ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

new green card scheme, implement from jan2007.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:51 am

Other Schemes
The new arrangements to be launched on 24 January will also include new Spousal and Graduate Schemes.

The above is taken from the document on the website of DETE. Lets hope this graduate scheme is as comprehensive as SEGS or the fresh talent: work in Scotland initiative. Don't get your hopes up yet, it may be a disappointment i.e. limited to medical students and nurses for example, but its all just speculation. We will know on the 24th Jan when it will be published.

rtutte
Newly Registered

New Irish Green Card and Geographical Disparity

Post by rtutte » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:57 pm

On 24th January we will know more in detail about this "green card". However from the information picked up in bits and pieces from different web sites and news paper interviews, there are a couple of items that bother me.

1) Those who earn more than 60K will get green card. - Fine, those who pay more tax to the state get better status from the state. However, despite the small size of Ireland, the salaries widely differ between different cities/towns. For those who get employed in Dublin, it is not so hard to come up with 60K figure, but people in the same profession employed in other cities know how hard it is to reach 60K figure. Doesn't this introduce a geographical disparity in the work force status?

2) Those who earn between 30K and 60K will also be given green card(that is little bit different from the first one!?) - Fine again, but who is going to monitor the salary of a person and update his green card status? If one gets promotion, changes jobs, changes the job location it is very well possible that his salary may fall from one bracket to another(either upwards or downwards). Until now Garda Immigration bureau does the renewal business for work visa holders. But in the above mentioned changing situation, which department is going to check the salary figure and update the green card status accordingly?

In my opinion, attaching the status to work category would make more sense than the salary figure - as the first one is more fixed than the second one.

I hope the Minister's announcement on 24th Jan will have explanations covering all these concerns of many - who are already in Ireland under work visa/work permit schemes.

p.s: does this green card go this way? - Intial 2 years validity, 3 years on next extension, 5 years on following extension and then with permanent residence? Does it amout to 10 years of stay before having permanent residence?

Best Regards,
Ramson Tutte.

pjungfisio
Newly Registered

hey ramson

Post by pjungfisio » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:11 pm

I'm sure with the people earning between 30K to 60K they will monitor how much these people earn via tax return forms, pay slips etc. I think prospective applicants would need to verify how much they earn in a financial year to apply or reapply for the green card, similar to the HSMP whereby you have to send in your tax return letter or pay slips to show them this is how much I earnt in a 12 month period.

Your right Ramson, I think alot of people are eagerly awaiting news of this Green Card. It's news your holding your breath for because there has been next to no information on this. Its been so frustrating as I think alot of non EEA nationals abroad or in Ireland like myself don't know whats going to happen come January 24th. Good luck with it anyway

pjungfisio
Newly Registered

green card info released today

Post by pjungfisio » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:10 am

hey guys
check out entemp.ie
the minister has released the new green card scheme officially today with more infor to come regarding the occupationsthatr fit the relevant criteria....stay posted

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:33 pm

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:49 am

The new graduate scheme isnt really a scheme, its more a joke than anything else. Again coming up short compared to the UK programmes. Apparently its a sticky issue involving the 'social partners' ie unions.

rtutte
Newly Registered

Huge fees

Post by rtutte » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:40 pm

The new scheme happens to have some good aspects:

1_ Green card holder's spouse can come to Ireland immediately. Earlier they had to wait for 3 months before even making a visa application.

2_ After 2 years it is renewed indefinitely.

3_ Non-EEA students can stay and find a job after completing their course

4_ All permit holders can change job

However it has some negative points too

1_ the spouse of work permit holder has to wait for 1 year before coming to Ireland. Cruel.

2_ The fees for renewing the permits is increased very heavily.

pjungfisio
Newly Registered

Post by pjungfisio » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:36 pm

so guys how long will it take to get a green card once you apply for it?

it seems like u can only apply once u have a job offer which is fair enough

what happens if ur job commences before the application process..

can u work while your application is been processed?!

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:43 pm

There's not much 'new' in the arrangements. They've just been tweaked slightly.

Stating that non-EEA students can stay and find a job is not technically correct. In fact they may apply to have their stay extended by 6 months, and if they are successful in finding a job they can apply for a green card/work permit. Although the extra time is of some help, it will make no difference for 99% of graduates who still have to meet the labour market test (which has been made more strict) because the job is unlikely to have a starting salary of 30 000. Its great for graduates who will be able to start their careers on 30 000 per year, for the rest the reality will be quite different!

Also permit holders can only change job after 12 months with the initial employer (only in exceptional cases can they change before this).
If you wish to change after 12 months, you may do so provided you re-apply for a new work permit/green card permit.

Finally, the fees havent been increased. The first workpermit valid for 2 years will be 1000, the renewal for 3 years will be 1500 i.e. the previous figure of 500 per year has been retained.

It is a step in the right direction but many people agree that it doesnt go far enough in reforming the employment permits system. SME's are still having great difficulty in finding suitable employees. Some of them have even suggested that the new rules will drive up inflation due to the salary requirements.

rtutte
Newly Registered

Post by rtutte » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:44 pm

Perhaps the fees is not increased for work permits, but certainly for work visa, where they expect more people to come in. In the past it was €100 only; now it is €1000 for the first time and €1500 the second time. It is indeed a significant increase on any scale.

If a green card holder wishes to change job after 2 years, i.e., after the first extension, he doesn't have to re-apply for a permit - as he would have indefinite permit. Yes, that is different from persent work visa, where there is no need to reapply on job change.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:29 pm

I've read that they aim to process applications in 2 weeks, hopefully they achieve this.

You need a job offer which states that it is for 2 years or more and that the salary is above 30 000.

You may not work unless you have been granted an employment permit so you may not work during the application process, unless you already have a work permit and wish to switch to the new green card permit.

The details are a bit unclear regarding the indefinite permit. You certainly have to apply for this- im sure it will be made clear at a later stage because no one is eligible at this early stage.

rtutte
Newly Registered

Post by rtutte » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:04 pm

At this early stage many are eligible for this "indefinite green card" upon the next renewal of former work visas.

I am not too sure whether that works that way or former work visas will be converted as fresh Green Card on their next renewal.

I noticed former work permit holders can get a new Green Card on next renewal, if they meet the requirements of it. Nowhere, I could find anything about former work visa renewal.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:29 pm

My understanding is that whatever permit you currently hold you could apply for any of the new schemes provided you meet the requirements.

So if you have a workpermit, you can make a fresh application for a green card and return your current work permit to the department.

It would be great if they would allow current work visa/authorisation holders to convert to the indefinite period but im not sure they will allow this. I suspect they will say that once you had the green card for 2 years you can apply for the indefinite permit.

pjungfisio
Newly Registered

Query about Green Card

Post by pjungfisio » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:54 am

hey guys...this is an exert from the green card guide on entemp.ie
Note: a labour market needs test (e.g. advertisement of the vacancy with FÁS/EURES and in newspapers) is not required for a Green Card application What does this mean?!.

In the new work permit application form when you apply for the Green Card it states that under Vacancy Requirements:
An Employment Permit will not be issued where the Employer applicant has not advertised the vacancy in the EURES employment network and
in one or more newspapers circulated in the State and having employed these means, neither a citizen nor a foreign national who does not
require an employment permit could be found to fill the vacancy.

Doesn't this contradict with the first point in the Green Card Guide about not having to advertise in EURES.

In the second point does it mean that non-EEA nationals will always be at a disadvantage when applying for the same job as Irish/EEA nationals....hmmm

ronpatton
Newly Registered

Green Card Schems for Skilled Workers (Physicians)

Post by ronpatton » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:51 pm

Has anyone heard if Medical Doctors will be included in this new scheme? Most postings don't mention M.D.'s,.....

sanjay07
Newly Registered

Post by sanjay07 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:46 am

It would appear that Ireland desrves an award if any is given to a country with such a high level of confussion and contradictions. Firstly Minister Michael Matin has done nothing but enshrined the existing work permit sytem in legislation while creating the impression that a new "GREEN CARD" system has been put in place. In doing so the minister and his "men" had successfully contradicted them sleves in many ways. Last year the minister in its address to the Dail (The Irish Paliament ) stated and i quote
" Thirdly, Green Card holders will be permitted to bring their spouses and families to join them immediately, and their spouses will have the right to work without a work permit". (Source: http://www.entemp.ie/press/2005/20051012b.htm)
According to the recently passed "GREEN CARD" proceedure as published on the Department of trade and Enterprise website on their FAQ section, it reads
"Can my Spouse and Dependants work? Yes once they are legally resident in the State on the basis of being your Spouse or Dependant, they are free to seek employment and apply for a Spousal/Dependant work permit" What a bunch of contradiction! The other buggling part is that the department of enterprise has not clarify to date the future of those existing on the current working visa/ work authorisation scheme.
I dont know folks, it is the election year here in Ireland if you ask me the only winner with this new scheme is the minister who no doubt have score a lot of political points at the expense of helpless immigrant. Can Ireland eat its cake and have it? It remains to be seen. I REST MY CASE :!:

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:42 pm

I wait for the day all the eastern europeans decide they are sick of being treated like slaves in the jobs the irish dont want to do... It wont be a pretty sight! All due to bad planning. Like I've said before, these new regulations are the old one's tweaked a bit, much of it is recycled from the old system. We will have to wait and see how the implementation goes after 1st Feb. I wouldnt be surprised if this ends up in the courts, with all the contradictions... Another one being the fact that to get a dependent permit you must have a stamp 3, but if you are over 18 and are still a dependent and studying, you can't have stamp 3. The departments have clearly not been communicating with each other!

alex1
Newly Registered

Post by alex1 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:22 pm

can anybody help me! i am working here for 4yrs and have to renew my permit in april. i came here as a dependant spouse and changed the status after got the job. my husband recently got his PR.
can i renew my permit without fees next time or any suggestions as the dept is not answering my question?

jsj2601
Newly Registered

IRISH GREEN CARD

Post by jsj2601 » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:01 am

i am foreign nationl, a Bsc Nurse, got registered with
An Bord Altranis, currently staying in India, now got
a job offer from one of the Hospitals in Ireland.

Sir, Please advice in my case you will apply for a
Green card? My employer in Ireland or myself from
India?

JAJ
Australia

Re: IRISH GREEN CARD

Post by JAJ » Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:41 am

jsj2601 wrote:i am foreign nationl, a Bsc Nurse, got registered with
An Bord Altranis, currently staying in India, now got
a job offer from one of the Hospitals in Ireland.
No need to ask the same question twice:
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=13403

skhan
Newly Registered

Post by skhan » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:34 am

Hi All.
what is the processing time for the green card scheme. Is it the same as it was for "Work Permit" or is it reduced?

Regards.
-Sohail

rtutte
Newly Registered

Green Card

Post by rtutte » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:17 pm

It would take between 2 and 3 months now. They already have got some backlogs to clear up. But the aim is to reduce the processing time to 15 days (and that would happen in a decade).

Some more news on existing(now discontinued) work visa:
Green Card 1 - with 2 year validity €1000
Green Card 2 - with indefinite duration €1500

1) They have to apply for Green Card 1.

2) Though it is issued to the employee(as entemp says), it is attached to the employer(as entemp indirectly says). So whenever there is a job change, a new application should be made - until one gets long term residency from department of naturalization. If you haven't got long term residency, it doesn't matter whether you have Green Card 1 or 2, you have to reapply for it if you change job(and pay €1000 or €1500 depending on permit 1 or 2 you have).

Remark: IMHO it is less flexible and more expensive than the good old work visa, which was REALLY given to the employee and not attached to the employer.

pjungfisio
Newly Registered

thanks rtutte

Post by pjungfisio » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:35 am

thanks for the info...if the wait for the green card is that long what do we do if we get a job offer but it starts before the time the green card is issued...no employer would hire u if they have to wait for you to get the green card...this is riduculous

rtutte
Newly Registered

Post by rtutte » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:59 pm

Rules changed again. Exisiting work visa holders don't have to go through painful Green Card processing, unless they want to.

http://www.entemp.ie/labour/workpermits ... sation.htm