ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

work permit expiration

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Tallj1
Newly Registered

work permit expiration

Post by Tallj1 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:29 am

I am an American currently living and working in Germany. From March 23rd to June 23rd I was only visiting on my tourist visa, then secured a German work permit. My work permit expires on September 30th 2012. This is a total of 6 months. I would like to travel to other countries withing the Shengen zone. Am I able to do this or do I need to leave the Europe altogether?

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:09 pm

There was a US citizen with a similar story a number of months back (sorry can't find it just now). I don't have a definitive answer for you, I'm afraid. Perhaps someone else will have.

One thing is sure. There are countries in Europe that are not in the Schengen zone that do not require US citizens to have a visa, eg UK, Ireland, etc (there are many more). You don't need to leave Europe.

Do you have longer term travel plans?

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:58 pm

Nobody is too concerned about Americans
However after a work permit your visiting permit kicks in.
The time your work permit was valid does not go toward the time of your visiting permit.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:52 pm

republique wrote:Nobody is too concerned about Americans
The time your work permit was valid does not go toward the time of your visiting permit.
Do you have any references for this? It is not that I don't believe you, it's just that this has come up before and I'm curious.

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:54 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:
republique wrote:Nobody is too concerned about Americans
Do you have any references for this? It is not that I don't believe you, it's just that this has come up before and I'm curious.
I find you are a very good critic but not very knowledgeable and thus constantly offering little substance. I have researched it and if you take the time to do the same you'd come to the same conclusion. Otherwise, don't take my advice is always an option.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:36 am

republique wrote:Nobody is too concerned about Americans.
This statement is simply not true. US citizens may not be visa nationals, but they are third country nationals just like others.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:10 am

republique wrote:and thus constantly offering little substance
...please feel free to add substance where appropriate. Thanks.