ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IPS didn't accept GP's counter signtures

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Priya_Rai

IPS didn't accept GP's counter signtures

Post by Priya_Rai » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:16 pm

I went to IPS London today but they refused to accept the form saying that it was their policy to not accept forms that were countersigned by the Doctor wherein he has stated that he knows the applicant as a patient. The person at the counter did not by any argument/ didn't accept what was clearly mentioned in the guidelines. The application was for my daughter's first passport. They asked me to book another appointment. Extremely frustrated!!

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Re: IPS didn't accept GP's counter signtures

Post by Lucapooka » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Priya_Rai wrote: he knows the applicant as a patient.
GP's were de-listed from the list of referees for this very reason some time ago. They interact with patients on a mandatory, professional, and often brief basis. Now if the doctor were to state that he knows the individual on a personal, rather than professional level, that might be different.

Priya_Rai

Post by Priya_Rai » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:11 pm

Lucapooka wrote:
Priya_Rai wrote: he knows the applicant as a patient.
GP's were de-listed from the list of referees for this very reason some time ago. They interact with patients on a mandatory, professional, and often brief basis. Now if the doctor were to state that he knows the individual on a personal, rather than professional level, that might be different.
But nowhere in the guidelines do they say that. The list you are talking about has Nurses listed in it - does that mean they can sign as knowing the applicant as patients but GPs can't? I don't see any logic there. Can you please provide a link supporting your assertion?

noble72uk
- thin ice -

Post by noble72uk » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:09 pm

Priya_Rai wrote:I went to IPS London today but they refused to accept the form saying that it was their policy to not accept forms that were countersigned by the Doctor wherein he has stated that he knows the applicant as a patient. The person at the counter did not by any argument/ didn't accept what was clearly mentioned in the guidelines. The application was for my daughter's first passport. They asked me to book another appointment. Extremely frustrated!!
Sorry to hear that try one of those:

Who you can ask to be your countersignatory
Your countersignatory should:
• have known you for at least two years
• live in the UK
Your countersignatory should not:
• be related to you by birth or marriage
• be in a personal relationship with you
• live at the same address as you
• work for the Identity and Passport Service
The occupation of your countersignatory will not determine whether or not your application will be successful. The issue of a passport relies on an applicant satisfying a number of criteria. Therefore, the list of occupations below is purely for guidance and not an exhaustive list of occupations. However, you should try to get a countersignatory who is a person of good standing in your local community. If you are not sure who to ask, call the IPS Passport Adviceline on 0300 222 0000.
• accountant
• airline pilot
• articled clerk of a limited company
• assurance agent of recognised company
• bank/building society official
• barrister
• chairman/director of limited company
• chiropodist
• commissioner of oaths
• councillor (local or county)
• civil servant (permanent), but not someone who works for IPS
• dentist
• director/manager of a VAT-registered charity
• director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
• engineer (with professional qualifications)
• financial services intermediary (eg a stockbroker or insurance broker)
• fire service official
• funeral director
• insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
• journalist
• Justice of the Peace
• legal secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
• licensee of public house
• local government officer
• manager/personnel officer (of a limited company)
• member, associate or fellow of a professional body
• Member of Parliament
• Merchant Navy officer
• minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)
• nurse (RGN and RMN)
• officer of the armed services (active or retired)
• optician
• paralegal (certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals)
• person with honours (an OBE or MBE, for example)
• pharmacist
• photographer (professional)
• police officer
• Post Office official
• president/secretary of a recognised organisation
• Salvation Army officer
• social worker
• solicitor
• surveyor
• teacher, lecturer
• trade union officer
• travel agent (qualified)
• valuer or auctioneer (fellows and associate members of the incorporated society)
• Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

ftse100

GP countersigned naturalisation application

Post by ftse100 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:38 am

Dear Senior Members

I am a bit confused because my GP has countersigned my naturalisation application and he has mentioned GP in the box (Say how do you know the applicant). I have read somewhere that applications have been refused on the basis of the reason of GP not being on the list of UKBA counter-signatory referees.

Any thoughts on that?

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: GP countersigned naturalisation application

Post by Jambo » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:54 am

ftse100 wrote:Dear Senior Members

I am a bit confused because my GP has countersigned my naturalisation application and he has mentioned GP in the box (Say how do you know the applicant). I have read somewhere that applications have been refused on the basis of the reason of GP not being on the list of UKBA counter-signatory referees.

Any thoughts on that?
GP are fine to act as referees for naturalisation applications.

ftse100

Post by ftse100 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:53 pm

Thank you very much Jambo for your kind response. I highly appreciate your thoughts. So, I can understand from this that IPS doesn't accept GP counter-signs if it's mentioned GP in the box (Say how you know the applicant).