ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please help! Ireland Immigration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Static

Please help! Ireland Immigration

Post by Static » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:31 pm

Hi,
I am currently in the UK with my husband who is a British citizen on a 6 month visitor's visa. I am a South African citizen. He has now been transferred to his company's branch in Ireland. I would like to go with him and we plan on settling there. I am getting conflicting information from different sites and really need to know what the requirements are. According to most sites, I can apply for a residence card on arrival and don't need to go back to my country of residence first. Is this true? We are due to move there next week and I am obviously quite panicked. Please help!

JAJ
Australia

Re: Please help! Ireland Immigration

Post by JAJ » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:52 pm

Static wrote:Hi,
I am currently in the UK with my husband who is a British citizen on a 6 month visitor's visa. I am a South African citizen. He has now been transferred to his company's branch in Ireland. I would like to go with him and we plan on settling there. I am getting conflicting information from different sites and really need to know what the requirements are. According to most sites, I can apply for a residence card on arrival and don't need to go back to my country of residence first. Is this true? We are due to move there next week and I am obviously quite panicked. Please help!

Has your husband's employer not retained the services of a competent Irish immigration lawyer?

Static

Post by Static » Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:03 pm

No, they haven't. Are they supposed to?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:28 am

Static wrote:No, they haven't. Are they supposed to?

That's what most good employers do.

Bear in mind that you will need to wait longer for citizenship in the Republic of Ireland. It will be 5 years rather than the 3 years it would be in the UK. And at the moment it's taking the Irish ages to process applications, anecdotally people are waiting 2 or more years for their naturalisation applications to be dealt with.

You don't say how your husband got his British citizenship, but if he is British "by descent" then any children you have born in the ROI won't be British citizens. Depending on circumstances it might be possible to register them as British citizens. They would however be Irish citizens.

Is the job location close to the border? If so then it may be an option to live in Northern Ireland instead.

Static

Post by Static » Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:51 am

Thank you for responding. I am completely confused now.... My husband is British by birth. He lived in South Africa for a number of years and thus has dual citizendship. The only question I really have is whether I need to apply for visas and/or permits before I go to Ireland or after I get there. Can I go on a visitor's visa and then apply to stay? Or do I need to do that before going. According to a lady that I telephoned at the Irish Consulate in London I can just arrive. This sounds a bit too easy to me, hence me doing further research. We intend settling in Ireland and therefore won't mind how long it takes for citizenship. As long as we can work and the kids can go to school.[/quote]

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:26 am

Static wrote: According to a lady that I telephoned at the Irish Consulate in London I can just arrive. This sounds a bit too easy to me, hence me doing further research.
You may not find someone well versed in Irish immigration law on an online forum. Not many people are interested in going there compared to the United Kingdom.

But if you look back through these forum archives, you may see some threads relevant to your situation.

Otherwise, you need a lawyer, sorry. Why won't the employer hire one for you?

Static

Post by Static » Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:05 am

Thank you for the info. I'll certainly look into that. :)

AIBO
Newly Registered

Post by AIBO » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:05 pm

Static

Post by Static » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:06 pm

Thanks Aibo :)

Wildrover
Newly Registered

Post by Wildrover » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:46 am

Hi Static! I have a friend who is South African and just came to Ireland to join her husband who is an EU National. She didn't require any visa at all, just came in and applied for a residence permit asap. Do check in the visa section, on the list of non-European countries that do not require a visa to enter Ireland. You can see that South Africa is among these countries. Lucky you. :)

Static

Post by Static » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:56 am

Hi Wildrover :) Thanks! Hope it is as easy... I applied for the EU1 thingie and am now waiting for an answer from them. Hold thumbs for me! :D