ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Re-entering the UK with an expired EEA Family Permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Cocoa
Mexico

Re-entering the UK with an expired EEA Family Permit

Post by Cocoa » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:34 am

Hello,

I entered the UK with a EEA Family Permit, which was valid for 6 months. The permit has expired but I haven't been able to apply for a Residence Card yet as it can take up to 6 months and I needed my passport for work related paperwork.

Now my husband and I would like to go on a holiday to Croatia in early July (we would leave and re-enter the UK together) but I am not sure if I would be able to re-enter the UK with my expired EEA Family Permit.

I don't require a visa to enter the UK as a tourist but I am changing jobs in mid July, therefore I wouldn't like to get a tourist stamp on my passport.

Should I postpone any travel until I apply for the Residence Card? or would there be a way of re-entering the UK as an EEA Family member with the expired stamp?

Many thanks

zubby007
Member of Standing

Re: Re-entering the UK with an expired EEA Family Permit

Post by zubby007 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:28 pm

Cocoa wrote:Hello,

I entered the UK with a EEA Family Permit, which was valid for 6 months. The permit has expired but I haven't been able to apply for a Residence Card yet as it can take up to 6 months and I needed my passport for work related paperwork.

Now my husband and I would like to go on a holiday to Croatia in early July (we would leave and re-enter the UK together) but I am not sure if I would be able to re-enter the UK with my expired EEA Family Permit.

I don't require a visa to enter the UK as a tourist but I am changing jobs in mid July, therefore I wouldn't like to get a tourist stamp on my passport.

Should I postpone any travel until I apply for the Residence Card? or would there be a way of re-entering the UK as an EEA Family member with the expired stamp?

Many thanks

Family members of an EEA national, who are not themselves EEA nationals, wishing to return to the United Kingdom should apply for an EEA family permit at a British diplomatic post abroad before returning to this country. An EEA family permit is issued free of charge and on a priority basis.So Since you're NON-visa national the choice is yours.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:00 pm

Cocoa wrote: I don't require a visa to enter the UK...
You are very lucky then. An airline will let you board. You can enter under regulation 11 (4) of the 2006 regs, which transposes article 5.4 of the directive.

There is no need to enter as a tourist.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:50 pm

As said, when you come to the border ask to be admitted as a family member of EEA national (and not a tourist). You will need to prove your relationship to the EEA national so carry your marriage certificate with you.

You will get a 6 months stamp in your passport (the HO internal name for it is "code 1A") but unlike a tourist visa, you are allowed to work with this stamp (or to be precise not prohibited to work).

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Jambo wrote:(or to be precise not prohibited to work).
Nice :)

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:06 pm

It's worth reading this document to see what might happen on entry.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:28 pm

Cocoa wrote:I don't require a visa to enter the UK as a tourist but I am changing jobs in mid July, therefore I wouldn't like to get a tourist stamp on my passport.
If the job is key, then I would suggest postponing travel and applying now for a Residence Card. You should get a COA by then which will make it a lot easier to prove your right to work.

Cocoa
Mexico

Post by Cocoa » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:55 am

Perhaps it would be better to wait and apply for the Residence card before planning any holidays as I don´t want to risk my new job. I think I can handle the rainy British summer.

Many thanks for all your help.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:43 pm

Cocoa wrote:I think I can handle the rainy British summer.
Don't wish that on us. I hope it's a scorcher!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:17 pm

Cocoa wrote:I think I can handle the rainy British summer.
I think this understated scepticism makes you a shoe-in for British citizenship. But you clearly still put a little too much trust in the weather forecasters!