ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

General discussion after BC and Passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

vrks
Newly Registered

Re: Benefits effects on British Citizenship applications

Post by vrks » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:21 pm

Aborigine wrote:Hello Folks ,

I have been reading this forum website for a very long time. I got my first marriage settlement visa and then my ILR using this precious knowledge source so thank you so much for everything you shared here.

I am approaching the finale , as you guess British Citizenship (Happy ending ) and I have a question . I didn’t want to create pollution in the forum space as you know there are far too many topics so I chose this section if this is wrong I am sorry , forgive me.

Yes dear forum society ; I have been having problems at work which seems unsolvable even though I tried everything. I am planning to give notice , leave my job and apply for Job Seekers Allowance for a while (Until I find another job) In this case , would my British Citizenship application be effected ? would they refuse or suspend my citizenship because of getting benefits.

I am going to apply for my British Citizenship next March 2013 so 7 months to go and nightmares have already started .

Thanks for your replies in advance.
Cheers
Hi

Once you are on ILR you are entitled for job seekers allowance and no where in the form do they ask you whether you work or not so it is completely fine.
Other members please correct me if i am wrong.

Aborigine
Newly Registered

Benefits effects on British Citizenship applications

Post by Aborigine » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:42 pm

Hello vrks ,

Thank you so much for your swift reply , i checked Home Office website and i have not seen anything about this so i am gonna go where the life takes me.

Regards to forum society

Thanks once again.

HappyToHelp247
Newly Registered

Re: Benefits effects on British Citizenship applications

Post by HappyToHelp247 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:42 am

Aborigine wrote:Hello vrks ,

Thank you so much for your swift reply , i checked Home Office website and i have not seen anything about this so i am gonna go where the life takes me.

Regards to forum society

Thanks once again.

Hi, there is one section on form called Good Character Requirement where you have to provide your working status. thanks

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:46 pm

theautomator wrote:
vrks wrote: I went online n to track your application there is a form that needs to be submitted. I did that yesterday and still awaiting response.
It took them 5 days to respond when I used the form.
I got a response today within 1/2 hour after sending it.

Interestingly, even though it was sent to Newport, the response said it has been processed at Durham office.

They also said interview letter was sent out today [not bad, considering I applied on 14/08] 2nd Class post, we'll see how long it takes to get here...

malik0073
Newly Registered

Post by malik0073 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:25 pm

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Naturalisation eligibility
Hello guys!
I just got a question to all senior members on this board,
Can I apply for naturalisation on 3yrs student visa+2yrs spouse visa+1month ILR.????please

malik0073
Newly Registered

Post by malik0073 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:26 pm

Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Naturalisation eligibility
Hello guys!
I just got a question to all senior members on this board,
Can I apply for naturalisation on 3yrs student visa+2yrs spouse visa+1month ILR.????please

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:42 pm

jms_uk wrote:They also said interview letter was sent out today [not bad, considering I applied on 14/08] 2nd Class post, we'll see how long it takes to get here...
It arrived today, 1st Class :o :)

vrks
Newly Registered

Post by vrks » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:07 pm

jms_uk wrote:
jms_uk wrote:They also said interview letter was sent out today [not bad, considering I applied on 14/08] 2nd Class post, we'll see how long it takes to get here...
It arrived today, 1st Class :o :)
:) I never got a reply from them
I called them today in the morning but they said they can't tell me anything before 3 weeks
Will update here once I get anything
I am sure the interview office in london would be quite busy so might have to go out of london to get a sooner appointment as I have to travel for work reason but delaying just coz I don't have passport yet.

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:39 pm

vrks wrote: I am sure the interview office in london would be quite busy so might have to go out of london to get a sooner appointment as I have to travel for work reason but delaying just coz I don't have passport yet.
I am quite lucky that Newport is one of the three closest ones for me [living in England, this side of border :) ]

asu1z
Newly Registered

Help needed in filling of passport application form

Post by asu1z » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:24 pm

Dear forum members

I am in process of filling an application form for British passport. I have some confusion which I would like to clarify with your help:

1. During filling of application form if any mistake is made then how to correct it? For example, if I had to write London and by mistake I have written Lundon in the boxes then how to correct it. I have consulted the guidance notes that came along with the application form but that only tells that you should cross out any mistake you have made but it does not tell how to rewrite the mistake.... I will be thankful if someone can answer.

