ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried Partner Visa - need advice

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

a1d
Newly Registered

Unmarried Partner Visa - need advice

Post by a1d » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:25 pm

I hope someone can give me some guidance on this.

I am planning to apply for the unmarried partner visa but something doesn't make sense to me.

My partner has been working for his employer in the UK since April and will complete his minimum 6 month requirement in Oct. When he started his job he was earning slightly less than the £18,600 minimum threshold introduced by the government on 9th July. Since the start of August his wages have increased to above the threshold.

My question is, would we have to wait until he completes 6 months at this new salary level, or can we apply in Oct taking into account he started his job in April?

Hope someone else out there has some information on this as it's not entirely clear on the UKBA website. Although I did manage to find the following information:

Where the applicant’s partner and/or the applicant (if they are in the UK with permission to
work) is in salaried employment at the point of application and has been with the same
employer for at least the last 6 months, the applicant can count the gross annual salary (at
its lowest level in those 6 months) towards the financial requirement.

It doesn't mention whether or not the applicant has to be earning the minimum financial requirement throughout the the six months.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Amar

Casa

Post by Casa » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:30 pm

I believe it does, which is (badly) explained in this: the applicant can count the gross annual salary (at its lowest level in those 6 months). i.e if you calculated his lower earnings at the start of his employment for gross earnings (before tax), it would be below the minimum £18,600 required.

As you're applying for an Unmarried Partner Visa, I'm assuming you're living in the UK. Do you have an income?

a1d
Newly Registered

Unmarried partner Visa - HELP

Post by a1d » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Hi!

Thanks for the reply. No I will be applying from outside the UK and I don't think my income can count towards the threshold. Or can it?

Regards,

A

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:36 am

If your income isn't UK based income - then no it can't.

Casa

Re: Unmarried partner Visa - HELP

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:20 pm

a1d wrote:Hi!

Thanks for the reply. No I will be applying from outside the UK and I don't think my income can count towards the threshold. Or can it?

Regards,

A
I didn't raise the question for the purpose of checking your income as you're right that this won't be counted. I'm confused as to how you feel you will qualify for an Unmarried Partner Visa if your partner's been living in the UK without you for what appears to be at least 6 months? How long have you lived together in a relationship 'akin to marriage' and how long have you been living apart?