ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Naturalization

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

alpha_1

Spouse Naturalization

Post by alpha_1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi,
I got my naturalization recently and I wanted to apply for my wife on the basis of 3 Years residency.

She is on Stamp # 3 which means she did not work till now. But also did not claim any benefits.

So I am sending following documents in support of her application.

1. Completed Naturalisation Application Form (Form 8 ).
2. Marriage Certificate :
a. Certified copy of original Marriage Certificate.
b. Affidavit for original Marriage Certificate. (as original marriage cert is not in long form)
3. Birth Certificate :
a. Certified copy of original Birth Certificate.
b. Affidavit for original Birth certificate. I am submitting affidavit, because my original Birth Certificate is not in the Long Form.
4. Copy of the current GNIB Card.
5. Copy of Bank statement (3 months)
6. Copy of all the Pages of the passport:
7. Copy of relevant Pages for the passport showing the GNIB residency stamps and Irish re-entry visa stickers.
8 ) Husband Naturalization Certificate Copy.

I don't think any P21/P60 can be submitted since she did not work.

Do you guys think any more document is required?

Malika

Re: Spouse Naturalization

Post by Malika » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:15 pm

alpha_1 wrote:Hi,
I got my naturalization recently and I wanted to apply for my wife on the basis of 3 Years residency.

She is on Stamp # 3 which means she did not work till now. But also did not claim any benefits.

b. Affidavit for original Marriage Certificate. (as original marriage cert is not in long form)

3. Birth Certificate :
b. Affidavit for original Birth certificate. I am submitting affidavit, because my original Birth Certificate is not in the Long Form.
7. Copy of relevant Pages for the passport showing the GNIB residency stamps and Irish re-entry visa stickers.

Please, Clarify the part in bold........are you applying for Naturalisation for your spouse on the basis of 3 year residency? what is the basis for your application? Spouse of an Irish national?
You say that you were recently Naturalised yourself...........I think to apply as a spouse of Irish National, you might have to count from the day you were naturalised going forward.

I may be wrong, hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable might answer you.

Regards,
'If you compare yourself to others,you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself'............DESIDERATA

ardee

Post by ardee » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Malika wrote:

3. Birth Certificate :

Please, Clarify the part in bold........are you applying for Naturalisation for your spouse on the basis of 3 year residency? what is the basis for your application? Spouse of an Irish national?
You say that you were recently Naturalised yourself...........I think to apply as a spouse of Irish National, you might have to count from the day you were naturalised going forward.

I may be wrong, hopefully someone who is more knowledgeable might answer you.

Regards,

You are very wrong my dear, If your spouse has three (3) years reckownable residence and with the last year continous then your spouse is qualified to submit his/her form for Naturalisation. The issue of not working does not coming as long as your family is self sufficient and you are not a burden on the state. That is all that you need.Goodluck

Malika

Post by Malika » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:37 pm

"You are very wrong my dear, If your spouse has three (3) years reckownable residence and with the last year continous then your spouse is qualified to submit his/her form for Naturalisation. The issue of not working does not coming as long as your family is self sufficient and you are not a burden on the state. That is all that you need.Goodluck"

My understanding is that he is himself a Naturalised Irish Citizen recently, wants to apply for spouse on basis of being married to an Irish Citizen. What I said is that he can't apply now until 3 years., counting from the day he was naturalised because even if he was married for more than 3 years before being naturalised it doesn't count. I wanted him to clarify how long ago he was Naturalised as this would determine on what basis he would make the application for a spouse of Irish National.

Just to give an example,
If I were granted Citizenship say 3 months ago, and wanted to apply for Naturalisation for my wife (she being dependent on me with stamp 3) I don't think the application would be valid.

Regards,
'If you compare yourself to others,you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself'............DESIDERATA

khan24

Post by khan24 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:53 pm

Alpha_1 that's all you need man but i think just attached your p21 as a extra supporting document bcos your wife's dependent on you.

@Malika..i don't think so that dependent person needs to wait another 3 years to gets his/her citizenship..doubtful

lolo82
Canada

Post by lolo82 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:10 pm

khan24 wrote:Alpha_1 that's all you need man but i think just attached your p21 as a extra supporting document bcos your wife's dependent on you.

@Malika..i don't think so that dependent person needs to wait another 3 years to gets his/her citizenship..doubtful
this is from www.inis.gov.ie

Q. Can my spouse and children apply at the same time?
A. Any person over 18 years of age who fulfils the statutory criteria can apply for a certificate of naturalisation. Normally, an application on behalf of a minor child cannot be made until one of the parents or guardians is naturalised.

Ive not seen anything online that has said that a wife/husbnad needs to wait 3 years to apply for naturalisation after the spouse gets it. Please correct me if Im incorrect

alpha_1

Post by alpha_1 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:23 am

Hi All,

Thanks for all your reply.