2. How to correct if I have ticked the wrong check box. How to refill it after crossing the mistake.

3. In section 3, do I need to give details of my overseas passport with all previous visas including ILR.

4. Do I need to send me current passport with ILR with this application.?

I look forward to read your comments. Thanks in advance.

vrks
Newly Registered

Post by vrks » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:56 am

jms_uk wrote:
vrks wrote: I am sure the interview office in london would be quite busy so might have to go out of london to get a sooner appointment as I have to travel for work reason but delaying just coz I don't have passport yet.
I am quite lucky that Newport is one of the three closest ones for me [living in England, this side of border :) ]
I got a reply from them this time saying my application was recvd on 20th by there peterborough office and surprisingly they say in there e mail that it takes about 2 weeks for them to reply if you have used check and send otherwise about 3 weeks if its done by post directly. So today 2 weeks are finished even if I see that they got my application on 20th although I posted it on 16th.

vrks
Newly Registered

Post by vrks » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:50 am

vrks wrote:
jms_uk wrote:
I got a reply from them this time saying my application was recvd on 20th by there peterborough office and surprisingly they say in there e mail that it takes about 2 weeks for them to reply if you have used check and send otherwise about 3 weeks if its done by post directly. So today 2 weeks are finished even if I see that they got my application on 20th although I posted it on 16th.
Hi
I just got a mail from ips saying they have dispatched my interview letter yesterday. Does anyone know as I have read on the forum that people are able to book appointment over the phone even before getting the letter from ips for interview, how to book it as I am delaying a work trip coz I don't have a passport for too long now.

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:15 am

vrks wrote: Hi
I just got a mail from ips saying they have dispatched my interview letter yesterday. Does anyone know as I have read on the forum that people are able to book appointment over the phone even before getting the letter from ips for interview, how to book it as I am delaying a work trip coz I don't have a passport for too long now.
They won't give you that info until one week has passed since sending the letter. And letter has a number you need in order to book the interview.

But, don't worry too much, as letter seems to be sent out by 1st Class post, so you should get it in a day or two.

jayant78
Newly Registered

Travelling overseas whilst waiting for British passport

Post by jayant78 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi Everyone

I have applied for my first British passport after naturalisation with a cover note requesting that my Indian passport be returned as soon as possible as I require that passport for my work related travel. I am relying on the Indian government's 3 month grace period to continue using the Indian passport while I wait for the British passport to be ready.

I called the IPS Adviceline today to check if someone had looked at the cover note and if I can expect my Indian passport back anytime soon. Instead of a response to my query, I was given an abrupt message - "You can't travel overseas if your passport application is outstanding. The front of the passport application says that."

After the call I checked the form that was provided by the post-office for Check & Send service, and saw no mention of restrictions on travelling overseas whilst the passport application is being processed. It talks about not booking any travel that relies on the passport one has applied for, but nothing about overseas travel restrictions.

Is anyone here aware of any restrictions on travelling overseas whilst the British passport application is being processed? I think the IPS Adviceline person was just having a bad day, but would help if anyone here has a view on this.

Rgds,
J

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Travelling overseas whilst waiting for British passport

Post by Jambo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:15 am

jayant78 wrote:Hi Everyone

I have applied for my first British passport after naturalisation with a cover note requesting that my Indian passport be returned as soon as possible as I require that passport for my work related travel. I am relying on the Indian government's 3 month grace period to continue using the Indian passport while I wait for the British passport to be ready.

I called the IPS Adviceline today to check if someone had looked at the cover note and if I can expect my Indian passport back anytime soon. Instead of a response to my query, I was given an abrupt message - "You can't travel overseas if your passport application is outstanding. The front of the passport application says that."

After the call I checked the form that was provided by the post-office for Check & Send service, and saw no mention of restrictions on travelling overseas whilst the passport application is being processed. It talks about not booking any travel that relies on the passport one has applied for, but nothing about overseas travel restrictions.

Is anyone here aware of any restrictions on travelling overseas whilst the British passport application is being processed? I think the IPS Adviceline person was just having a bad day, but would help if anyone here has a view on this.

Rgds,
J
I'm not aware of any restrictions travelling on another nationality passport while waiting for your British passport.

