ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OLD FLR(M) waiting times Thread

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Administrator

shark5
Newly Registered

Still waiting

Post by shark5 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:03 am

Here is my timeline

Date applied/docs sent: 16/02/2012
Date received ack. letter: 21/02/2012
Date biometrics booking letter arrived: 21/03/2012
Date biometrics appointment: 21/03/2012
Date passport/docs received from HO: Waiting
Biometrics card received: Waiting
Visa Type :FLR(M) Spouse
Visa From: Fiancee Visa

I had called the contact centre to ask why thier website states that processing times are 6months for 100% of applications and I still haven't had any news. The agent said that they haven't provided processing times for within UK applications on the website and when I lead to him to the "guide to visa processing times" page on the website he said that this is for international applications.

I wrote a complaint telling them what he said and that what the website states/implies is different and that this is misleading and inaccurate and that applicants should be made aware of legitimate and upto date timescales. Obviously haven't heard anything and don't expect much from them anyway.. Especially because at the end of the day their lives are in order they can work, travel etc when they please and don't care about us wasting precious time in our lives.

The frustration continues....

Echo721
Newly Registered

Post by Echo721 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:25 pm

Echo721 wrote:Hello everyone,

I posted my application on 23/2/2012 and hit the 6-month mark on 22/8/2012. So I called 0870 606 7766 in the morning of 22/8/2012. I got through via ‘return of documents’ option after waiting for 14 minutes which was shorter than expected. The lady on the phone told me to call again on the next day because I was one day early to check my application status and she wouldn’t be able to see the information in her system yet. I asked if I could request my boyfriend’s driving license back. She typed my reference number into the system and said that in their system my application date was actually 22/2/2012 hence to save me calling back again, she could tell me that my application was still being processed. So I guess they might have registered the date that I signed on the form in their system. She submitted my request of return of document in their system and said that it would be dealt with by another team based on how urgent my reason was. It would take 20 working days to the request to be processed. And I could only query this once the 20-day period had passed.

It sounded very busy in the background. She said they did answer calls all the time, but because of the large volume of calls, unfortunately some callers ended up waiting for a long time. She was quite friendly and helpful, but did sound a bit stressed as well and it was only 10 o’clock in the morning.

I haven’t heard anything from them yet since the phone call. So I guess I’ll just have to wait. Fingers crossed.
Dear all,

I don’t know if the information would help anyone or not but thought to give you an ‘update’ on my application - no good news from me either.

I called the enquiry line again last Thursday, 6/9/2012. This time it took 16 minutes to get through. The lady on the phone said that my application was being processed. I asked what I could do to speed up the process. She said that I would have to show them that there was a real emergency. I could fax my application reference number to them, and tell them what the emergency was. I asked if my application would be withdrawn if I request my passport back. She said if I only wanted my passport to show my identity then no, the application would not be withdrawn. However if I wanted my passport so that I could travel abroad, then yes, the application would be withdrawn.

I have got my boyfriend’s driving license back though. I requested it on 22/8/2012 and received it by recorded delivery on 7/9/2012.

So, carry on waiting...

Flrm agony
Newly Registered

28 days for the Biometrics letter

Post by Flrm agony » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Hello,

I just got off the phone with the 087 number and was informed that as an applicant you have the right to ask them to request your Biometrics letter if you have been waiting for more than 28 days....

Bearing in mind that I called several times after the 28 days have passed and none of the people I spoke to said that they could send out a request form. And after that request has been sent, it should take from 7-10 days to receive the letter.

I was lucky this time that a nice guy answered and helped me. Of course I asked him why haven't I been told that before and he said " I am sorry but I don't know why, I know that you have Been waiting for more than 28 days and I can send the request"

My timeline
Ack letter: 16/7/2012
And nothing else since then.

UnKindBAst
Newly Registered

Trauma

Post by UnKindBAst » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:26 pm

New to the forum,
Applied 19 march
Acknowledgement letter 27 March
Biometric 2 April
Speedy service and then things went downhill, still waiting for my documents.
Life's become a hell, could not work for a month due to Olympics and i not having my passport.
Had recently requested my sponsors passport back and the lazy caseworker, perhaps blind and dumb, send a wrong passport.
no wonder our applications getting delayed, i only hope all my valuable documents still exist.

waiting person
Newly Registered

Re: still waiting

Post by waiting person » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi DBI31,

I should, that`s why I was asked for additional documents to prove that I`ve been living here for more than 5 years.
I don`t need visa for myself but for my husband. That`s why FLRm form.
Thanks for answer
Last edited by waiting person on Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

tired_of_waiting
Newly Registered

Re: Trauma

Post by tired_of_waiting » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:39 pm

UnKindBAst wrote:New to the forum,
Applied 19 march
Acknowledgement letter 27 March
Biometric 2 April
Speedy service and then things went downhill, still waiting for my documents.
Life's become a hell, could not work for a month due to Olympics and i not having my passport.
Had recently requested my sponsors passport back and the lazy caseworker, perhaps blind and dumb, send a wrong passport.
no wonder our applications getting delayed, i only hope all my valuable documents still exist.

