ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Divorce after getting British passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Mike100
Newly Registered

Divorce after getting British passport

Post by Mike100 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:55 am

Me and my wife are married for more then 4 years now.

and I have just got my British passport recently. and now she wants to move from the UK and I don't!
any way there is a strong chance she will like to divorce me .

now when I head my citizenship ceremony and got my passport , can my status can be in risk by any way ? (got my passport just one month ago )

Kind regards

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:06 am

Assuming that you now have dual nationality then you could be stripped of your British nationality (and thus passport) if they felt for whatever reason that there had been deception involved or it was a sham marriage etc.

If you have lost your original nationality and now are solely British then you cannot be stripped of it as that would leave you stateless which the government cannot do.

The reality is that the number of people stripped of the nationality is tiny and the unfortunately people do get divorced even if their relationship was perfectly legitimate.

Mike100
Newly Registered

Post by Mike100 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:05 pm

friendinneed wrote:Assuming that you now have dual nationality then you could be stripped of your British nationality (and thus passport) if they felt for whatever reason that there had been deception involved or it was a sham marriage etc.

If you have lost your original nationality and now are solely British then you cannot be stripped of it as that would leave you stateless which the government cannot do.

The reality is that the number of people stripped of the nationality is tiny and the unfortunately people do get divorced even if their relationship was perfectly legitimate.
Thanks for your quick reply .. honestly my marriage are genuine.
what is the process at all ?

at what time are thy contacting me or how this thing is bean inspected ?
I can prof that they are for real ..
also in case it will happens will i get my ILR back ?

Regards

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:14 pm

You have no requirement to declare the divorce to the HO at all. I guess they may monitor things for a while after granting citizenship but that is pure speculation.

On the basis you would been found guilty of deception in connection with the immigration and citizenship process I would guess you wouldnt get ILR.

All the cases that have been in the papers recently have had their citizenship stripped due to terrorism related issues and the HO has been attempting to deport all of them in addition to removing the BC

As I said from the outset though, I suspect the chances are tiny of anything happening. How long were you engaged before getting married? How long did you live together before getting engaged? All these things would count towards showing it was a genuine relationship if the question ever was raised.

My partner came into the UK under EEA legislation as the partner of an EEA citizen and after being here 4 years they divorced. Because it was EEA law they did have to let the HO know so that they could retain their rights and they didnt ask anything beyond the fact they'd been together 8 years, married for 6 years, 4 of which were in the UK.

Mike100
Newly Registered

Post by Mike100 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:05 pm

friendinneed wrote:You have no requirement to declare the divorce to the HO at all. I guess they may monitor things for a while after granting citizenship but that is pure speculation.

On the basis you would been found guilty of deception in connection with the immigration and citizenship process I would guess you wouldnt get ILR.

All the cases that have been in the papers recently have had their citizenship stripped due to terrorism related issues and the HO has been attempting to deport all of them in addition to removing the BC

As I said from the outset though, I suspect the chances are tiny of anything happening. How long were you engaged before getting married? How long did you live together before getting engaged? All these things would count towards showing it was a genuine relationship if the question ever was raised.

My partner came into the UK under EEA legislation as the partner of an EEA citizen and after being here 4 years they divorced. Because it was EEA law they did have to let the HO know so that they could retain their rights and they didnt ask anything beyond the fact they'd been together 8 years, married for 6 years, 4 of which were in the UK.
Interesting,
well my wife is British, and we date together 1 year before we got marred and then came to live here in the UK . we are still living together , but she will live soon and ask me to sort the divorce .
we here now together in the uk for 4 years as well under same address bills join accounts .. we are for real but I guess its not working out any more . :cry:

you are really scaring me with this I was sure my status is safe ,
In the end of the day Evan if we got divorce before, I know I head the right to keep my ILR and wait only 2 years to apply for BC.
we didnt got marred in the UK at all .. we got marred in cyprus.

I hope I can here some more opinions about this ,

friendinneed

Post by friendinneed » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:26 pm

They would only strip it if they felt there was fraud involved or if there is a "public interest" - aka you go on to commit a major criminal offense.

Whilst it is significant overkill you could of cause renounce your original nationality such to leave yourself soley british thus, in theory at least, meaning you cannot be stripped of your british nationality.

You really are almost as safe as anyone else is in this country and to be honest I'd just forget about it

$uperman

Post by $uperman » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:54 am

i would think break ups in marriage could happen with anyone and you are not doing this deliberately specially after 4 years. so technically there should not be any problem with you status

Good luck
$uperman

willyab
Newly Registered

Re: Divorce after getting British passport

Post by willyab » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:27 pm

what if we have kids, and we will get divorced eventually upon her request and insistence..!!
will they striped my citizenship ?
thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Divorce after getting British passport

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:22 am

willyab wrote:what if we have kids, and we will get divorced eventually upon her request and insistence..!!
will they striped my citizenship ?
thanks
No, unless you have used deception in previous applications.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.