I heard some cases who have similar circumstances as me. i.e. they like me got the naturalization cert this year and their spouses were living with them for the last 3+ years and they applied.

I think there is no problem applying that way.

khan24: thanks, I will attach my P60 or P21 to prove that I can support my family.

Cheers

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:25 pm

Malika is correct. You need to be an Irish citizen for 3 years and married to your wife for that duration before she can apply for naturalisation as the spouse of an Irish national. Otherwise, the normal 5 year rule applies.
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

ardee

Post by ardee » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:22 am

Monifé wrote:Malika is correct. You need to be an Irish citizen for 3 years and married to your wife for that duration before she can apply for naturalisation as the spouse of an Irish national. Otherwise, the normal 5 year rule applies.
I dont like people advising others wrongly, you do not need three years after naturalisation before you can put in application for your spouse if your spouse has spent up to three years reckownable residence in the state. Stop confusing people, if you do not know it is better to keep quiet, please see the below copies from inis website.

Evidence of residency permission i.e. a copy of your passport(s) showing residency permission stamps for a period of 1 year immediately prior to the application and 2 years in the 4 year period before that, equalling 3 years in total, or alternatively proof of residence in the State for this period. Please submit three different proofs of residence for each year showing your name and address and date of issue i.e. household bills (gas, electricity, phone or cable/satellite TV), bank statements, revenue letters, mortgage agreement, social welfare, letter from employment, doctors letter etc.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:32 pm

but the question is, will the time spent in the state on other basis, not as a spouse of irish national, since the spouse wasn;t irish then, count towards the 3 years required as a spouse of irish citizen...
it is up to the citizenship section to answer this question anjd to set it straight for all, as there are a lot of queries in relation to the same question that noone knows the answer

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 pm

ardee wrote:
Monifé wrote:Malika is correct. You need to be an Irish citizen for 3 years and married to your wife for that duration before she can apply for naturalisation as the spouse of an Irish national. Otherwise, the normal 5 year rule applies.
I dont like people advising others wrongly, you do not need three years after naturalisation before you can put in application for your spouse if your spouse has spent up to three years reckownable residence in the state.Stop confusing people, if you do not know it is better to keep quiet, please see the below copies from inis website.

Evidence of residency permission i.e. a copy of your passport(s) showing residency permission stamps for a period of 1 year immediately prior to the application and 2 years in the 4 year period before that, equalling 3 years in total, or alternatively proof of residence in the State for this period. Please submit three different proofs of residence for each year showing your name and address and date of issue i.e. household bills (gas, electricity, phone or cable/satellite TV), bank statements, revenue letters, mortgage agreement, social welfare, letter from employment, doctors letter etc.
I take offense to the sentence in bold. You have only been a member of this forum for a very short space of time so you wouldn't know the huge amount of invaluable advice I have already given to members over the years.

Also, the extract from the INIS website tells us absolutely nothing. If someone gets naturalisation this year, their spouse cannot apply as the spouse of an Irish national because they HAVE NOT been married to and living with an Irish national for 3 years. They are counted as an Irish citizen from the date on their naturalisation certificate and any time spent on this island before then, is as a non-EU national.
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

Malika

Post by Malika » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:15 am

agniukas wrote:but the question is, will the time spent in the state on other basis, not as a spouse of irish national, since the spouse wasn;t irish then, count towards the 3 years required as a spouse of irish citizen...
it is up to the citizenship section to answer this question anjd to set it straight for all, as there are a lot of queries in relation to the same question that noone knows the answer
No answer is forthcoming unless someone who was Naturalised and subsequently had the wife Naturalised can comment, otherwise the rest is hearsay.
but just to give an example.............. when someone is granted Refugee Status, they apply for Naturalisation after 3 years reckonable residency, the time spent as an asylum seeker is not counted. It doesn't matter whether one is claiming Social welfare or not as a Recognised Refugee is granted the same rights an Irish National (so going by this, you can't just apply for Naturalisation because of this rights, you have to meet certain conditions)...... let's extrapolate with the spouse of Irish National, I tend to think that the Statutory conditions will have to be met before the application is deemed valid.

Regards,

Malika

Post by Malika » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:21 am

@ Monife..........I have been reading your advice especially with regard to EU Treaty Rights and you have very sound and Knowledgable advice as it is coming from experience......... keep up the good work! I tend to agree with what you say!

Regards,

adlexy

Post by adlexy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:58 am

3. Birth Certificate :

Except INIS comes back to us with a different interpretation to this query and set aside the rules guiding qualification, I will suggest that Monife is ABSOLUTELY spot-on and I agree with the deduction. Your spouse has only been married to an Irish citizen from the date on your Certificate of Naturalisation. However, it may be a brilliant opportunity to use this as a test case; although to be honest, I am almost certain what the response from Tipperary will be :). Yet, it will be nice if you could come back and tell us what the outcome is.

