ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Multiple citizenship??

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ConfusedLad
Newly Registered

Multiple citizenship??

Post by ConfusedLad » Wed May 09, 2012 3:21 pm

Hi, I have a question I hope one of you Immigration gurus can help with. I am currently in the UK on an ILR visa. The UKBA website states that Britain allows dual nationality, however it does not mention multiple citizenship.

I am wanting to apply for British citizenship, however I am a citizen of both New Zealand and Australia. Will I still be able to apply for British citizenship?

Thanks!!
:?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed May 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Dual in this context means two or more.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Multiple citizenship??

Post by Christophe » Wed May 09, 2012 3:26 pm

That is no problem. In broad, general terms, countries that do not attempt to restrict double or dual citizenship take the same approach to multiple citizenship.

You will be able to keep your Australian and New Zealand citizenships if you apply for naturalisation and become a British citizen, and there is no problem with your making the application while a citizen of two other countries. If successful, you will then be a citizen of three countries.

ConfusedLad
Newly Registered

Post by ConfusedLad » Wed May 09, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks a lot, much appreciated :)

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Wed May 09, 2012 4:05 pm

No problem, and welcome to the boards. :)