a important point. Thanks for your help.