ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrendring Indian passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

blueygrey
Newly Registered

Timelines

Post by blueygrey » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:14 pm

1 Adult
Mode of application: Personal, VFS Hayes
Date of application: 15/03/2012
Date received by Indian high commission: 15 or 16/03/2012
Date passport revoked: 16/03/2012
Date of receipt of SC: 19/03/2012 Collection from Hayes

Total working days 3

Impressive on both VFS and HCI. Waiting time at Hayes while submitting application was 15 minutes and while collection 1 minute. Hayes VFS also has a car park next door at Quality Foods. 2 pounds for 2 hours which one can get cash back if you purchase goodies worth 5 quid from Quality foods.

Thanks Drwho for your comments as well.

Journey for OCI begins, will post update in the OCI post for the timelines there.

MJo
Newly Registered

Mistake with Surrender Application by High Commission

Post by MJo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Hi guys,

New to this forum so might be posting this in the wrong place but hope someone can help. I recently became a naturalised British citizen and surrendered my Indian passport at VFS Victoria last week.

However, on tracking my application online, I found that the High Commission were trying to charge me the penalty for travelling on the Indian passport post naturalisation though I have not travelled on it since well before I became a British citizen.

I went to the VFS office in London and the guys spotted the mistake the High Commission had made straight away but he said he could not do anything but resubmit the application for free with a covering letter written by me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Will this delay my surrender certificate massively? It would be good to know what to expect.

Thank you!

newdawn
Newly Registered

Postal Application

Post by newdawn » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:48 am

Mode of application: Postal
Date of application: 26/03/2012
Date received by Indian high commission: Don't know
Date passport revoked: 28/03/2012
Date of receipt of SC: 31/03/2012

Rana123
Newly Registered

Re: Mistake with Surrender Application by High Commission

Post by Rana123 » Sat May 26, 2012 8:31 am

Hi MJo,

I am very keen to understand the resolution.

I too applied for this Surrender Certificate just this week. Yesterday I received an email (from VFS) asking me to submit my 'latest passport' issued in 1999. I responded back saying that my latest passport was valid till 2002, attached with the application and no other passport was issued since 1992 (10 year validity). The attached passport pages would also show that I have numerous visa and stamps well beyond 1999 and till 2001 when I obtained my first British passport.

I guess it is either a mistake on HCI's part or the email was meant for someone else. However, I will not be surprised if it becomes my responsibility to prove that the error is on their side.

Thanks,

Rana
MJo wrote:Hi guys,

New to this forum so might be posting this in the wrong place but hope someone can help. I recently became a naturalised British citizen and surrendered my Indian passport at VFS Victoria last week.

However, on tracking my application online, I found that the High Commission were trying to charge me the penalty for travelling on the Indian passport post naturalisation though I have not travelled on it since well before I became a British citizen.

I went to the VFS office in London and the guys spotted the mistake the High Commission had made straight away but he said he could not do anything but resubmit the application for free with a covering letter written by me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Will this delay my surrender certificate massively? It would be good to know what to expect.

Thank you!

valluvan

Post by valluvan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Sorry not sure if this is the right place for this question

We had applied for a UK passport for my Child 3 weeks back and since we were promised to get it within 2 weeks of submission, I had booked our tickets to India on 29th Jul. The plan was to apply for a Indian visa for my daughter once the UK passport comes.

Does anyone know how long CGI b'gham take to issue an Indian Visa. Becoming concerned as the British passport has not yet come and we have only 6 working days before our travel.

Another twist is that me and my daughter(wife is still on ILR) aquired BC only a month back and we have not yet surrended/cancelled our Indian passports yet. I don't know if this will come to haunt us when we apply for a Indian Visa for my daughter.

Any thoughts/Suggestions?

Cheers
Val

valluvan

Post by valluvan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:58 pm

valluvan wrote:Sorry not sure if this is the right place for this question

We had applied for a UK passport for my Child 3 weeks back and since we were promised to get it within 2 weeks of submission, I had booked our tickets to India on 29th Jul. The plan was to apply for a Indian visa for my daughter once the UK passport comes.

Does anyone know how long CGI b'gham take to issue an Indian Visa. Becoming concerned as the British passport has not yet come and we have only 6 working days before our travel.

Another twist is that me and my daughter(wife is still on ILR) aquired BC only a month back and we have not yet surrended/cancelled our Indian passports yet. I don't know if this will come to haunt us when we apply for a Indian Visa for my daughter.

Cheers
Val
Applied for the surrender certificate today. Any idea how long CGI bgham take to issue it?

Apparently they stopped accepting surrender and Indian Visa applications at the same time. We were told to come back to apply for the Indian visa once we get the indian passport surrender certificate

valluvan

Post by valluvan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:18 pm

valluvan wrote:

Cheers
Val
Applied for the surrender certificate today. Any idea how long CGI bgham take to issue it?

Apparently they stopped accepting surrender and Indian Visa applications at the same time. We were told to come back to apply for the Indian visa once we get the indian passport surrender certificate
Good news. Got the surrender certificate today. All in all 4 days for the certificate. Really impressed.Appplied for the Visa today. Hoping to get it before friday as the flight is in the weekend. Anyone how long in CGI bgham takes for a Visa for a Child?

valluvan

Post by valluvan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:42 pm

valluvan wrote:
valluvan wrote:

Cheers
Val

Good news. Got the surrender certificate today. All in all 4 days for the certificate. Really impressed.Appplied for the Visa today. Hoping to get it before friday as the flight is in the weekend. Anyone how long in CGI bgham takes for a Visa for a Child?
For the benefit of others:

We got the visa today. Timelines below

Surrender Certificate applcation Submission: 26-Jul-2012
Surrender Certificate Ready for collection: 31-Jul-2012
Indian Visa Application: 31-Jul-2012
Indian Visa ready for collection: 2-Aug-2012

