ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement Visa for Both Parents (Under 65) & Sister Ove

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mansoor8
Newly Registered

Settlement Visa for Both Parents (Under 65) & Sister Ove

Post by mansoor8 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:30 am

I am a born and bred British citizen (am in the UK working, renting a place and have some savings) and intend to apply for a settlement visa for both of my parents (under 65) and my sister (over 18 ).

The situation is that both of may parents and sister are currently residing in the middle east where there is no law with regards to an indefinite stay after a cetain number of years of working there. It's a work permit situation, which once expires after three years, which people generally renew it provided they have a job. However after reaching the age of 60 this option is no longer available. My mother is terminally ill and a dependant of my father. My sister 20, who is reading medicine, is ofcourse a dependant of my parents.

My question or advice if you like is can I apply a family settlement visa on the basis of my nothers health and a moral and physical family support via one VAF2 form for both my parents and another for my sister ? taking into account that both my parents are under 65, sister over 20. Father still has a job and some savings.

I also understand that another option would be a HSMP for my father as he is a degree holder engineer (with his wife my father as a dependant) and possibly my sister too. Another option I came across was a business setup category but that requires £200K of investment ?? Any opinions ??

Having read quite a few of the posts I do undertsand that the family steetlement step may prove to be difficult, but I am just looking for a possible way of getting my family over here.

Any advice or suggestions, please

Thanks,

Mansoor

mansoor8
Newly Registered

Post by mansoor8 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:07 pm

Any updates or feedback on the above ?

JAJ
Australia

Re: Settlement Visa for Both Parents (Under 65) & Sister

Post by JAJ » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:12 pm

mansoor8 wrote:I am a born and bred British citizen (am in the UK working, renting a place and have some savings) and intend to apply for a settlement visa for both of my parents (under 65) and my sister (over 18 ).
Not easy. Read sections 317-319 of the Immigration Rules:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/lawand ... ules/part8

You may then want to read the relevant section of the Immigration Directorate Instructions.

mansoor8
Newly Registered

Post by mansoor8 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:44 pm

Thanks Jaj for your comments,

I appreciate its going to be difficult, but I guess it has to be done.

As I read the information, both my parents can apply on the same application form, the VF2. However, a separate form will be needed for my sister as she is over 18 and therefore can not be included in with the parents application form ??

John

Post by John » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:15 pm

Your parents have separate passports? If so, they surely need their own form VAF2.

I wish you well in the endeavour to get these visas for your family members, but you will no doubt appreciate that success is not guaranteed, indeed I would be surprised if they were all granted.
John

olisun
Diamond Member

Re: Settlement Visa for Both Parents (Under 65) & Sister

Post by olisun » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:09 pm

mansoor8 wrote:I am a born and bred British citizen (am in the UK working, renting a place and have some savings) and intend to apply for a settlement visa for both of my parents (under 65) and my sister (over 18 ).

The situation is that both of may parents and sister are currently residing in the middle east
If you are born and bred British citizen how come your parents don't have ILR at the minimum?

mansoor8
Newly Registered

Post by mansoor8 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:45 pm

Hello Olison,

The answer to your question is that both my parents were working and living, before 1983, in the UK for a period of 7 years and I was here in 1977. And as far I know there was this rule about children getting Citizenship, regardless of the status of the parents.

Unfortunately they didn't exercise any option with regards to ILR or similar at the time and hence the dilemma!!

Mansoor

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:16 pm

It is worth bearing in mind, Olisun, that the present legislation restricting the acquisition of British nationality by birth to the children of BC or "settled" parents only came into force on 1 January 1983. Prior to that, children born in UK were automatically British, regardless of their parents' status. The only exception to the general rule was that children of foreign diplomats serving in UK were excluded from getting British nationality by birth. The situation before 1983 was much the same as it still is in the USA...
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:03 pm

ppron747 wrote:It is worth bearing in mind, Olisun, that the present legislation restricting the acquisition of British nationality by birth to the children of BC or "settled" parents only came into force on 1 January 1983. Prior to that, children born in UK were automatically British, regardless of their parents' status. The only exception to the general rule was that children of foreign diplomats serving in UK were excluded from getting British nationality by birth. The situation before 1983 was much the same as it still is in the USA...
yes, I know about this rule, but the OP did not mention that in his original post and hence the question

mansoor8
Newly Registered

Post by mansoor8 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:06 pm

The application had been submitted for my Parents and my Sister a few weeks ago. Now all 3 of them have been asked to attend an interview with the Visa Officer.

But there is a slight problem... My father and Sister can attend but mother is unable to (she is pretty ill - on the bed mostly, and hence the reason for the settlement process). My father explained this is to someone on the Counter at the British Embassy in Dubai, but they said that all 3 would have to attend and not 2, as this is stated on the letter that was given out by the British Embassy in Dubai.

Any Comments or Suggestions Please - The interview is taking place tomorrow !!, and it is practically impossible for my mother to make it.

Thanks,

mansoor8
Newly Registered

Post by mansoor8 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:05 pm

Unfortunately the settlement application was declined for all 3 i.e my parents and my sister.

However, the visa officer has informed about a process of appealing against his/ the embassys' decision from within the U.K

Does any anyone know how to best go about this ? and what the process actually entails ?

Thanks

man1976

Post by man1976 » Sat Dec 23, 2006 12:05 pm

Sad to hear that.
I would advise you to consult a lawyer in this regards.

What are the main reasons. Have they given an explaination to why they have refused.