ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can you work while waiting for Entrepreneur Visa Approval?

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny

makingastart
Newly Registered

Can you work while waiting for Entrepreneur Visa Approval?

Post by makingastart » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:32 pm

I submitted my Entrepreneur Application last month and now waiting for approval. My question is, am I allowed to be self-employed or work for a company while waiting for their decision? I read it sometimes takes month before I will get the decision so I would want to make use of my time wisely while waiting.

I was previously on a student visa in which I have successfully completed my degree. Having now completed my degree, am I still restricted to 20hours of part time work each week or am I able to be self-employed and work full time until they reach a decision about my application?

rajm2012

Re: Can you work while waiting for Entrepreneur Visa Approva

Post by rajm2012 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:49 pm

makingastart wrote:I submitted my Entrepreneur Application last month and now waiting for approval. My question is, am I allowed to be self-employed or work for a company while waiting for their decision? I read it sometimes takes month before I will get the decision so I would want to make use of my time wisely while waiting.

I was previously on a student visa in which I have successfully completed my degree. Having now completed my degree, am I still restricted to 20hours of part time work each week or am I able to be self-employed and work full time until they reach a decision about my application?
IF you are on PSW, you are free to work full time or part time or be self-employed TILL the home office gives you Entrepreneur visa. You will have to stop working once you've got Entrepreneur visa but until then, you are fine.

IF you are on student visa and have completed your studies, you can work part time or full time. You are not restricted to 20 hours per week. But I don't think you can be self-employed.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:51 pm

..... am I still restricted to 20hours of part time work each week or am I able to be self-employed and work full time until they reach a decision about my application?
You are restricted to the terms of your current visa. You cannot just assume the new visa will be granted, and work more.
John

rajm2012

Post by rajm2012 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:32 pm

John wrote:
..... am I still restricted to 20hours of part time work each week or am I able to be self-employed and work full time until they reach a decision about my application?
You are restricted to the terms of your current visa. You cannot just assume the new visa will be granted, and work more.
If he's on student visa, he is not restricted to 20 hours of part time work per week IF he has completed his studies. This restriction only applies while he is studying. He is legally allowed to work full time during christmas holidays, easter holidays, summer holidays, etc.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:55 pm

rajm2012, very true. Thanks for pointing that out.
John

makingastart
Newly Registered

Post by makingastart » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Thanks rajm2012. I was hoping I can get a start with registering the business name and start consulting some clients while I wait for the Entrepreneur application to go through. I was hoping to get started with the business now since there might be a few months of idle time while waiting for the visa to go through. Obviously, if my visa don't get approved, I will stop the business but its unlikely that would happen since I have spent lots of time preparing the application and gathering all the supporting documents.

Anyone know self employment is allowed while waiting for the application to be approved?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:15 am

makingastart, you are bound by the terms of your Tier 4 visa, and now that you have finished studying you have the right to work an unlimited number of hours.

But Tier 4 visa holders cannot be self-employed.
John

makingastart
Newly Registered

Post by makingastart » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:56 am

Thanks!

rajm2012

Post by rajm2012 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:05 pm

makingastart wrote:
Anyone know self employment is allowed while waiting for the application to be approved?
IF you are on student visa, then NO, you aren't allowed.

IF you are on PSW, yes, you are allowed.