ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Complex Permutation - Naturalization; Number of days absent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

slashhypha
Newly Registered

Complex Permutation - Naturalization; Number of days absent

Post by slashhypha » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:53 am

Hi,

I just got granted ILR on the 9th August 2012.
Under normal circumstances, I should apply for citizenship 8th August 2013.

However this is not possible for me.

The problem is here:
- I'm on a secondment/assignment in NYC with my work for 1 year dates from 1 June 2012 - 30 May 2013.
- It may or may not involve trips back home to the UK.

Question is:
- Do you see anything that would make me ineligible if I applied on 1 March 2014 ( 9months after I arrive back to the UK on 1 June 2013 ).
- At that point total number of absent days in the past 12months on the ILR would be 90.
- Total number of days absent 2 March 2009 - 1 March 2014 would be roughly 400days (based on my protracted absences calculation)

Is this too funky? Is there something else I should be aware about?

Also (if I dare ask), would you think the UKBA could disregard my secondment as due to work related absences? (my gut feel is no)

Thanks all

Glc

Post by Glc » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:59 am

If you may, then I suggest that you just wait until you meet the residential standard requirement period. Discretion is supposedly allowed by HO but I have yet to meet someone who has taken the risk in using discretion in their application :)

Here's the link about discretion in absences from ukba:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... cesfromuk/

kumar17

Post by kumar17 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:57 am

Surely if you stayed out for that long, you will not been the 90day period but also the preceding 5year stay in the year.

I think you would have to start the 5year residency clock again after you return

Is this correct Senior members?

mcovet
BANNED

Re: Complex Permutation - Naturalization; Number of days abs

Post by mcovet » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:05 am

slashhypha wrote:Hi,

I just got granted ILR on the 9th August 2012.
Under normal circumstances, I should apply for citizenship 8th August 2013.

However this is not possible for me.

The problem is here:
- I'm on a secondment/assignment in NYC with my work for 1 year dates from 1 June 2012 - 30 May 2013.
- It may or may not involve trips back home to the UK.

Question is:
- Do you see anything that would make me ineligible if I applied on 1 March 2014 ( 9months after I arrive back to the UK on 1 June 2013 ).
- At that point total number of absent days in the past 12months on the ILR would be 90.
- Total number of days absent 2 March 2009 - 1 March 2014 would be roughly 400days (based on my protracted absences calculation)

Is this too funky? Is there something else I should be aware about?

Also (if I dare ask), would you think the UKBA could disregard my secondment as due to work related absences? (my gut feel is no)

Thanks all
your calculation is correct, without us knowing your other absences from 03/09-03/14 and assuming you calculated all absences accurately, you would have to "do" 9 months inside the UK once u r back. The link shows u the situations where they could disregard your absences, if u fall into any category, let us know,.otherwise 03/14 it is then. do not worry, no ither requirement will be added (apart from the language test which u'd passed already) so it's just a matter of time! enjoy NyC!