ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

More about EU residency

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

antoniolgj
Newly Registered

More about EU residency

Post by antoniolgj » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:58 pm

Hi all,

I see that many people is struggling with this residence permit for EU spouses, I think you guys call it EU1.

So, I'm a Brazilian citizen my wife and 2 children are born in Finland. I've been lived in Finland for 5 years now, and have permanent resident permit and all other doc like social security card, drive licence etc. I could apply for Finnish citizenship, but they require Finnish language and I don't speak a word.

Well now we are planning to go to Ireland and I know that I also have to apply for a residency card, but my question is that once one EU state has already granted me the permanent residency and all other rights if this can make any difference in my application in there? Has any one of you guys have a residency permit from your spouse home country? If so did it make difference?

Thanks,

Antonio Garcia.

antoniolgj
Newly Registered

Post by antoniolgj » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:38 am

Hi,

Could anyone post a comment/opinion on this please?

Thanks,

Antonio

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:58 pm

How have you managed to live in Finland so long and yet speak no Finnish?

If you read the other posts on the forum, it's clear that a Finnish passport would make your life substantially easier in another EEA state.

Is it possible to change plans and obtain your Finnish citizenship, even if it means some language lessons?

antoniolgj
Newly Registered

Post by antoniolgj » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:45 pm

You're totally right, a Finnish passport would make my life very ease, but they are very strictly with this point, you must speak the language.

I didn't learn the language cause I never wanted to stay there. It was for a couple of months but it turned out 5 years. My intention was to go back to UK ASAP.

The problem is that after been in a country for 2 weeks I was already called for a interview in Nokia, my wife has sent my cv around, and 1 week later I started as senior R&D engineer, then started to be a bit difficult to leave the country, especially cause during this time we had 2 children born in Finland.

Well now I could convince my wife to leave and I need to use this window before it closes. That's way I'm checking all the possibilities.

What I would like to know is if someone has applied Irish residence permit having it from another member state and if this has helped.

Thanks again for all comments/suggestions.

Cheers,

Antonio

cartaverde

Post by cartaverde » Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:39 pm

Oi Antonio,

Finnish language is a real pain .. but if it would make it any better, you could also learn Swedish instead. At least Swedish is easier to learn, and doing Swedish test is ok for that same citizenship test.

Hopefully there is a way for you to not go thru the 6 months governement sitting on your passport and the marriage certificate while unable to work...