Whos passport did dey sent to u?? You can report this in media.. This is news n shows how incompetent n irresponsible dey r!!

kshah
Newly Registered

Re: waiting and waiting and waiting!

Post by kshah » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:27 am

essexb wrote:
kshah wrote:

I am thinking to ask for return of my wife's passport , without withdrawing my wife's application. Will they allow me to do that ? Atleast by doing this, she could atleast register with employment agencies ? Do you have any idea about this ?
Yes this is possible, we did it, although the UKBA do not make it clear that you can do this. My wife had a job offer and needed her passport and visa back, so we called them up and they said they could return the documents without withdrawing the application. Turns out that they this sped up the whole process and instead of just returning the documents, they returned them all and issued her visa! It's definitely worth a try, just make sure that the person you speak to the on the phone is clear you just want the non sponsor's passport/visa back for a job interview or whatever and that you do not wish to withdraw the application. Might be worth taking their name too incase something goes wrong.
Thanks Essexb

Can I ask, after how many weeks of submitting your application, did you ask for wife's passport back, were you closer to six months deadline and what reason did you give to them ?

Did they readily agree to return your wife's passport or you have to convince them and did they gave you any reference ?

Regards

ak145m
BANNED

Varying application

Post by ak145m » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:43 am

Hi Guys

Lots of people here who have been waiting for long don't seem to know but if you become subsequently eligible for settlement or want to apply for other visa, yes you cannot submit another application but you can VARY your application which is similar to applying new one, you will also save money cos you will get the money back for previous application which is still pending, you only pay fees minus previous fees paid. check out the 3c and 3c immigration policies.
check out 3.2 Applications lodged during leave under sections 3C and 3D
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

mrsclc78

Post by mrsclc78 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:03 am

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/p ... ing-311921

I love how they assume I'm a dude.

They give the most vague answers possible, and I've given up trying to understand how they operate. It sounds like they put applications in order of application date ONCE biometrics are done, which makes sense. What I still don't understand is why the straightforward applications are stuck behind the complex ones, but I don't really want to write them another question and wait another 2 months for a reply. Why isn't there one team for straightforward apps, cranking those out, and another for the ones that require additional paperwork, checks, etc.? But then, how long is a piece of string? :roll:

I'm more interested in the answers to this one (http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/p ... s_for_flrm) now, because the author brings up so many good points.

Unsurprising how they didn't even apologise to me for being well beyond the legal date by which they were required to reply. If they can't answer these questions in time, that says a lot for their lack of respect for the actual applications.

Dsin

Post by Dsin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:27 pm

mrsclc78 wrote:http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/p ... ing-311921

They give the most vague answers possible, and I've given up trying to understand how they operate. It sounds like they put applications in order of application date ONCE biometrics are done, which makes sense. What I still don't understand is why the straightforward applications are stuck behind the complex ones, but I don't really want to write them another question and wait another 2 months for a reply. Why isn't there one team for straightforward apps, cranking those out, and another for the ones that require additional paperwork, checks, etc.? But then, how long is a piece of string? :roll:

I'm more interested in the answers to this one (http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/p ... s_for_flrm) now, because the author brings up so many good points.

Unsurprising how they didn't even apologise to me for being well beyond the legal date by which they were required to reply. If they can't answer these questions in time, that says a lot for their lack of respect for the actual applications.
Wow, I don't even know what to say after reading those two freedom of information requests. Our lives are completely on hold - my husband can't work, study or even volunteer. We can't start a family or move out of my mum's as we can't afford it on one salary. We were keeping ourselves upbeat with the thought that at least we were more than three months through the processing time. If the processing time starts once biometrics are submitted, after waiting nine weeks for that letter, we are actually only a month into our wait.

Wow, that's all I can say (accompanied by a rather large sigh....)

mrsclc78

Post by mrsclc78 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Dsin wrote:

Wow, I don't even know what to say after reading those two freedom of information requests. Our lives are completely on hold - my husband can't work, study or even volunteer. We can't start a family or move out of my mum's as we can't afford it on one salary. We were keeping ourselves upbeat with the thought that at least we were more than three months through the processing time. If the processing time starts once biometrics are submitted, after waiting nine weeks for that letter, we are actually only a month into our wait.

I'm still not sure if they count the time from the application day as the entire processing time or not. The wording is all so unclear and nothing, not even their own website, seems to be be consistent. Every time I've called I've gotten a different story. Some people out there seem to be getting theirs within a few months, and others, 9+ months with no rhyme or reason. I think it's basically a lottery, and you *could* get it any time. Or it could be awhile. :( I'm in a similar position, and now with three family members' struggling health-wise back home, I'm more frustrated than ever.

