ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

On ILR, Surname addition & BRP (RC)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lovnishs

On ILR, Surname addition & BRP (RC)

Post by lovnishs » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:55 am

Hello,

I am on ILR with BRP card that has my name mentioned without surname due to the reason my Indian passport doesnt have surname on it.

However, my UK Driving license, bank statement all have my Full name (inc surname) on them.

Now I was thinking, Do I need to add my surname on my Indian passport if I want my full name to be mentioned on my british passport later on?

Cant I just add my surname added on my Indian passport & later on apply for british passport. I meant to ask, Is it necessary to change the personal details on BRP as well ?? Or I could just apply for british passport and mention the name as mentioned on my Indian passport (with added surname)

please advise.

Thanks in advance

manoj123

Post by manoj123 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:36 pm

I am not an expert or have done this process before...but my two cents below.

1. You can change the details on Indian passport. Be prepared to provide all the required documents by HCI. They might require your birth certificate etc.

2. It is better to change BRP card before applying to British Passport as they can clearly see your name being different. On a similar note, you are obliged to notify UKBA if your name has changed

lovnishs

Post by lovnishs » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:32 pm

thanks Manoj,

And how about if I add my surname after applying british passport & OCI ?

I understand you may not have done this but any advise is highly appreciated.

Thanks

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Possible option:
1. Change your name (deed poll) before applying for naturalisation.
2. When applying for naturalisation, include copy of deed poll.
3. When applying for surrender of Indian passport include copy of deed poll (to prove that Indian passport without surname is indeed yours).

I believe getting a name change done in Indian passport is more complex than a deed poll for UK matters (e.g. - for naturalisation). That said, I am not sure if non UK citizens can get a deed poll done - so do check.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

thikpal

Post by thikpal » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:51 am

Just to add to this point

1. My wife used deed poll to change her name (that time she had Indian passport with ILR).
2. As Sushdmehta mentioned we used the deed poll and applied for her naturalisation, now she has British passport with new name.
3. While surrendering the Indian passport we sent the copy of Deed poll.
4. Applied for OCI and waiting for the result.

We were advised (by our friend, not sure whether its a requirement from HCI) to get the deed poll notarized.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:39 am

sushdmehta wrote:That said, I am not sure if non UK citizens can get a deed poll done - so do check.
thikpal wrote:My wife used deed poll to change her name (that time she had Indian passport with ILR).
Thanks for confirming this!

I believe one can get multiple copies of deed poll (in original) by paying extra. Might be cheaper than getting it notarized.

lovnishs

Post by lovnishs » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:53 am

Many thanks Sushd :-)

Deed poll at the time of naturalisation looks a better option.

Just one more question.

Indian passports of my wife & son had my name mentioned on their last page (without surname). I hope when I would have deed poll, their british passports will also include my full name (including surname). And same thing while surrendering all the passports & later on applying for OCIs.

Many thanks indeed :-)

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:57 am

You need a deed poll for every person intending to change his/her name.

Changing your name doesn't necessarily mean that your family members' names will automatically get changed.

lovnishs

Post by lovnishs » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:18 am

Sush,

I dont want to change the name of my wife & son. So I assume I dont need deed poll for them

If you know about the last page fields on indian passport, it has father's name & husband's name field on child's & spouse's passport. So in order to change that field I assume I wont need the deed poll for themselves. As they are not changing their name they already got correct surname on their passports. Its just my name thats not mentioned correctly.

Hope it clarifies.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:24 pm

No deed poll for family members in such case.

A "misc. service application" at HCI perhaps, or perhaps such change (last page - father / husband name) not required / necessary? Check with HCI.