It took 4 working days for surrender and 3 days for Visa. Notificed that around 10.30 A.M the status for online tracking the application changes and the text/sms gets sent out at 1.30PM

manoj123

Post by manoj123 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:47 am

My timeline for Surrender Certificate
1 Adult
Mode of application: Personal, VFS Victoria, London
Date of application: 03/08/2012
Date received by Indian high commission: 06/08/2012
Date passport revoked: 07/08/012
Date of receipt of SC: 08/08/2012 by DXcourier

barnsley11
Newly Registered

Post by barnsley11 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:49 pm

My timeline for Surrender Certificate
1 Adult
Mode of application: Postal ,
Date of application: 20/09/2012
Date received by Indian high commission:
Date passport revoked:
Date of receipt of SC:

disdil4u

Post by disdil4u » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Do you have any update from VFS?
Thanks
barnsley11 wrote:My timeline for Surrender Certificate
1 Adult
Mode of application: Postal ,
Date of application: 20/09/2012
Date received by Indian high commission:
Date passport revoked:
Date of receipt of SC:

welcome321
Newly Registered

Surrender Certificate@CGI Birmingham

Post by welcome321 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:37 am

Has any one applied the Surrender Certificate applcation in Birmingham? how long it is taking these days??

t1seeker

Re: Surrender Certificate@CGI Birmingham

Post by t1seeker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:40 pm

welcome321 wrote:Has any one applied the Surrender Certificate applcation in Birmingham? how long it is taking these days??
Can someone please advise the same for London in-person applications. Thanks!

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:09 pm

I'm about to apply for surrender certificate for myself. The photocopies of Indian passport, Uk Passport, Naturalisation certificate have to be self-attested. Does this mean just sign and date or do I need to add some words as well?

t1seeker

Post by t1seeker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:37 pm

PG1983 wrote:I'm about to apply for surrender certificate for myself. The photocopies of Indian passport, Uk Passport, Naturalisation certificate have to be self-attested. Does this mean just sign and date or do I need to add some words as well?
sign + full name + date

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:07 pm

One more question please and please excuse my ignorance but I've never applied to VFS by post before. Can I just send a normal A4 envelope with my postal application for return of documents or does it need to be a special Royal mail envelope? Same with sending the application?

welcome321
Newly Registered

Post by welcome321 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:16 am

Mode of application: Inperson@Manchester,
Date of application: 09/10/2012
Application Received@Birmingham and Sent to CGI: 10/10/2012
Date received by Indian high commission: 11/10/2012
Date passport revoked: 16/10/2012
Date of receipt of SC:17/10/2012

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:48 pm

>>One more question please and please excuse my ignorance but I've never applied to VFS by post before. Can I just send a normal A4 envelope with my postal application for return of documents or does it need to be a special Royal mail envelope? Same with sending the application?>>

Its not rocket science, reflect on how you would want to send valuabale documents

welcome321
Newly Registered

Penalties

Post by welcome321 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:32 am

I have applied for sc in VFS 2 weeks back and I have paid only SC certificate fees. , I do know I need to pay penalty for using passport but VFS didn’t collected the penalty from me. Till now I have not got any call from VFS and no update. Do anyone know how long will it take? And what process likely to be?

sunflower

Post by sunflower » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:14 am

Mode of application: Inperson@Victoria,
Date of application: 19/10/2012
Application Sent to CGI: 19/10/2012
Date received by Indian high commission: 21/10/2012
Date passport ready for collection: 23/10/2012
Date of collection of SC:TBD

MrKewl
Newly Registered

surrendering indian pp

Post by MrKewl » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:10 pm

surrendering 2 Adults + 1 child passports

Mode of application: In person @ VFS goswell road
Date of application: 19/10/2012
Application Sent to CGI: 19/10/2012
Date received by Indian high commission: 22/10/2012
Date passport ready for collection: 23/10/2012
Date of collection of SC: 23/10/2012

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:14 pm

Surrendering 1 Adult passport

Date of application: 27/10/2012
Application Sent to VFS: 29/10/2012
SC Received: 30/10/2012

jasonin
Newly Registered

Re: Penalties

Post by jasonin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:59 pm

welcome321 wrote:I have applied for sc in VFS 2 weeks back and I have paid only SC certificate fees. , I do know I need to pay penalty for using passport but VFS didn’t collected the penalty from me. Till now I have not got any call from VFS and no update. Do anyone know how long will it take? And what process likely to be?
Same thing happened to me to.
VFS didnt charge me and then the consulate called me for an interview which delayed the process to about a month. I had to pay the fine in the end :(

vij_sp_1980

Post by vij_sp_1980 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:07 pm

Surrendering 2 Adult passports

Date of application: 10/11/2012
Processed by VFS: Wed 14th November 2012 (per online tracking)
SC Received: 20/11/2012
Last edited by vij_sp_1980 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GreatMechEngr
Newly Registered

Surrender of Indian Passport - Tracking

Post by GreatMechEngr » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:11 pm

Do the tracking for surrender of Indian Passport in the following link work?

https://www.visaservices.co.in/IHC-UK-TrackPassport/(S(3kvvyc55jmsjv32vdr1lsp55))/Track_Passport.aspx

I surrendered my daughter's Indian Passport last year and it use to work at that time. Now, I sent mine through special delivery & got confirmation of receipt through Royal Mail, but got a message 'No record found' on this link. Anyone has any idea?

Update: Tracking is working now. VFS took 4 working days only to process the application and therefore, no tracking information was available until now. So, the postal application will be delayed by at least 4 days in my case (when compared to personal application at the Visa Application Centre)
Last edited by GreatMechEngr on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.