ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Just an observation

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kindred_1st

Just an observation

Post by kindred_1st » Thu May 24, 2012 11:00 am

Hello and good day,

I'm not posting a rant or taking out anger on anyone, just making note of how the 'system' operates for and against the public.

When you apply to become a British national, you
pay £851 and rising every year
cannot get an update from the UKBA if/when you phone
send an email/fax and would never get a response or reply
and despite paying £851 (rises every year) your approval
letter (very important) is sent via 2nd class mail

When you apply for a British Passport, you
pay £77.50, depending on the type of passport
get an update from IPS if/when you phone
send an email/fax and get a response or reply in less than 2
hours (my personal experience) in detail as well
receive your passport by a courier service

WOW !!!

I know folks would say its is privilege and not a right to become a UK citizen but that's not the issue. When paying for a 'service' you should expect that said service to be in line with what is being paid.

I don't think anyone would argue that if any person in the UK were to pay their council nearly £900 for its service and when asked 'when is bin collection day' or 'when can you come collect my garden waste' and you're told, 'we cannot tell you when' or get no response from an email, that they would not stand for that.

I'm trying to stir up trouble, just my 2 cents on the matter folks, what do you think?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 24, 2012 12:07 pm

The difference between service to voters and service to non voters....

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Thu May 24, 2012 12:22 pm

Jambo wrote:The difference between service to voters and service to non voters....
But even them will become voters by the end of the process...

kindred_1st

Post by kindred_1st » Thu May 24, 2012 12:44 pm

Jambo wrote:The difference between service to voters and service to non voters....
I have to disagree with that statement. I have voted 2x in previous elections before obtaining citizenship. If you are from a Commonwealth member nation, of which there are 54 (Life in the UK Test) you are eligible to vote in UK elections.

Or am I interpreting your statement wrongly Jambo?

Bluto
Newly Registered

Post by Bluto » Thu May 24, 2012 2:11 pm

I would suggest to complaint to UKBA, local MPs and other authorities....probably it is best if someone writes a general letter of complaint and upload it here so that it would be easy for others.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu May 24, 2012 3:54 pm

kindred_1st wrote:
I have to disagree with that statement. I have voted 2x in previous elections before obtaining citizenship. If you are from a Commonwealth member nation, of which there are 54 (Life in the UK Test) you are eligible to vote in UK elections.

Or am I interpreting your statement wrongly Jambo?
OK. In order not to offend any commonwealth citizens :-)
the difference between service to voters and (mostly) non voters
The point I was trying (unsuccessfully it seems) to make us that the HO is less concerned to provide good service to people who can't really make a difference to the HO (at least in the short term). Once you are a citizen, it's a different story.

December31

Post by December31 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:27 pm

That is because immigrants like us are usually quiet and don't fight for a better service

JohnM

Post by JohnM » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:38 am

Well, I agree that the service could be improved. However, I found UKBA service not so bad. I applied for 6 visas in this country.

Sometimes it is frustrating but overall I would give it 3.5 stars out of 5. It could be worse, considering this service is mainly not for UK citizens.

I think the problem is that this whole organization works not for UK voters mainly. Yes, some can vote, but most can't. Taxpayers don't want to pay for immigrants too much... and UKBA states that it charges some additional money to finance borders, etc.

Yes, it may not be very fair but tell it to children in Africa who don't have clean drinking water...