ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 Query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

crcnaidu
Newly Registered

MN1 Query

Post by crcnaidu » Thu May 10, 2012 1:04 pm

Hi All,
I got ILR last june 2011 and due to apply for citizenship this june 2012. My query is, Can i submit my child MN1 application who was born in india in 08/2008 and residing in UK since 10/2008 along with mine or does he need to wait until i get citizenship. Your advise is verymuch appreciated
Thanks

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 10, 2012 1:34 pm

No problem applying together. The outcome of the child application would likely depend on the approval of the parent application.

Does the other parent also hold ILR? The HO would expect that.

See more in Q1 in FAQ - most common questions - children.

crcnaidu
Newly Registered

Post by crcnaidu » Fri May 11, 2012 12:46 pm

Hello Guru,
Thanks verymuch for your reply and advice. Can you please read the below guidance, It says one parent should hold citizenship and other should have ILR when applying MN1. In my case both parents hold ILR status but cant apply for spouse along with me as does not meet residential requirements yet.Can you please clarify on this and suggest can i apply my child MN1 application along with mine.

Children born abroad to parents who are applying for British citizenship
Where one or both parents are applying for British citizenship they may apply for one or more children who are not automatically British at birth (see “Automatic acquisition of British citizenship” above) to be registered as British citizens as part of a “family
application”.
Children in this category will be considered at the Home Secretary’s discretion and will usually be registered only if both the parents are granted or already hold British citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship and the other is settled in the UK.

Many Thanks

jack_seth

Post by jack_seth » Fri May 11, 2012 1:53 pm

I recently got ILR and applied MN1 directly for my child without ILR. So if parents hold ILR, that should be enough for MN1. I have applied MN1 through NCS.
crcnaidu wrote:Hello Guru,
Thanks verymuch for your reply and advice. Can you please read the below guidance, It says one parent should hold citizenship and other should have ILR when applying MN1. In my case both parents hold ILR status but cant apply for spouse along with me as does not meet residential requirements yet.Can you please clarify on this and suggest can i apply my child MN1 application along with mine.

Where one or both parents are applying for British citizenship they may apply for one or more children who are not automatically British at birth (see “Automatic acquisition of British citizenship” above) to be registered as British citizens as part of a “family
application”.
Children in this category will be considered at the Home Secretary’s discretion and will usually be registered only if both the parents are granted or already hold British citizenship, or if one parent holds British citizenship and the other is settled in the UK.

Many Thanks

cricinfo

Post by cricinfo » Fri May 11, 2012 2:03 pm

jack_seth wrote:I recently got ILR and applied MN1 directly for my child without ILR. So if parents hold ILR, that should be enough for MN1. I have applied MN1 through NCS.
Was your child born in UK ? There are different rules for chilren born abroad than the ones born in UK.

jack_seth

Post by jack_seth » Fri May 11, 2012 7:57 pm

cricinfo wrote:
jack_seth wrote:I recently got ILR and applied MN1 directly for my child without ILR. So if parents hold ILR, that should be enough for MN1. I have applied MN1 through NCS.
Was your child born in UK ? There are different rules for chilren born abroad than the ones born in UK.
Yes. My child born here..

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri May 11, 2012 8:24 pm

application”.

Many Thanks
As I said, You can apply together and the child application would depend on yours. If you are granted citizenship, then you will meet the last sentence of the guide you quoted - one parent BC and the other settled (ILR).

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Sat May 19, 2012 5:24 am

Dear forum members, May I seek your help. We are applying for British citizenship. Me and my wife after one year being on ILR (Initially on HSMP). Our one child born in UK before our ILR (Under 1(3) of BNA) and is entitled. Second child 7 years old born in Pakistan and living with us in UK. She would apply under 3(1) of BNA which is discretion of secretary of state. We got ILR stamped for all of us.
Query In section 1.26 where it asks about the nationality of father, what should we write. As I am applying for naturalisation at the same time. Should we write my present nationality and indicate that application of naturalisation is enclosed. Just writing present nationality may led to misunderstanding or do we need to write a cover letter explaining this since child born outside UK registration depends on the approval of parents naturalisation application

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat May 19, 2012 6:58 am

Just put present nationality. If you apply together (i.e. same envelope / NCS appointment) the HO would do the link. No need to worry.

If the mother applies as well, then the same applies to her. Not just the question about father.

khalidmirza
Member of Standing

Post by khalidmirza » Sat May 19, 2012 7:40 am

Jambo wrote:Just put present nationality. If you apply together (i.e. same envelope / NCS appointment) the HO would do the link. No need to worry.

If the mother applies as well, then the same applies to her. Not just the question about father.
Thanks Jambo much obliged. We are all applying together, i.e. Father, Mother, and two kids.

jl70
Newly Registered

MN1 query

Post by jl70 » Sat May 19, 2012 7:41 am

Hi all,
got my ilr and want to apply British citizenship registration for my children(3) who were all born in the UK via the MN1 route. My dilemma is two of them are in Ghana, how do i go about it.
Your advice will be very much appreciated.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: MN1 query

Post by Jambo » Sat May 19, 2012 8:40 pm

jl70 wrote:Hi all,
got my ilr and want to apply British citizenship registration for my children(3) who were all born in the UK via the MN1 route. My dilemma is two of them are in Ghana, how do i go about it.
Your advice will be very much appreciated.
Application needs to be made in the coutry the child is present. Apply to the HO for the child in the UK. Apply to the British consulate in Ghana using form MN1 for the children in Ghana.

pradeepalways
Newly Registered

Registering child with one parent applying for naturalistion

Post by pradeepalways » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:44 am

Hi All,
I got ILR last dec 2011 for my whole family (me, my daughter and wife) and now I am due to apply for citizenship this jan 2013. My query is, Can i submit my dughter's MN1 application who was born in india in 11/2011 and residing in UK since 06/2011 along with mine or does she need to wait until i get citizenship. Your advise is verymuch appreciated. I can't apply for my wife as she did not complete her 5 years yet in UK

Your timely advice will be much appreciated

Thanks
Pradeep

vij_sp_1980

Post by vij_sp_1980 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Jambo wrote:

Where one or both parents are applying for British citizenship they may apply for one or more children who are not automatically British at birth (see “Automatic acquisition of British citizenship” above) to be registered as British citizens as part of a “family application”.

Many Thanks
As I said, You can apply together and the child application would depend on yours. If you are granted citizenship, then you will meet the last sentence of the guide you quoted - one parent BC and the other settled (ILR).
Pradeep,

please see above quote from jumbo

pradeepalways
Newly Registered

Is there any success stories for this scenario

Post by pradeepalways » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Hi vij_sp_1980

Thank you for your quick response, is there success stories for this scenario as I am much worried that until someone completes the citizenship ceremony they are not british citizen.

in my case when I apply with my kid, if my application successful then I will be granted naturalisation (not british citizen yet), I will not be british citizen until I take oath in citizenship ceremony..

I can't wait to get my naturalisation and british citizenship first and then apply for MN1 for my kid because of personal family reasons my kid needs to travel in 4 months.

Kind Regards
Pradeep