ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

j_angelo18
Newly Registered

Applying British citizenship

Post by j_angelo18 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi everyone,

I just want to ask if anyone knows if I can apply a British citizenship and I've been here for 10yrs now and married to a British but we no longer live together and I'm on benefits. I want to apply as a spouse but I'm not sure if I can.. We're not legally separated we just don't live together.. I asked him if I can use his passport and he said yes. I just don't want my benefits get affected or questioned by UKBA..

Thank you

Backer
Member of Standing

Post by Backer » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:44 pm

Do you have indefinite leave to reamin (ILR) status?
If no, then you can't for sure

j_angelo18
Newly Registered

Post by j_angelo18 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Hi backer

Yes I do have ILR.. Im not sure what documents they need if I apply not as a spouse.. Im trying to call but for some reason I can't get hold of them..

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:30 pm

Check the last page of Form AN.

asim72
BANNED

Re: Applying British citizenship

Post by asim72 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:53 am

j_angelo18 wrote:Hi everyone,

I just want to ask if anyone knows if I can apply a British citizenship and I've been here for 10yrs now and married to a British but we no longer live together and I'm on benefits. I want to apply as a spouse but I'm not sure if I can.. We're not legally separated we just don't live together.. I asked him if I can use his passport and he said yes. I just don't want my benefits get affected or questioned by UKBA..

Thank you
If you had ILR for past one year, and have been in UK legally for past 5 years then you can apply for Citizenship in your own right. There is no need to apply as spouse. Applying as spouse or on in your own right has no effect on the outcome of application if you meet requirements. Applying in your own right will have no effect on any other aspects of your life.
All you will need is application form, fees and your passport. I assume you did Life in the UK test when you applied for ILR.

Getting benefits makes no difference to citizenship application. There are no benefits questions in application form.

j_angelo18
Newly Registered

Post by j_angelo18 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:33 pm

Thank you for all your reply.l really do appreciate it.... :o