ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

purpose of BRP

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

twon2is7
Newly Registered

purpose of BRP

Post by twon2is7 » Tue May 01, 2012 4:29 pm

what is the purpose of the BRP? when would I need to show it? is the passport not enough with the new stamp in it?

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Tue May 01, 2012 5:00 pm

The BRP is issued instead of a stamp in your passport. It is your residence permit. You can't enter the UK without it.

twon2is7
Newly Registered

Post by twon2is7 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:12 pm

ok to get this straight - every other country I need a passport to enter and exit .... except for the UK. I will need my passport AND BRP?

Is that correct?

So not only is this a country that still issues TWO licenses (a picture card and paper license) now they require TWO travel documents .....

all I can say is idiots .... no wonde this country is broke they do everything the hard way ...

Highly_Skilled

Post by Highly_Skilled » Tue May 01, 2012 8:42 pm

twon2is7 wrote:ok to get this straight - every other country I need a passport to enter and exit .... except for the UK. I will need my passport AND BRP?

Is that correct?

So not only is this a country that still issues TWO licenses (a picture card and paper license) now they require TWO travel documents .....

all I can say is idiots .... no wonde this country is broke they do everything the hard way ...
Yes, that is correct. You require your BRP as evidence that you have valid leave to remain in the UK. This is not a travel document as in the same way, nor a sticker is a travel document. You will find as well that other countries throughout the E.U are adopting biometrics. So this will be adopted by the EU (not necessarily in the same format)

Also, "this country" doesn't issue 2 licenses. It is 1 license made up of 2 parts, 1 card and 1 paper document.

If you have a better method of obtaining migrants biometrics, I'm sure UKBA would love to hear from you. Alternatively, you can always leave the country, if you don't like it.

mantasingh

Post by mantasingh » Tue May 01, 2012 9:17 pm

I wonder what BRP boils down to. Some bits & bytes in the computer.

So what stops UKBA form creating some kind of encrypted barcode which they can put on the passport itself with the VISA stamp and scan it and verify whether the person entering/leaving UK is same.

BRP is putting an extra responsibility on a person to keep it safe forever and extra bucks to UKBA.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Tue May 01, 2012 9:49 pm

mantasingh wrote:I wonder what BRP boils down to. Some bits & bytes in the computer.

So what stops UKBA form creating some kind of encrypted barcode which they can put on the passport itself with the VISA stamp and scan it and verify whether the person entering/leaving UK is same.

BRP is putting an extra responsibility on a person to keep it safe forever and extra bucks to UKBA.
it has a biometric chip in it which they can't insert in a passport. It is a lot harder to tamper with than a sticker in a passport. The card is based on a standard EU format, other EU countries have similar documents for migrants and for their own citizens. If your passport expires, then you don't need to renew your permit or have it transferred to a new passport or have to travel with both passports as you did previously. I am not sure why you are so bothered by it. Why is it so hard to keep it safe and why is it so much hassle to have to carry another document to get back into the UK?

longshift

Post by longshift » Tue May 01, 2012 11:55 pm

mantasingh wrote: extra bucks to UKBA
Totally agree with Manta here. if you loose your passport, British Govt has nothing to gain of it. But if you loose your BRP card, guess who you have to pay to get a new one.

varghesejim
India

Re: purpose of BRP

Post by varghesejim » Wed May 02, 2012 12:23 am

twon2is7 wrote:what is the purpose of the BRP? when would I need to show it? is the passport not enough with the new stamp in it?
It contains biometrics(facial image and fingerprints). The details are stored in a central database and presumably will be used by many government agencies in the future. It can be used to control access, login to services and many other things. In other words if it is used to its maximum, a person can be traced about his/her activities using the card. Whether it is good or bad is a matter of debate.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Wed May 02, 2012 5:47 am

longshift wrote:
mantasingh wrote: extra bucks to UKBA
Totally agree with Manta here. if you loose your passport, British Govt has nothing to gain of it. But if you loose your BRP card, guess who you have to pay to get a new one.

if you lost your passport containing a vingette you would need to pay to replace the passport and pay at least £220 for a transfer of conditions application. If you lose your BRP you pay £37 to replace it.

mantasingh

Post by mantasingh » Wed May 02, 2012 6:14 am

My argument is Passport is introduced purely for the purpose of VISA and additional checks can be performed to verify the authenticity of the stamp.

If the data in Chip is on the central database then same is true for the stamp on passport with some sort of Barcode.

Moreover, I don't think that they will install finger scanners at each govt. office or with each employer so that these bodies can verify the person themselves with the help of data on chip.

I read UKBA document where it states how employers can verify the authenticity of BRP. All the details mentioned there are just to verify with the look and feel of the BRP. If still in doubt then send the scanned copy of the BRP to UKBA and they will revert back with the authenticity.
Same thing can be done with the stamp on Passport.

Don't see a benefit here.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed May 02, 2012 6:30 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

jan77

Post by jan77 » Wed May 02, 2012 6:48 am

vinny wrote:See also Equality Impact Assessment.

Hum um...The end justifies the means...
The purpose of this world is God

imprezasti

Post by imprezasti » Wed May 02, 2012 6:51 am

Totally agree & support the views of twon2is7 & manta. Waste of public funds and a nuisance for us. End of.

Highly_Skilled

Post by Highly_Skilled » Wed May 02, 2012 5:02 pm

imprezasti wrote:Totally agree & support the views of twon2is7 & manta. Waste of public funds and a nuisance for us. End of.
Perhaps the fact that the BRP reduces the amount of fraud surely is better in the long run? Afterall, a sticker in your passport can be easily forged. Which can lead to identity theft, human trafficking etc.

So even though you have to spend money on taking your biometrics, which is such a labouring task of sitting in front of a camera or pressing your fingers down on a keypad, it is good in the long run.

But I can completely understand how difficult it is carrying a small plastic card around with you. Although, one would think it wouldn't make a difference considering most people carry credit cards, driving licenses, I.D, bank cards etc with them everyday.

Also, just because you end your sentence with the words "end of" does not make your point any more valid.

I wish people would stop moaning about minor issues..

mantasingh

Post by mantasingh » Wed May 02, 2012 9:31 pm

I wonder if stamp on the passport can be forged then what will stop fraudster from forging a BRP as well.

If the way for validation of BRP & passport are same i.e. send the scanned copy to UKBA and they will reply back stating whether it is authentic or not then I would say it is waste of money and trouble to carry an additional card.

Moreover, lets say I already have one BRP and I go for another extension then the new BRP will be issued and it will have the latest dates. As per the process UKBA will retain the existing BRP and issue the new one.

Where is the information about my earlier BRP with me. Do I need to keep the photocopies of it with me to prove that I had that earlier where as a stamp in passport will always be there.