Dsin

Post by Dsin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:22 pm

mrsclc78 wrote:
Dsin wrote:

I'm still not sure if they count the time from the application day as the entire processing time or not. The wording is all so unclear and nothing, not even their own website, seems to be be consistent. Every time I've called I've gotten a different story. Some people out there seem to be getting theirs within a few months, and others, 9+ months with no rhyme or reason. I think it's basically a lottery, and you *could* get it any time. Or it could be awhile. :( I'm in a similar position, and now with three family members' struggling health-wise back home, I'm more frustrated than ever.
It's very hard to be waiting like this when there is no clear indication of how long the wait may be and the answers from the UKBA constantly contradict the previous information given. If your family members' health deteriorates further, can you contact them under the compassionate emergency thing and ask them to hurry up?

I thought the authorities in my husband's country were incompentent jobs-worths....little did I know...... Off to buy a lottery ticket tomorrow - probably more chance of winning that than getting hubby's visa back anytime soon :wink:

TnT-FreaK
Newly Registered

Withdraw and re-apply

Post by TnT-FreaK » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:32 pm

Interesting recent updates. What this confirms is that it's a matter of luck, with the odds very much stacked against the majority of applicants. While we applied over 2 months now, it has hardly been 2 weeks since we submitted biometrics. And at this rate there could be a lot more waiting...

So my question to you all is, is it worth just fighting to get a one-day appointment and withdrawing the application and resubmitting? I know it's a waste of money but there seems to be little hope otherwise.

Is it possible for UKBA to return the applicant's passport back for travel purposes without withdrawing the application? Maybe that could be a suggestion to our MPs, so that when UKBA comes to our application they can request our passports back. This will avoid a lot of pain to both the applicant and UKBA with a million applicants chasing them every day.

badger111

Re: Withdraw and re-apply

Post by badger111 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:16 pm

TnT-FreaK wrote:

Is it possible for UKBA to return the applicant's passport back for travel purposes without withdrawing the application? Maybe that could be a suggestion to our MPs, so that when UKBA comes to our application they can request our passports back. This will avoid a lot of pain to both the applicant and UKBA with a million applicants chasing them every day.
No way. You BRP is a proof of your immigration status. If you don't have it you can't prove what is going on with you, and they would never let you back in the country. It would just be against the law.
For example, they are considering someone's application, that person goes to it's domestic country, commits a crime, comes back to the UK, and gets BRP. That is just one of the examples of why that would never be possible.

I have been waiting 27 weeks...

There is one solution for you though. I presume you still have fiancee visa valid? Well if you do, and if you can afford it, withdraw your application, and re-apply again using premium service. I would do the same, but my fiancee visa has expired so I won't do that. Trust me, I know it seems expensive, but in the end it will be much cheaper the waiting for over 6 months.

TnT-FreaK
Newly Registered

Post by TnT-FreaK » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:54 am

badger111 wrote:
TnT-FreaK wrote:

No way. You BRP is a proof of your immigration status. If you don't have it you can't prove what is going on with you, and they would never let you back in the country. It would just be against the law.
For example, they are considering someone's application, that person goes to it's domestic country, commits a crime, comes back to the UK, and gets BRP. That is just one of the examples of why that would never be possible.

There is one solution for you though. I presume you still have fiancee visa valid? Well if you do, and if you can afford it, withdraw your application, and re-apply again using premium service. I would do the same, but my fiancee visa has expired so I won't do that. Trust me, I know it seems expensive, but in the end it will be much cheaper the waiting for over 6 months.
Thanks for confirming. So I'll probably wait for 2 months post biometrics and take a decision then. They are lots of negatives for withdrawing an application, besides the money, the new rules would apply which means instead of 2 years for an ILR it will take 5 years.

Decisions, decisions ... There is more risk to manage in dealing with UKBA than in investing in the stock market. Only 10 weeks wait so far.

badger111

Post by badger111 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:03 am

TnT-FreaK wrote:
badger111 wrote:
TnT-FreaK wrote:

Thanks for confirming. So I'll probably wait for 2 months post biometrics and take a decision then. They are lots of negatives for withdrawing an application, besides the money, the new rules would apply which means instead of 2 years for an ILR it will take 5 years.

Decisions, decisions ... There is more risk to manage in dealing with UKBA than in investing in the stock market. Only 10 weeks wait so far.
When was your visa issued? If you got your fiancee visa before 9 July than you will still be under old rules. I know that for a fact, because my friend's partner who got here from Taiwan got his fiancee visa in June, applied for enter to leave here after 9 July, but was still under old rules. It all depends on when your fiancee visa was issued.
But yes, dealing with UKBA is just horrible!

