ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I do self study to retake exams with remaining leave?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

jamie_w
Newly Registered

Can I do self study to retake exams with remaining leave?

Post by jamie_w » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:56 pm

Hi everyone,

About 2 years ago, I purchased a 14 papers package to study ACCA (accounting qualification) with a leading education provider. They gave me a Confirmation of Acceptance of Study with Start Date: 07/2010 and Expected End Date: 02/2013. With this, UKBA granted me a Tier 4 General Student visa valid until 06/2013.

Since there are ACCA exams every June and December, I thought if unfortunately I didn't pass all papers by 02/2013, I can do some self study for the remaining papers for June 2013 exams without studying with the education provider to save money.

But yesterday when I ask a member of staff at the education provider about this, he told me if I didn't pass all papers at that time I will have to study with them for the remaining papers to comply with the visa requirement. And if I am not, they will report to UKBA to withdraw from being my Tier 4 visa sponsor so I won't be able to stay until 06/2012. It seem more like a way to force me to pay them more money.

Anyone know if that's actually the case? I'd be really appreciated if someone can give me some advices.

Many thanks,

Jamie

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:30 pm

If you stop studying with your sponsor they are obliged to inform the UKBA. They are not trying to strong-arm you ; it's part of their legal responsibility as a T4 sponsor. In turn, your leave will then be curtailed to two months. You can find another sponsor and make an application if you so choose.

jamie_w
Newly Registered

Post by jamie_w » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi Lucapooka, many thanks for your reply.

My sponsor gave me a Confirmation of Acceptance of Study with Start Date: 07/2010 and Expected End Date: 02/2013. With this, UKBA granted me a Tier 4 General Student visa valid until 06/2013. That's 4 extra months after I received my December 2012 results in February 2013. Isn't that mean they prepared to let me stay until the end of June, as long as I comply the visa requirement to study 14 papers with my sponsor with good attendance and attempt my exams December 2012 exams?

Of course, I do hope to pass all papers by that time but these exams aren't easy and it's expensive for the course too. And I was hoping to do self study with these extra 4 months to pass the remaining exams in June 2013 if I failed any, because my visa valid until the end of June 2013 anyway. I can't really afford to pay for another course and renew my student visa, so the chance is I probably will go back home to finish my qualification there.

If I got my results and I passed all exams at that time, I won't continue study with my sponsor because I am qualified as an accountant. If I didn't pass all exams I will finish as a part-qualified accountant if I stop continue study with my sponsor. Is that mean either way, my sponsor will inform the UKBA I'm not longer a student with them, and as a result my leave will then be curtailed to two months and I won't be able to stay until the end of June 2013?

What do you think? Could you or anyone else give me some advices please?

Many thanks,

Jamie

Deviser

Post by Deviser » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:00 pm

jamie_w wrote:if I stop continue study with my sponsor. Is that mean either way, my sponsor will inform the UKBA I'm not longer a student with them, and as a result my leave will then be curtailed to two months and I won't be able to stay until the end of June 2013?
You answered your question dude. Thats is what gonna happen exactly!

jamie_w
Newly Registered

Post by jamie_w » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:22 pm

Hi Deviser, thanks for your reply. But, if this is the case why they gave me extra 4 months after the expected end date for my course? Isn't it make more sense to give me 2 extra months instead? I thought I'd be able to stay until the end of June as long as I complete the course for December 2012 exams with my sponsor.

Deviser

Post by Deviser » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:25 pm

jamie_w wrote:Hi Deviser, thanks for your reply. But, if this is the case why they gave me extra 4 months after the expected end date for my course?
Because its a Tier-4 law.
jamie_w wrote:Isn't it make more sense to give me 2 extra months instead? I thought I'd be able to stay until the end of June as long as I complete the course for December 2012 exams with my sponsor.
Because its not a Tier-4 law.

Deepshithole2010

Post by Deepshithole2010 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:41 pm

Dear Jamie,
After your course end date ie 02/13 you are not required to be studying with your sponsor. Your sponsor should inform UKBA that you are no longer a student because either you have finished the course or you no longer studying with them.(There is no distinction between the two as far as UKBA is concerned).
If you have a visa longer than 6 months remaining UKBA will curtail your leave to 2 months, however since your visa is expiring in 06/13 UKBA would not initiate any further action and you should be OK to sit for your exams in 06/13 by self studying (ACCA is an independent body and the tuition provider has nothing to do with your exam sitting).

demaxiya
BANNED

Post by demaxiya » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:42 am

It seem more like a way to force me to pay them more money