All the best

xxxtieee

Post by xxxtieee » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:49 am

Guys, I would like to present a reasonable argument to disagree with the senior members in this case.

Here is an excerpt from the related statement in INIS website.

"Notwithstanding the provisions of section 15, the Minister may, in his or her absolute discretion, grant an application for a certificate of naturalisation to the non-national spouse or civil partner of an Irish citizen if satisfied that the applicant—

is of full age,
is of good character,
and that citizen—

(i) are married to each other, have been married to each other for a period of not less than 3 years, and are living together, as attested to by affidavit submitted by the citizen to the Minister in the prescribed form, or

(ii)are civil partners of each other, have been civil partners of each other for a period of not less than 3 years, and are living together, as attested to by affidavit submitted by the citizen to the Minister in the prescribed form"

It is only fair to assume that, all the qualifications/requirements above should be met AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION. Which is:

> "the non-national spouse or civil partner of an Irish citizen" (at the time of submitting application)
> "are married to each other, have been married to each other for a period of not less than 3 years, and are living together" (At the time of submitting application)

Please note: the terminology used is "married to each other" for 3 years and NOT "married to an irish national" for 3 years.

Now where from the above INIS statement are you deducing that the non national's residency count starts from after the naturalization of the spouse?

Unless it is spelt out clearly as an additional stipulation, IMHO, it is advisable to take the simplistic/most-evident view.
-xxxtieee-

Malika

Post by Malika » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:10 pm

This matter would be put to bed if we could have someone comment who has actually gone through the process.........

Being a Naturalised Irish citizen as opposed to a natural born Citizen are two different categories which come with some conditions.(e.g If an Naturalised Irish Citizen was to go and live abroad, they have to register their intention of remaining an Irish national)

'Hundreds of naturalised Irish citizens could lose their citizenship if the State decides to fully implement the terms and conditions of naturalisation, it has emerged.'

http://metroeireann.com/article/new-iri ... nship,3326

I guess you've never been asked, "But..........Where are you from originally?"

Regards,

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi,

I finally managed to get an answer and hope this issue can be put to bed for good:

'As long as the couple are married 3 year and in a subsisting marriage and the non-EU citizen is living here 3 years and is registered with GNIB for permission to remain, the non-EU citizen can apply for naturalisation on the basis of being married to an Irish Citizen from the day their spouse become an Irish citizen.'

So, as long as the non-EU spouse of the Naturalised Irish has 3 years of reckonable residence, they can apply as a spouse of irish national even if their spouse has been IRISH for a day :)
I guess there will be loads of new applications now from the people who were holding off applying till now.
Good luck to all.

ardee

Post by ardee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:31 pm

agniukas wrote:Hi,

I finally managed to get an answer and hope this issue can be put to bed for good:

'As long as the couple are married 3 year and in a subsisting marriage and the non-EU citizen is living here 3 years and is registered with GNIB for permission to remain, the non-EU citizen can apply for naturalisation on the basis of being married to an Irish Citizen from the day their spouse become an Irish citizen.'

So, as long as the non-EU spouse of the Naturalised Irish has 3 years of reckonable residence, they can apply as a spouse of irish national even if their spouse has been IRISH for a day :)
I guess there will be loads of new applications now from the people who were holding off applying till now.
Good luck to all.

Thank you for this post. I believe that settles the issue.

ardee

Post by ardee » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:38 pm

Monifé wrote:
ardee wrote:
I dont like people advising others wrongly, you do not need three years after naturalisation before you can put in application for your spouse if your spouse has spent up to three years reckownable residence in the state.Stop confusing people, if you do not know it is better to keep quiet, please see the below copies from inis website.

I take offense to the sentence in bold. You have only been a member of this forum for a very short space of time so you wouldn't know the huge amount of invaluable advice I have already given to members over the years.

Also, the extract from the INIS website tells us absolutely nothing. If someone gets naturalisation this year, their spouse cannot apply as the spouse of an Irish national because they HAVE NOT been married to and living with an Irish national for 3 years. They are counted as an Irish citizen from the date on their naturalisation certificate and any time spent on this island before then, is as a non-EU national.
@Monife: My intention is not to cause offence to anyone, so if any word i used in my post offends you , i tender an unreserved apology. I just like to render advice based on the accuracy of the law.

viking

Spouse naturalisation timelines

Post by viking » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:26 pm

Hi Friends,

1. Does any one know the timelines for spouse naturalisation application.

2. My wife applied a month ago and it was acknowledged last week by the initial processing team.

3. Wondering what would be the next stage(s) before getting her Naturalisation Approval?

Thanks in advance..
Vk.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:48 pm

answer to number 3 : waiting :)