ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport endorsement - spouse passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mkanagar

Passport endorsement - spouse passport

Post by mkanagar » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:31 am

Hi,
I and my wife are in UK.
My wife is on ILR and i am on my Tier-1 hoping to get ILR soon.
We both have indian passports.

I want to endorse my name in my wife's passport.
I am not sure about few things? can you please help?

1.) What the purpose of this endorsement and when this is helpful/required.
2.) Is this endorsement is about just adding my name in one of the pages of my wife's passport or its more than that?
3.) Will the last name of my wife will change to my name after this endorsement. currently her last name is name of her father.
4.) if so, then what are the other things we have to take care of. change in last name is a big change. so not sure if we really have to do this endorsement.
5.) Should we notify UKBA if there are some change in details to our passport? not sure.
6.) Will my wife get a new passport if we do this?
7.) can we do this endorsement while we are in UK?

Can you please help? or point to the right thread where more info on this is available?

Thanks.
-Mahesh

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:11 pm

1.) What the purpose of this endorsement and when this is helpful/required.
So that you do not need to produce your marriage certificate in places where they might ask you to produce one (usually when you go for travel visas). Mind you, some places might still insist on your marriage certificate even if spouse name is mentioned on passport

2.) Is this endorsement is about just adding my name in one of the pages of my wife's passport or its more than that?
They will stamp your spouse name on one of the passport pages (if you go for change of name on current passport option). If you want it to be typed in the relevant section (last page of the passport), that means issuing a new passport, which in turn has fees and procedures (see Passport Applying Procedures on HCI website)
3.) Will the last name of my wife will change to my name after this endorsement. currently her last name is name of her father.
No, for that you have to apply for a new passport with supporting documents (one of which is a marriage certificate, which should clearly state what your wife's changed surname is; so for example her name before she got married was A Ram and now after marriage; its A Hari, then this should be mentioned on the marriage certificate.).

4.) if so, then what are the other things we have to take care of. change in last name is a big change. so not sure if we really have to do this endorsement.
Change of surname/last name is different from the endorsement. You can chose either, or or neither based on how you want things to be.
5.) Should we notify UKBA if there are some change in details to our passport? not sure.
If you want to transfer your wife's ILR from old to new passport (if you decide on getting a new passport) then you will have to apply for a transfer of ILR stamp (where UKBA come in). Again, this is upto you. As long as you/your wife have old passport, you can keep ILR/Tier-1 on old passport, but then have to carry both old and new passport when you travel across borders or send both passports for renewal, visa extensions and similar processes.

6.) Will my wife get a new passport if we do this?

Answered that, upto you, you either get a stamp on your old passport or you apply for a new passport (both have different procedures and fees, check HCI site for details)

7.) can we do this endorsement while we are in UK?
Yes

mkanagar

Post by mkanagar » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:36 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the detailed reply. much appreciated.
I do have one last question.

sorry if its a dumb question.

Should we endorse wife's name in husband's passport or husband's name in wife's passport or both. Is there a difference ?

Thanks.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Should we endorse wife's name in husband's passport or husband's name in wife's passport or both. Is there a difference ?
If you do decide on getting the endorsement done on the passports, then get it done on both passports. Doing it on just one passport does not really help you much coz you would still need to produce a marriage certificate to prove you are married.

Also on a side note, a UK Passport does not have spouse name mentioned on the passport (though information maintained on records), so if you are looking at getting a British Passport in a few years (looks like it based on the info you provided), then its your call if you want to go through the trouble & cost to get this endorsement on your Indian Passport (rather than just producing a marriage certificate when asked to do so; which is usually when you apply for a travel visa or some other process in which you need to prove that you are married) and then being sort of irrelevant when you get your UK Passport.

mkanagar

Post by mkanagar » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:33 pm

I found the passport application form in HCI website.
http://hcilondon.in/pdf/pdfform_1.pdf

But it does not say a word about endorsement.

Can you please help? Thanks.

krazydude
Member of Standing

Post by krazydude » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:44 pm

Change of name subsequent to marriage / remarriage / divorce / death of spouse

For Change of name subsequent to marriage/ remarriage / divorce/ death of spouse, applicant will be required to apply for new Passport enclosing marriage certificate/death certificate/divorce decree, as the case may be, with the application.
Requirements:

Application form for a new Passport in changed name/surname.

4 (four) Passport size (35 mm x 45 mm) identical photographs showing frontal view of full face with white background.

The current Passport alongwith photocopy having valid Visa or Residence Permit is required to be enclosed with photocopies of detail pages and Visa. In case the latest Passport is additional booklet(s) issued to the original Passport, the additional booklet(s) plus the original Passport must be furnished.

Original marriage certificate with a photocopy and Self attested photocopies of Passports of his/her spouse.

or
Divorcees applying for a change of name are required to furnish a divorce decree authenticated by the court.

or
In case of change of name following death of spouse, copy of death certificate of spouse.

or
Remarried applicants applying for change of name/change of spouse name will be required to produce divorce decree/death certificate in respect of first spouse, marriage certificate from the Registrar of Marriages and photocopy of present spouse’s Passport.

Here is the form

http://hcilondon.in/word/form_1.doc

And HCI Page - http://hcilondon.in/passport.php

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:09 pm

mkanagar wrote:Hi,
I would like to endorse my wife's name in my passport and my name in her passport. I am not asking for name change. just want to endorse spouse name in the passport.

Should i fill 2 applications for this?
who is the applicant myself or my wife?

And i dont see any option like endorsement in the application.
http://hcilondon.in/pdf/pdfform_1.pdf

what are the docs required for this?
can you please help?
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:10 pm

Please post your queries in the forum relevant for it. The query has nothing to do with "UK immigration".

That said, why do you want to do what you wish to do? It serves no practical useful purpose.

mkanagar

Post by mkanagar » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:54 pm

I think i posted in the right forum. Sorry if not.

I heard its very important to have spouse name endorsed in the passport if we are applying passport from India. That's why i am asking about it.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:26 pm

All I can say is that you have heard wrong.