Your current passport should be sent back to you after it was examined. This normally takes about 2 weeks. There is no need for the cover letter as IPS always return the documents as soon as they have finished with them. It takes about another week from the time you receive the documents until you get the British passport (depending on how quickly you can get an interview slot). Unless you need to travel every week, you shouldn't really need to use your Indian passport anymore.

Hopeful200
Newly Registered

Post by Hopeful200 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:37 am

Hi
Apologies if this is a stupid question . I have just had my passport interview on Wednesday and note that most people get their passport within 2 days but am also aware that it could take up to 10 . My question though is do you get an email or notification that your passport has been passed for printing or do you just wait for delivery?

manoj123

Post by manoj123 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:08 am

Hopeful200 wrote:Hi
Apologies if this is a stupid question . I have just had my passport interview on Wednesday and note that most people get their passport within 2 days but am also aware that it could take up to 10 . My question though is do you get an email or notification that your passport has been passed for printing or do you just wait for delivery?
You won't get an email or any kind of notification. You can submit an status enquiry form if it is taking too long.

This is one of the simplest process. Just sit back and don't think about and get surprised by a DXcourier service guy knocking your door. :D

Hopeful200
Newly Registered

Post by Hopeful200 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks Manoj . much appreciated

jayant78
Newly Registered

Re: Travelling overseas whilst waiting for British passport

Post by jayant78 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:05 pm

[quote="Jambo"][quote="jayant78"]Hi Everyone

Rgds,
J[/quote]

I'm not aware of any restrictions travelling on another nationality passport while waiting for your British passport.

Your current passport should be sent back to you after it was examined. This normally takes about 2 weeks. There is no need for the cover letter as IPS always return the documents as soon as they have finished with them. It takes about another week from the time you receive the documents until you get the British passport (depending on how quickly you can get an interview slot). Unless you need to travel every week, you shouldn't really need to use your Indian passport anymore.[/quote]

Thanks Jambo. Your view is consistent with mine. Still wondering what that girl from IPS Adviceline was going on about...

My planned travel is for Russia which requires a visa for both Indian and British passports. My Indian passport already has a visa so getting that passport back on time saves me 7-10 days of additional waiting time.

electricorange
Newly Registered

Naturalised, travelling on foreign passport?

Post by electricorange » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi all... perhaps you can help with a bit of advice. Strictly speaking, I know that now that I'm naturalised my ILR is effectively void and I'm supposed to either apply for a UK Passport or a Right of Abode certificate in my foreign passport before I travel. But I definitely won't have time to do either before I travel.

So what I'd like to know is, as a practical matter, will I encounter any trouble at the border when I come back? Do I need to bring my naturalisation certificate, or will I just be fine with my foreign passport with ILR? Do I need to fill out a landing card etc.?

What's my best move?

Thanks!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Naturalised, travelling on foreign passport?

Post by Jambo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:15 pm

electricorange wrote:Hi all... perhaps you can help with a bit of advice. Strictly speaking, I know that now that I'm naturalised my ILR is effectively void and I'm supposed to either apply for a UK Passport or a Right of Abode certificate in my foreign passport before I travel. But I definitely won't have time to do either before I travel.

So what I'd like to know is, as a practical matter, will I encounter any trouble at the border when I come back? Do I need to bring my naturalisation certificate, or will I just be fine with my foreign passport with ILR? Do I need to fill out a landing card etc.?

What's my best move?

Thanks!
See similar discussion here, here and here.

noble72uk
- thin ice -

Post by noble72uk » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Hopeful200 wrote:Hi
Just relax. For My british passort
Interview was a Monday,
Called the IPS on a Friday 4 days after the Interview. The guy on the phone said Passport was printed same day as Interview and dispatched.
Passport received on a Sunday 10:10 AM.

One of the lads has received it at 8:15 PM. Night Time

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:55 am

kel
- thin ice -

Post by kel » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:13 am

thanks barnaby. that's quite useful

cutmeloose
Newly Registered

Post by cutmeloose » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:35 pm

Do people who are only registering as British citizens face the same wait as those going through the whole naturalisation process? especially if your application is straightforward I wanted to go travelling next May, but saw that it could take 3-6 months and then I'd have to do the ceremony stuff and apply for a passport. Seems like it takes the best part of a year. Specifically took a gap year to sort all this out. I think I'm basically asking is registering for British citizenship essentially the same as British naturalisation?