ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Resignation dilemma

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

arnie365

Resignation dilemma

Post by arnie365 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:52 pm

I am on a permanent payroll with my agency and I want to change job asap. But my 2 months notice period clause is making my profile "unattractive" to recruitment agents whose clients always want the candidate "immediately on board". Should I resign first and look for a job offer so my availability becomes more and more "attractive" as I get closer to my employment end date;Or to be on the safe side wait for a job offer and then resign?

Also I want to keep good relation with my current agency for future references. So, would like to resign on good terms :-).
Most times recruiters ask if my notice period is negotiable.
What's the best way to negotiate the notice period with my agency for an early release?
Advise pls!!

AccountantMatthew
Member of Standing

Post by AccountantMatthew » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:07 am

I'm not associated with the site below in any way but I have heard from some contractors that their guides section can be useful. You may find something here:

http://www.contractorcalculator.co.uk/Contracting.aspx

In lieu of not being lucky with what you want to hear on this board, there are also a few contractor forums buzzing about so you may also get some tips from them.
Please don't private message me or e-mail me for free personal advice - you are just wasting your time writing something that won't get answered.
Anything written here shouldn't be construed as being formal advice given in a professional capacity.

cisco3181

Post by cisco3181 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:12 pm

I was in a worse situation a few months ago as my notice period was 90 days (3 months). No one was ready to wait for that long, so I had to resign and then look for job.

Luckily for me I managed to get two jobs after resigning and I was released by my company after 2 months itself.

I guess you need to take your chances. Go ahead and resign and then look for a job (only if you are ready to face the consequences, as you may end up jobless after 2 months).

To be honest you have to take a decision. I know it is not an easy one but you have to.

All the best.

republique
BANNED

Re: Resignation dilemma

Post by republique » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:55 pm

arnie365 wrote:I am on a permanent payroll with my agency and I want to change job asap. But my 2 months notice period clause is making my profile "unattractive" to recruitment agents whose clients always want the candidate "immediately on board". Should I resign first and look for a job offer so my availability becomes more and more "attractive" as I get closer to my employment end date;Or to be on the safe side wait for a job offer and then resign?

Also I want to keep good relation with my current agency for future references. So, would like to resign on good terms :-).
Most times recruiters ask if my notice period is negotiable.
What's the best way to negotiate the notice period with my agency for an early release?
Advise pls!!
I hate that situation too but I wouldn't resign in this economy.
Frankly if the company wants you they will wait for you
however, once you find the job most companies wont make you wait the whole period because they know your heart isnt in it.