ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I travel after applying for naturalisation?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

shubhoh
Newly Registered

Can I travel after applying for naturalisation?

Post by shubhoh » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:34 pm

If applied using NCS, you will be able to keep your original documents. You need to be physically present in the UK when the HO receives your application and that is why NCS will request not to travel for 5 days following the appointment with them. After that you can travel (just don’t forget to come back for the ceremony if approved).
This is what I read in the sticky FAQ above on this forum. I dont think this is correct.

The requirement is that you should have been in the UK at the beginning of the residential qualifying period. For example, if UKBA receive your application on 25 March 2010, you must show that you were in the UK on 26 March 2005.

Please could seniors comment on this? as we are travelling just after making the ncs appointment.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:43 pm

I am also be interested in comments on this.

My husband applied via NCS last week Friday (5 October) and was told that his application would be sent off "immediately" by SD; I imagine "immediately" to realistically mean the following Monday - 8 October.

We are travelling out of the UK tomorrow for a few days and I wonder if this is risky? My husband is oblivious to this rule and, as he is a worry-wort, I don't want to mention anything until i'm sure it might be a problem.

Thanks

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:56 pm

No, that is accurate - you need to be present at the start of the qualifying period and on the date of application - which is the day HO receives your appliction (see page 17 of the guide AN). Otherwise, the application will be invalid. Search the forum, that question has been asked a lot of times already, here for example. The NCS advises to stay in the UK at least 5 days after submitting via NCS. If you submit directly, use guaranteed next-day-delivery to be on the safe side. Once you have delivery confirmation, you are free to travel at your leisure.

shubhoh
Newly Registered

Post by shubhoh » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:59 pm

Gyfrinachgar wrote:No, that is accurate - you need to be present at the start of the qualifying period and on the date of application - which is the day HO receives your appliction (see page 17 of the guide AN). Otherwise, the application will be invalid. Search the forum, that question has been asked a lot of times already, here for example. The NCS advises to stay in the UK at least 5 days after submitting via NCS. If you submit directly, use guaranteed next-day-delivery to be on the safe side. Once you have delivery confirmation, you are free to travel at your leisure.
The page 17 of the guide says u Shud b in uk when home office or local British gov representative receives it. Well in this case its the NCS!!?? So u r free to go once its with NCS.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:04 pm

shubhoh wrote:The page 17 of the guide says u Shud b in uk when home office or local British gov representative receives it. Well in this case its the NCS!!?? So u r free to go once its with NCS.
The NCS is neither part of the HO nor of an overseas British representative (regulations concerning the latter have changed recently, but that is a different story). NCS is a service provided by the local councils in cooperation with the HO. As I said before, you are strongly advised to refrain from leaving the country within 5 working days from your appointment at the very least. See Harrow Council guidelines as a nice and informative example. You can also ask the NCS of your choice what they recommend, but I doubt it will be any different.

mcovet
BANNED

Post by mcovet » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:43 pm

doubt the UKBA has any way of checking you are out of the UK on that Monday/Tuesday they receive your papers. Have NEVER heard of anyone having that problem so it may simply be a quirk of the law which isn't enforced in practice. The bit with you being in the UK 3-5 years before your application is more straightforward in that they can check your passport for a date stamp.

abc_uk
Newly Registered

Re: Can I travel after applying for naturalisation?

Post by abc_uk » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:21 pm

Hi, I could not find a more recent answer on this, so would anyone know if the requirement of being present in the UK on the date application is received by HO is still a valid requirement?
Gyfrinachgar wrote:- you need to be present at the start of the qualifying period and on the date of application - which is the day HO receives your application (see page 17 of the guide AN). Otherwise, the application will be invalid.
The above quote is from 2010, so is it still valid? I went through the new guide (dated Oct 2013) and searched on UKBA web-site but could not find anything on that.

My spouse will be applying on Friday (in Feb) via NCS and we have a flight scheduled on the following Monday. So very keen for any advise

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:57 pm

The rule changed in July 2012 - physical presence, when HO receives the appl, is no longer a requirement.

Q2: Can I travel after applying for naturalisation?

NOG
Member of Standing

Post by NOG » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:17 pm

NCS lady at my appointment told me that I could leave the country that very evening.

leechouchou
Newly Registered

Post by leechouchou » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:42 pm

I am just wondering if the NCS will return all my travel documents, including the residence card, as I will travel abroad after submitting the application.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks