ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EASY JET AND RYANAIR

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

DAMMYDAMMY

EASY JET AND RYANAIR

Post by DAMMYDAMMY » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi,
pls,gurus and junior member of this forum,i sincerely appreciate all your efforts on this forum during and after my eea2 application,now that i have recieved it,i ll like to know if i ll need a schengen visa to lithuania if am travelling with my wife n son,we ll like to travel together to lithuania but just been scared may be the airline wont let me board,we are married with a marriage certificate in uk and in lithuania language,both certificate are available with us,pls your opinions ll be appreciate.[/i][/b]

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:16 pm

mick5

Post by mick5 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:35 pm

No need to worry i traveled with Ryne air and easy jet no problem at all just to be on a safe side keep your marriage certificate country ur traveling they might ask but not airline no problem at all

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:26 pm

mick5 wrote:No need to worry i traveled with Ryne air and easy jet no problem at all just to be on a safe side keep your marriage certificate country ur traveling they might ask but not airline no problem at all
It was good of you to post your experience (I know you've had trouble, but never with the airlines).

DAMMYDAMMY

Post by DAMMYDAMMY » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:35 am

THANKS SO MUCH 4 UR QUICK REPLY,I VALUE U ALL

sum1
- thin ice -

Post by sum1 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:00 am

The Lithuanian embassy in London confirms (Lithuania allows that only from July this year!!!) visa free travel under the conditions you meet. The Timatic database from the IATA also clarifies this point. It is just not clear what reference database/book those budget airlines use.

Fabby
Newly Registered

Post by Fabby » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:01 pm

Hello DAMMYDAMMY, you dont need to worry about Ryne air and easy jet. I went to Poland on friday with my wife thru easy jet, we had no problem with them. They were fanstatic. The only problem we encountered was in Krakow with the immigration officer who wanted to stamp on my RC but I refused so she just let me in. But, to be on a safe side keep your marriage certificate with you when you are travelling as those immigration officer will definetely want to have a look at it. Enjoy your Holliday.

DAMMYDAMMY

Post by DAMMYDAMMY » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:45 pm

FABY and all well wishers,thanks so much for your replies,i appreciate you all,pls does germany,belgium and holland operate a visa free also if am travelling with my eea wife? also is swistzerland part of eea country and do u know if they also operate visa free if am with my eea wife.thanks

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:10 am

DAMMYDAMMY wrote:FABY and all well wishers,thanks so much for your replies,i appreciate you all,pls does germany,belgium and holland operate a visa free also if am travelling with my eea wife? also is swistzerland part of eea country and do u know if they also operate visa free if am with my eea wife.thanks
All EU countries apply directive 2004/38/EC.

Switzerland does not accept non-schengen issued residence cards.

DAMMYDAMMY

Post by DAMMYDAMMY » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:39 pm

thanks EUsmileWEallsmile,pls can u explain futher on swistzerland pls,i am not clear what u re trying to say,and pls if i decided to apply for schengen visa from my wifes consulate,what are d requirements,bicos i may wish to travel alone sometimes.

many thanks

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:14 am

Switzerland is not a member of the EU and so the directive does not apply there. Freedom of movement does, however, and it is possible to get a free visa under similar arrangements.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:14 am

DAMMYDAMMY wrote:,bicos i may wish to travel alone sometimes.
Travel alone and you will need a visa.

newbieholland

Post by newbieholland » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:00 am

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Switzerland is not a member of the EU and so the directive does not apply there. Freedom of movement does, however, and it is possible to get a free visa under similar arrangements.
One can travel to Swiss on a Schengen visa , IMO.
"The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining."

sum1
- thin ice -

Post by sum1 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:13 am

newbieholland wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:Switzerland is not a member of the EU and so the directive does not apply there. Freedom of movement does, however, and it is possible to get a free visa under similar arrangements.
A visa national is required to have a Schengen visa for Switzerland unless they hold a residence permit issued by a Schengen country (and that residence permit has been reported as 'Schengen-active' to Brussels but I believe most are). That's because Switzerland itself is a Schengen member and not an EEA member.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:01 pm

newbieholland wrote:
You can, but I don't think that was the question asked - sorry if this was not clear.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:33 am

It would be pretty cool (but unrealistic) if a HUGE number of people travelling visa-free from UK/Ireland to mainland Europe would ask the Swiss Embassy, if they are allowed to enter Switzerland visa-free.

Since Switzerland is the only country asking for a visa (for pretty silly reasons), they would be solely responsible to issue it, even if Switzerland is not the main destination.

For example you want to travel to Germany(allowed visa-free), but need to cross Switzerland >>for a few metres<< on your way...

If they would get ~50 requests per day about this, they might eventually switch on their brains and give in...

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:09 pm

I agree it's rather silly of them.

DAMMYDAMMY

Post by DAMMYDAMMY » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:03 pm

thanks every1,pls can u inform me about the expectation of HO from me n my wife when its time for me to get permanent resident/indefinate leave after the 5years residency expires,pls what are the dos and dont....... at present my wife is on CHB,TAX CRD,HOUS BENFT,pls what are the benefits that can affect me from now to d 5years lapse ?................all reply ll be valued. many thanks

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:21 pm

DAMMYDAMMY wrote:thanks every1,pls can u inform me about the expectation of HO from me n my wife when its time for me to get permanent resident/indefinate leave after the 5years residency expires,pls what are the dos and dont....... at present my wife is on CHB,TAX CRD,HOUS BENFT,pls what are the benefits that can affect me from now to d 5years lapse ?................all reply ll be valued. many thanks
This is an instance where it would be better to start another thread in the EEA route forum. (The reason being it's nothing to do with your original thread and it would be better in the EEA route section).

