ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship Ceremonies - private vs public

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

kel
- thin ice -

Post by kel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:37 pm

yesterday was one week since i booked my ceremony and i haven't rcvd any form of written confirmation. how long does it normally take for them to send you something? is this usually in the post or via email? they did ask for my email address so was wondering.

badbug27
Newly Registered

Post by badbug27 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:44 pm

I went with a private as I couldn't make the first available date that was a month away. And didn't want to wait for 2 months as I needed passport to travel.

But my local council only charged £75 (should have been only £67 according to their website) for 2 adults so I was quite happy to pay this. I missed the proper ceremony but the lady who did our private ceremony was extremely nice and took pictures and made it a good occasion.

kel
- thin ice -

Post by kel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:01 pm

badbug, which local authority did you pay that price? if mine was offering it so cheap i would have definitely chose private as well but didn't see it necessary to pay the £150 they were asking when i am not in a hurry really.

i am looking forward to the public ceremony though.

noble72uk
- thin ice -

Post by noble72uk » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:44 pm

kel wrote:badbug, which local authority did you pay that price? if mine was offering it so cheap i would have definitely chose private as well but didn't see it necessary to pay the £150 they were asking when i am not in a hurry really.

£150 is too much to pay as you are not in a rush, just get a public one and get your passport application ready and apply for a passport Via Post (Check & Send) office on the same day as ceremony, honestly it doesn't take a full 6 weeks for the passport.

£150 you can buy a nice Christmas presents for your family back home in December

:D :D :D

badbug27
Newly Registered

Post by badbug27 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:03 pm

kel wrote:badbug, which local authority did you pay that price? if mine was offering it so cheap i would have definitely chose private as well but didn't see it necessary to pay the £150 they were asking when i am not in a hurry really.

Cheshire East. But I would have gone for a public ceremony if I could've made it. The Mayor is there to give you the certificate and you probably will remember it as an occasion for your life. I didn't have much choice due to busy work life, passports expiring etc.

kel
- thin ice -

Post by kel » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:55 pm

:P Thanks noble, you r oh so right. That is exactly what i will be doing.

Thanks badbug

kel
- thin ice -

Post by kel » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:56 am

kel wrote:yesterday was one week since i booked my ceremony and i haven't rcvd any form of written confirmation. how long does it normally take for them to send you something? is this usually in the post or via email? they did ask for my email address so was wondering.
i called the council today and they said i should have rcvd an email at the time the booking was made. the nice lady said not to worry though as my booking is confirmed and all i need to bring with me is my invitation letter, passport and 2 guest if i wish to.

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:05 am

kel wrote:
i called the council today and they said i should have rcvd an email at the time the booking was made. the nice lady said not to worry though as my booking is confirmed and all i need to bring with me is my invitation letter, passport and 2 guest if i wish to.

Good one.. all set then!
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

kel
- thin ice -

Post by kel » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:39 am

yes :D
i am looking forward to the ceremony. won't be taking any guests though

kel
- thin ice -

Post by kel » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:01 am

Since one of my work colleague who was planning to take 31st october off work has cancelled his holidays for that week I will now have the entire day off so will not need to rush to get to work after the ceremony. I am looking forward to it :)

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:07 am

kel wrote:Since one of my work colleague who was planning to take 31st october off work has cancelled his holidays for that week I will now have the entire day off so will not need to rush to get to work after the ceremony. I am looking forward to it :)
Make the most of the day then... hopefully celebrations are on the cards :)
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

kel
- thin ice -

Post by kel » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:26 am

indeed! I will try and make the most of it :D

Jellybean123
Newly Registered

Post by Jellybean123 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:47 am

My ceremony is on the 20th of November and I can not wait!

kel
- thin ice -

Post by kel » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:28 pm

was that the earliest date you could get or did you choose to have it that late?

mine is in 10 days :D

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:20 pm

Do you have to go to your local council if you are doing a private ceremony? Or can you just go to the cheapest one?

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:34 am

niteshj wrote:Do you have to go to your local council if you are doing a private ceremony? Or can you just go to the cheapest one?
Your local council as your Certificate will be with them.
Life's too short .. Take it easy !

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:25 pm

vinitmanu wrote:
niteshj wrote:Do you have to go to your local council if you are doing a private ceremony? Or can you just go to the cheapest one?
Your local council as your Certificate will be with them.
just to clarify on this, FORM AN allows you to nominate which council you would like to have your ceremony in - so if you find that you want a private citizenship ceremony and it is cheaper in another council besides yours then in 1.21 nominate this alternate council (e.g. we have already read in this thread that private citizenship ceremony costs can vary from 75 to 150 quid)

so in answer to my own question, yes you can go to a different council for your ceremony if it's cheaper than your own council as long as you nominate the cheaper council in the FORM AN

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:14 am

niteshj wrote:we have already read in this thread that private citizenship ceremony costs can vary from 75 to 150 quid
£170 in South Gloucestershire!

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:32 am

Just happen to stumble on Bradfiord citizenship page, they seem to do private ceremony for £50... not a bad choice for anyone who lives nearby and is in a rush

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:55 pm

In Islington council I think it is £120 for private on Tue - Thu, £200-300 on Friday and about £500 on saturday :shock: that's just for a 3 minute ceremony as someone already said how long it was in islington

sojan

What's the real difference b/w Private and Public Ceremony?

Post by sojan » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Folks,
any difference in between private & public ceremony from a process perspective?
Any documents we need to take alongside private ceremony?
How long it takes for private ceremony?