ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Indian tourist visa - 2 month non-return rule ?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

t1seeker

Indian tourist visa - 2 month non-return rule ?

Post by t1seeker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:24 am

Hi all

Need a bit of help here.

I recently obtained British citizenship. All said and done hopefully should get the British passport by 25th of this month (fingers-crossed).

Now I have a predicament.

I need to travel to India urgently most likely in mid-nov and end-dec for personal matters. So not enough time to get my OCI before mid-nov.

Now one option available to me is get a 6 mnth multiple-entry Indian toursit visa, but I was reading on VFS website about this weird rule India has that on a double/multiple entry tourist visa, you can NOT re-enter India within 2 months of last exit !!! So if I go in Nov I can not go back until Jan.

Beats me, but thats the rule, so it is what it is. Is it really the case that I can not go back to India for 2 months after coming back, or can they grant specific expemtions on case by case basis ?

Second option is go surrender Indian passport & apply for OCI ASAP after getting British passport, take tourist visa and go in Nov in the hope that OCI will be sorted by mid-dec (6 weeks) so I can travel in end-Dec with OCI. But if I dont get OCI by mid-dec then there is really no way to go to India.

Can't think of any other way around this and dont want to travel on Indian passport and end up on the wrong side of the law.

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:34 pm

The only option without OCI is the one you mentioned.
Apply for OCI as soon as you get British PP. Turaround time if done in person is 4 wks, so it should be ready by the time you return after your first visit. Only other option is to apply for OCI in person from Delhi, India while you are there.