TnT-FreaK
Newly Registered

Post by TnT-FreaK » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:27 am

I am transferring from PSW to marriage visa, so no fiancée visa

Roadmaster
Newly Registered

Post by Roadmaster » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:24 am

TnT-FreaK wrote:
badger111 wrote:
TnT-FreaK wrote:

TnT-FreaK my timeline is similar to yours and I have not even received a biometrics letter. I phoned the 087 number yesterday and got nowhere. I am on an ICT Tier 2 at the moment and she attempted to look something up on the system using that information but really got nowhere. She said you have to just wait.....

I am contemplating asking for my spouse's passport back to see if that will kick start my biometrics letter??

The long wait continues...it's been 10 weeks today...

Still.Waiting

Post by Still.Waiting » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:42 am

Its been 5 months now and nothing from UKBA. Can anyone tell me when is the right time to contact your MP?

davidalowrie
Newly Registered

Post by davidalowrie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:47 am

Still.Waiting wrote:Its been 5 months now and nothing from UKBA. Can anyone tell me when is the right time to contact your MP?
I contacted my MP yesterday. My timeline is 6 months 16 days today, so anything over 6 months wait I would suggest doing the same.

Still.Waiting

Post by Still.Waiting » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:51 am

davidalowrie wrote:
Still.Waiting wrote:Its been 5 months now and nothing from UKBA. Can anyone tell me when is the right time to contact your MP?
I contacted my MP yesterday. My timeline is 6 months 16 days today, so anything over 6 months wait I would suggest doing the same.
hi davidalowrie, thanks for the reply. By the way have you heard anything from your MP yet?

davidalowrie
Newly Registered

Post by davidalowrie » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:00 am

Still.Waiting wrote:
davidalowrie wrote:
hi davidalowrie, thanks for the reply. By the way have you heard anything from your MP yet?
I got a reply that stated that the MP was sorry to hear I had been waiting so long and that they had contacted the UKBA and I would hopefully get a reply in the next couple of days. So I'm still waiting.

essexb
Newly Registered

Post by essexb » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:33 pm

kshah wrote:

Thanks Essexb

Can I ask, after how many weeks of submitting your application, did you ask for wife's passport back, were you closer to six months deadline and what reason did you give to them ?

Did they readily agree to return your wife's passport or you have to convince them and did they gave you any reference ?

Regards

We requested the passport around 2 months after submitting the application and the UKBA were actually the ones who mentioned that we could request the non-sponsors documents back (as long as they were not for travel), so they didn't need convincing at all. It's definitely something that they can do. They didn't give a reference and we stupidly didn't take anyone's name, so there was a week or 2 where we were very anxious, but happy to say it all worked out. Just see the timeline below.

My time line is :
docs sent : 28th June
ack letter : dated 7th july
Requested docs back: 23rd Aug
Bio letter : 24th Aug
Docs returned : 31st Aug
BRP arrived: 4th Sept

mrsclc78

Post by mrsclc78 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:01 pm

essexb wrote: We requested the passport around 2 months after submitting the application and the UKBA were actually the ones who mentioned that we could request the non-sponsors documents back (as long as they were not for travel), so they didn't need convincing at all. It's definitely something that they can do. They didn't give a reference and we stupidly didn't take anyone's name, so there was a week or 2 where we were very anxious, but happy to say it all worked out. Just see the timeline below.

My time line is :
docs sent : 28th June
ack letter : dated 7th july
Requested docs back: 23rd Aug
Bio letter : 24th Aug
Docs returned : 31st Aug
BRP arrived: 4th Sept
essexb, thanks for continuing to share your information after you've received everything back successfully!

Did you have to go into detail about your wife's job offer(s) on the phone with the UKBA, or send them proof of any kind? I just want to be prepared for if/when I try this route. Am going to interviews in a few weeks and want to be able to call them up immediately if I do get an offer.

Thanks!

AngieLynn09
Newly Registered

Post by AngieLynn09 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:54 pm

Hey everyone,
6 months and 17 days and still waiting! I've been in contact with our MP caseworker. Usually she gets back to us in a day or two with the usual "not been processeed" reply from the UKBA. This time, she says she is waiting for a response from the UKBA and it's been over a week. Hoping this means it'll be more information than usual. We are also asking for compassionate expedition because of my grandmother's health and the MP has sent the request to the UKBA and I have sent a hard copy directly to Sheffield.
I also sent a letter to Sheffield and an email to the complaints department requesting the update that I'm entitled to after 6 months because I don't accept "not processed" as an update. I actually received an email from them two days ago stating that they are looking into my complaint and I should hear from them in 20 working days. If I here anything useful, I'll be sure to pass it on to you all.
Good luck everyone!