DAMMYDAMMY

Post by DAMMYDAMMY » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:21 am

thanks so much,i ll open another topic on this,many thanks

sum1
- thin ice -

Post by sum1 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:39 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:I agree it's rather silly of them.
Of the Swiss? They do not have a legal choice. They would need to amend their bilateral agreement with the EU. Problem of that is that the free movement agreement is part of a bundle of agreements. If one falls all fall (Guillotine clause). Also, a new popular vote would need to be held.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:55 am

sum1 wrote:
EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:I agree it's rather silly of them.
Of the Swiss? They do not have a legal choice. They would need to amend their bilateral agreement with the EU. Problem of that is that the free movement agreement is part of a bundle of agreements. If one falls all fall (Guillotine clause). Also, a new popular vote would need to be held.
This has nothing to do with the bilaterals or the "guillotine clause".

Just before Switzerland joined Schengen (freedom of movement and the bilaterals were already in place), Switzerland unilaterally accepted all(!) UK, Irish, Bulgarian, Romanian and Cypriot residence permits as good for an entry into Switzerland for up to 90 days.

When Switzerland joined Schengen they thought that above is no longer possible, as (some) people with such residence-permits are NOT admitted to Schengen.

That is correct, but the emphasis is on "some" - as they didn´t include "family members of EU-citizens" into their calculation:

As a result, "family members of EU-citizens who are usually visa-required in Schengen, but resident in above 5 countries" are now admitted visa-free to ALL Schengen-countries, except Switzerland.

Reason is, that their freedom of movement is derived from 2004/38/EC (which is not applicable in Switzerland), but not through any Schengen rule.

It´s a bit complicated, but once you understand you see why this is EXCLUSIVELY the Swiss authority´s fault. In order to bridge the gap, they could -as before Schengen- unilaterally accept "family members of EU-citizens who are usually visa-required in Schengen, but resident in above 5 countries"´s residence-permits, and everything would be back to making sense.

PS - I know what I say here is complicated and technical. If you find a better way to describe the same, I´d be happy to hear it.

See a real-life example of the stoopidity of this rule >>here<<.

Rgds, Christian

sum1
- thin ice -

Post by sum1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:52 pm

ca.funke wrote:It´s a bit difficult to understand, but once you do you see how stoopid this is, and it´s EXCLUSIVELY the Swiss authority´s fault. In order to bridge the gap, they could -as before Schengen- unilaterally accept "family members of EU-citizens who are usually visa-required in Schengen, but resident in above 5 countries"´s residence-permits, and everything would be back to making sense.
How so without being in conflict with the Schengen rules or the bilaterals? Neither provides for visa-free travel as you say. How do you propose to break out of this corset? Does the Schengen agreement allow extensions beyond the original agreement (it would obviously not be a problem for the other Schengen members)? Could a change be legally challenged within CH, in other words would it be lawful?

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:34 pm

sum1 wrote:How so without being in conflict with the Schengen rules or the bilaterals? Neither provides for visa-free travel as you say. How do you propose to break out of this corset? Does the Schengen agreement allow extensions beyond the original agreement (it would obviously not be a problem for the other Schengen members)? Could a change be legally challenged within CH, in other words would it be lawful?
These changes would NOT be in conflict with the Schengen rules, or let´s say only indirectly, or at least it wouldn´t matter.

Fact of the matter is, that "family members of EU-citizens" may already travel to all Schengen countries (except Switzerland) without a visa. However, they may travel to these countries >>because these are EU/EEA countries<<, not because they are Schengen countries.

For exactly and only this specific reason such people may travel to all EU/EEA countries, but not Switzerland.

If Switzerland, in the light of the above, would unilaterally also accept such people, especially since there are no "checks on persons" between CH and any neighboring state, this would be much more logical than anything we have now.

Hope this is clearer?

Other real life story (I already posted this before, but can´t find it now): I know a German/Colombian couple, living in Dublin. They went to Munich to visit their German parents(in law). Obviously they went to Germany visa-free.

Next they wanted to skii, and did so by driving to Switzerland. They had a fantastic week in Switzerland and drove back to Germany....

....they weren´t even aware of doing something illegal, and when I told them that their visit to Switzerland was illegal, they initially didn´t believe me.

They wrote (just like me) 2 or 3 emails to the >>ministry of foreign affairs<< venting their anger, but got nothing back except "you do need a visa for Switzerland"...

...ever since they skii in Liechtenstein or Austria. Bad luck for the >>very well running Swiss tourism industry<< (although this is a year old, the situation remains unchanged ;)).

sum1
- thin ice -

Post by sum1 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:16 pm

ca.funke wrote:
sum1 wrote:How so without being in conflict with the Schengen rules or the bilaterals? Neither provides for visa-free travel as you say. How do you propose to break out of this corset? Does the Schengen agreement allow extensions beyond the original agreement (it would obviously not be a problem for the other Schengen members)? Could a change be legally challenged within CH, in other words would it be lawful?
These changes would NOT be in conflict with the Schengen rules, or let´s say only indirectly, or at least it wouldn´t matter.
And there lies the problem. You opine that CH can unlaterally make this change without actually arguing why. I am of the opinion that they can't because the Schengen agreement gave CH very clear rules how to operate their immigration. They cannot easily break out of this as mentioned earlier.