ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Passport (Visa on old one)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bkhan

New Passport (Visa on old one)

Post by bkhan » Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:35 am

Hi Everyone,

I am from Pakistan. My UK visa is on the old passport (ie it has expired). I have the new passport with me. (I have both the passports in my possession).

Will I have any problem while travelling to the UK?

Kind regards
B. Khan
Last edited by bkhan on Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

bkhan

fingers crossed

Post by bkhan » Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:43 pm

I hope anyone can answer the question during the coming week.

bkhan

Post by bkhan » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:14 am

Thanks and regards
B. Khan

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:02 pm

B. Khan,

No problem - just carry both passports with you. You do not tell us what visa you hold. Note that the immigration rules have been amended and the Immigration Officer at the Port of Entry will not admit you for more than 6 months. If you have say a Work Permit Visa in your expired passort valid for another 3 years the IO will not give you Leave To Enter the UK in line with that period. He/she will stamp you in for 6 months and ask you to file for an extension in country.

Have a safe trip.

Khurram

Post by Khurram » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:22 pm

Kayalami:
Just wanted to clarify something in reference to your reply.
If you have say a Work Permit Visa in your expired passort valid for another 3 years the IO will not give you Leave To Enter the UK in line with that period. He/she will stamp you in for 6 months and ask you to file for an extension in country.
Every time I've flown back to the UK within the validity period of my WP, the Visa Officer didn't put an entrance stamp on my passport. Now even if :
i) one has been issued a new passport, &
ii) with the WP having been stamped/granted on the old/expired passport (with a note in the new passport stating that the expired passport bears a valid visa),
iii) in possession of both the expired and the new passport.
should one be expecting the Visa Officer to stamp in an entry, when it hadn't been done earlier?

Regards

bkhan

Post by bkhan » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:28 pm

Thanks Kayalami.

Does that apply to HSMP too?

So anyone whose HSMP EC was stamped in the old passport will have to apply for another one in the UK?

(My visa is a work permit visa but I intend to apply for HSMP).

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:24 am

Khurram,

IO only stamps WP/HSMP etc visa the first time you enter the UK. On subsequent entries on the same passport there is no need to do so because your permission to remain in the UK is still in effect - immigration rules changed in 2000 to allow such. There is still a record of your entry though - you will note the IO swipes your ppt through a reader + you submit a landing card which ends up being scanned into your file on HO database. However where a new ppt is presented the IO used to transfer old visa conditions/ leave on to new ppt to the full length e.g 3 yrs etc. Now IO will give you 6 months or even less and tell you to apply for LTR in country - this will come in the form of a residence permit = vignette sticker possibly with your photo on it. Dude the government needs your LTR fee :lol: .

bkhan,

Yes the same applies to HSMP as well as all other visa categories - however it does not apply where you have different visa categories e.g. WP on expired passport and trying to enter UK on HSMP visa. You must get HSMP EC abroad or LTR if an 'in country' applicant.

tvt

Post by tvt » Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:21 am

Under existing Immigration law there is still no charge (and no charging power) for transferring LTR /LTE stamps to new travel documents. The charging power will apply once the new immigration bill receives royal assent.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

bkhan

Post by bkhan » Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:36 am

Thats very inconvenient.

Do we have to spend another day at the concerned office?

Do we have to reorganize all our documents and take them to the concerned office and stand there in a queue?

Why dont they simply charge the fees at the airport?

Khurram

Post by Khurram » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:03 pm

Kayalami:
Thanks for the reply.

tnavon:
Think you might be right about not being charged on 'transferring' the WP onto a new passport (as you say under the existing regulations). Have asked a friend who was in a similar kind of a predicament a while back, will post his reply once he'll get back to me.

Regards.

mwaitojofu
Newly Registered

Post by mwaitojofu » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:13 pm

All,
Can you advice please. I got ILR last year in March , what will happened if
I want to transfer ILR stamp into my future new passport? Will I have to pay again?

I don't want to change my citizenship, how can I avoid ( legally ) paying the transfer fee?

Thanks,

bambumbile

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:34 pm

bambumbile,
Can you advice please. I got ILR last year in March , what will happened if
I want to transfer ILR stamp into my future new passport? Will I have to pay again?
Transfers of ILR to a new passport require a GBP 155 postal or GBP 250 in person application processing fee as stipulated in the Nationality and Immigration Act 2002. You should apply for this on form NTL. Suprisingly I noticed that this form was initially placed on the IND site in August 2003 when charging was first introduced then retracted for some months but is now back - just like a famous Austrian (originally) actor.
I don't want to change my citizenship, how can I avoid ( legally ) paying the transfer fee?
You can't avoid it unless you refrain from a transfer - sorry.