ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

non-EU spouse of EU member in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Platinum

non-EU spouse of EU member in Ireland

Post by Platinum » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:36 pm

Trawling through this forum gave me lots of info on the EU1 form and applying for residency here, so I thought I'd give back and let you guys know what the lady on the phone at the justice department just told me. (I actually got through! I was shocked.) For info, I'm a US citizen (so non-visa required) married to a British citizen. I didn't need or get a "D" visa. My passport stamp at Dublin airport gives me a month to stay here. So here's the latest:

1. They are now advising people to send in copies of all the relevant documents: passports, marriage certificates, etc. As long as the copies are very clear and legible, they don't need the originals.

2. I came here two years ago on a working visa, so I have a PPS number, but I can't work while the EU1 is being processed. Voluntary work is okay, though, so I may not go absolutely crazy.

3. There's no point going to the Gardai immigration office in Burgh Quay- they can't give me a GNIB card, only a "stamp 3," whatever that is. However, since I'm non-visa required and I plan to send in a copy of my passport, I can still travel freely in and out of Ireland while the EU1 form is being processed.

4. It is basically taking six months for processing. She said "up to six months" and I asked her honestly how long were they taking, and she said, "Yeah, it'll be six months."

5. I don't need any proof of medical insurance. She said something about that being for "unmarried partners". I don't know the details of this; I didn't ask.

6. In addition to copies of both partners' passports, they also want: marriage certificate (or copy); 2 passport photos of each partner; evidence of employment for EU partner; and covering letter stating some history of the relationship, where you're lived, etc.

Okay, I think that's all I've learned today. I'll send in the EU1 form as soon as possible, then, and wait, I guess.

cartaverde

Post by cartaverde » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:11 pm

Welcome!

You have to go thru this same BS even when you have worked before in Ireland???!!! :shock:
This country starts to seriously annoy me .. as soon as we'll get our documents back (should be in a few months as there is no way anything in this country would take less time than required) I think we'll start to look on the ways to get the green card and get out of here. :oops:

Good luck, and patience! Six months is a very long time when both have to live in one salary... my other half is going slowly insane for not being able to do anything here while I'm getting slowly insane for too for work stress etc meanwhile.

Pablo
Newly Registered

non-EU spose of EU member

Post by Pablo » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:07 pm

Hi Guys,

Quick one, like u gays said all papers were sent in copy to immigration office, and now u guys need to wait up to 6 months. But like you didn't send the passaport to them how come they will give u the visa stamp? Do u know how this works ?

I am italian I have been leving here with my brazilian wife for 3 years now, I need to go for the 4th visa and GNIB card to my wife. At moment she has a GNIB card staped EU Family member but will expires soon, what I need to do now to renew it? Like I can see everything changed? any ideas?

Thanks for the info

JAJ
Australia

Re: non-EU spose of EU member

Post by JAJ » Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:32 am

Pablo wrote:I am italian I have been leving here with my brazilian wife for 3 years now, I need to go for the 4th visa and GNIB card to my wife. At moment she has a GNIB card staped EU Family member but will expires soon, what I need to do now to renew it? Like I can see everything changed? any ideas?
No need to ask the same question on two different threads:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=12716

Pablo
Newly Registered

Post by Pablo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:07 am

Hi Guys,

Quick one, like u gays said all papers were sent in copy to immigration office, and now u guys need to wait up to 6 months. But like you didn't send the passaport to them how come they will give u the visa stamp? Do u know how this works ?

Platinum

visa stamp

Post by Platinum » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:20 pm

Hi Pablo. Basically, I will have no visa stamp except for the one-month one already in my passport from Dublin airport.

Since I'm from a non-visa required country, when I leave and re-enter Dublin, I'll just either tell them I'm visiting, and get a normal tourist visa, or I'll tell them I have an EU1 application in progress. I will have no proof of this- they don't send any confirmation of receipt, so I don't know how Dublin airport immigration will know if I'm telling the truth.

I assume that my passport info will be marked in the Irish system, and it'll come up when they scan my passport. This may be wishful thinking, but I asked the woman at the justic department specifically if I need to go to Burgh Quay and she said I didn't. So I'm not going to waste a day in the queue there.

cartaverde

Post by cartaverde » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:36 pm

actually .. we had to send in the passport of my spouse.
that is 6 months without being able to travel.. can't get out of this country.
we did ask for paperwork to be sent back 3 months ago, actually asked for it twice but have got nothing.
"great" since he would have had some job interviews that would have needed going to London and Paris .. can't get to a job interview even as they are sitting on the passport for 6 months. just because they can. :cry: