ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Sharing views on Change in Spouse Settlement Rules

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

chosenaik

Sharing views on Change in Spouse Settlement Rules

Post by chosenaik » Tue May 15, 2012 10:09 am

Hi, should a sticky be started on the change in rules to spouse settlement rules. I have spoken with a lot of people and all are concerned that the rule will be applied to retrospectively.

The most drastic affect will be if the minimum stay in UK is changed from 2 yrs to 5 yrs. As this will be applied retrospectively an applicant will be affected even if they are only a couple of months from applying for ILR.

It would be good to share views on this (especially if some one has any update from speaking with solicitors) to help all of us whom may be affected by this better prepare for eventualities.

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Tue May 15, 2012 10:36 am

What is the problem if this is real marriage? Is 5 years too long to live together? Most other immigration categories take at least 5 years. I don't understand why it was 2 years in the first place. With such rules you could marry dozens of time, make a small business enterprise...

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Tue May 15, 2012 10:38 am

well said JohnM, couldnt have stated it better!

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue May 15, 2012 10:42 am

JohnM....please post with respect or not at all.

Chosenaik - You say you've spoken to 'a lot of people'. Any thoughts they have on the implementation of proposed changes are purely speculation.
Even legal professionals won't be able to advise on this.

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue May 15, 2012 10:44 am

hsmpengineer wrote:well said JohnM, couldnt have stated it better!
This is the sentence I'm objecting to as a Moderator:
With such rules you could marry dozens of time, make a small business enterprise...

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Tue May 15, 2012 10:46 am

there is already a sticky thread on this subject.

It is highly unlikely that the rules would have retrospective effect to the extend that a person here on a 27 month spouse visa/2 years LTR as a spouse would suddenly be required to stay here for 5 years in order to apply for settlement.

hsmpengineer
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by hsmpengineer » Tue May 15, 2012 10:56 am

Casa, I understand where you're coming from and i'm in agreement with you on that point. Perhaps he may have stated that part to add some humour to his post. lol

Casa

Post by Casa » Tue May 15, 2012 11:08 am

hsmpengineer wrote:Casa, I understand where you're coming from and i'm in agreement with you on that point. Perhaps he may have stated that part to add some humour to his post. lol
Only funny for those who the post wasn't aimed at.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue May 15, 2012 11:50 am

Casa wrote:Chosenaik - You say you've spoken to 'a lot of people'. Any thoughts they have on the implementation of proposed changes are purely speculation.
Even legal professionals won't be able to advise on this.
IMHO, the title on the lines - Please speculate about possible changes to family route - would have been more apt.

A sticky topic already exists regarding changes to family route immigration. Please continue there.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!