ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

tier 4 student visitor clarification

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

funky30
BANNED

tier 4 student visitor clarification

Post by funky30 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Hello All,

as you may have seen my previous post in regard to tier 4 general, my brother can not visit the UK to study english at basic level followed by university

he first needs to come as student visitor and then pass the B2 exam then comeback and do the university course.

i have few questions and appreciate your input:

1. on the UKBA website it is mentioned that he can be sponsored for accommodation and course fees as stated below:

quote from UKBA website
"
You must also be able to show that:

1.you are 18 or over;
2.you intend to visit the UK for no more than 6 months (or 11 months if 3.you will be undertaking an English Language course - see below);
4.you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
5.you have enough money to support and accommodate yourself without working or help from public funds, or you and any dependants will be supported and accommodated by relatives or friends;
6.you can meet the cost of the return or onward journey; and
you are not in transit to a country outside the 'Common Travel Area' (Ireland, the UK, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands).
"

as mentioned i have a full time job and happy to accomadate him and pay all of his course fees, what documents would i need to send?
i think it will be,
copy of my passport and visa,
copy of my home contract
copy of my payslips ( 3 month)
a letter confirming that it is ok for she to stay with me and i will accept all of the costs,

can i do that as his brother or does it have to be my parents that need to do that ?
can this include his travel costs? would he still need to provide any financial documents if i sent all above docs?

many thanks

Deepshithole2010

Post by Deepshithole2010 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:36 pm

Tier 4 policy states that you cannot be your brothers sponsor it could only be his legal guardian which would be his parents.

However good news is there is no specific guidance given with regards to the maintenance fund required for the student visitor visa, however the policy states that you need to show evidence that you have enough money to support your stay and this could be reduced if you are staying with a family member or a friend but you do need to produce evidence of this.

I assume that would depend what status you as his brother have in UK ie settled/LTR. If you have a F/T or P/T job or self employed, proof of your earnings salary slips etc,your last 3 months bank statements whether you own/rent a house, if renting a letter from landlord to confirm he is happy for your brother to stay with you etc etc....

funky30
BANNED

Post by funky30 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:12 am

well when it said a relative or family that got me confused and doubtful, i believe that means anyone close to the person

the issue is intensive ielts course costs arm and a leg, it is minimum of £200 per week thus around 6k for 7-8 month which should get him to ielts 6, is that equivalent to B2?
I looked at some college course which are not private English college and it is a general colleage. Their fees are much more reasonable such as £300 per course and each course is around 2 month thus if I enrol him for 4 courses and pay in advance would they issue a 8 month visa?

Thanks

Deepshithole2010

Post by Deepshithole2010 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:34 am

I am not sure if your brother can take English language course outside of university as a student visitor visa need to demonstrate that he would join an accredited tuition provider and apply for his tier 4 after finishing English language course ie letter from university that they would accept him provided he satisfactorily completes his course.

If you go to a 3rd party provider and not your intended university they may not gave give you this evidence

Get moderators views on this issue as i am not 100% sure on this

funky30
BANNED

Post by funky30 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:37 pm

hi,
does the course have to be a certain number of hours per week ?

for example 10 hours per week?.

there is a course which is 5 hours per week which i want to apply for

one starts from Jan 2013 to March 2013 and the other from april 2013 to July .
there is a one month gap in between, is that acceptable ?

Deepshithole2010

Post by Deepshithole2010 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:20 pm

There is no min/max per week period of study required for a student visitor visa.

The key is that whosoever he is studying with needs to have a tier 4 sponsor licence and he is not allowed to switch sponsor ie by changing course.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:02 pm

Deepshithole2010 wrote:I am not sure if your brother can take English language course outside of university as a student visitor visa need to demonstrate that he would join an accredited tuition provider and apply for his tier 4 after finishing English language course ie letter from university that they would accept him provided he satisfactorily completes his course.

If you go to a 3rd party provider and not your intended university they may not gave give you this evidence

Get moderators views on this issue as i am not 100% sure on this
there is no requirement for a student visitor to show they would apply for tier 4 following completion of their course and indeed it is not possible to switch from student visitor to tier 4. Student visitors do not need to study at a university and neither would a university only admit students who have studied English with them first.

The education provider either needs to be a tier 4 sponsor or accredited or audited by certain bodies. See here-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... uirements/

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:03 pm

Deepshithole2010 wrote:There is no min/max per week period of study required for a student visitor visa.

The key is that whosoever he is studying with needs to have a tier 4 sponsor licence and he is not allowed to switch sponsor ie by changing course.

this is incorrect- student visitors are not restricted to studying with one sponsor and nor does the sponsor have to be on the tier 4 list.

Greenie
Respected Guru

Post by Greenie » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:07 pm

funky30 wrote:hi,
does the course have to be a certain number of hours per week ?

for example 10 hours per week?.

there is a course which is 5 hours per week which i want to apply for

one starts from Jan 2013 to March 2013 and the other from april 2013 to July .
there is a one month gap in between, is that acceptable ?
i don't know how a person can learn English sufficient to study at degree level by only studying 5 hours per Week. Unless the course is one course of over 6 months duration the visa will only be granted for a maximum of 6 months-Jan to July is 7 months but as it is for two separate courses it wouldn't fall under the concession for extended English language course.