ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I be supported by my Non-EU partner?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

englishman9
Newly Registered

Can I be supported by my Non-EU partner?

Post by englishman9 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:30 pm

my Non-EU partner is working.
I am and plan to continue to be a homemaker, stay at home and look after the kids while she works.
After being here 5 years can she apply for Permanent Residence? As she is working but EU National is not?

I received a reply from EU advice but wanted to know of any experience of this.
Thanks

According to EU Advice:
In order to gain a right of permanent residence, as the family member of an EU citizen returning home after working in another EU country, your wife would need to demonstrate that:
(1) you have been living in the UK for a continuous period of at least five years before your partner applied (you should be able to prove this by any menas, for example bills in your name, any rental contract, etc.), and

(2) your partner has been living in the UK for a continuous period of at least five years before applying (your partner's passport should provide details of her date of entry in the UK and any other document that shows she has been in the UK for the last five years), and

(3) your partner is the family member of an EU citizen, and

(4) during this period, neither you nor your partner were absent from the UK for more than 6 months (or one year in exceptional circumstances).

As a result, these documents should suffice to prove conclusively that your partner was living in the UK for five years as the family member of an EU citizen who had previously worked in another EU country.

boloney

Re: Can I be supported by my Non-EU partner?

Post by boloney » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:53 pm

englishman9 wrote:my Non-EU partner is working.
I am and plan to continue to be a homemaker, stay at home and look after the kids while she works.
After being here 5 years can she apply for Permanent Residence? As she is working but EU National is not?

Thanks

According to EU Advice:
In order to gain a right of permanent residence, as the family member of an EU citizen returning home after working in another EU country, your wife would need to demonstrate that:
(1) you have been living in the UK for a continuous period of at least five years before your partner applied (you should be able to prove this by any menas, for example bills in your name, any rental contract, etc.), and

(2) your partner has been living in the UK for a continuous period of at least five years before applying (your partner's passport should provide details of her date of entry in the UK and any other document that shows she has been in the UK for the last five years), and

(4) during this period, neither you nor your partner were absent from the UK for more than 6 months (or one year in exceptional circumstances).

As a result, these documents should suffice to prove conclusively that your partner was living in the UK for five years as the family member of an EU citizen who had previously worked in another EU country.
you also need csi for whole family

Englandd
BANNED

Post by Englandd » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:59 pm

Go through the below mentioned web link to clarify further your query starting from applying the EEA2 & EEA1 to EEA3 & EEA4.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... de-eea.pdf
Success is a journey, not a destination. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

jotter
Member of Standing

Post by jotter » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:48 pm

englishman9 wrote:my Non-EU partner is working.

Thanks

According to EU Advice:

Your application would be on the basis of being a 'self-sufficient' person under EEA Treaty Rights, so this is the term you need to focus on. As mentioned above, you'll need to have comprehensive sickness insurance in your name covering the whole family, including your working partner (regardless of whether her work package includes health insurance) and children. The 'brief' explanation of this in the UKBA site is either a private health insurance covering most non-emergency procedures or non-UK EHIC cards. Further discussion elsewhere in this forum. The other measure is sufficient income to prove you do not need state support. No particular minimum amount - just collect and submit your bank statements. The other thing to be mindful of with self-sufficient status is that you need to be much more careful about public funds than an EEA national worker does. Child benefit, for example, is out. There is a doc on the UKBA site about what you can claim and what you can't.

englishman9
Newly Registered

Post by englishman9 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:30 am

Your application would be on the basis of being a 'self-sufficient' person under EEA Treaty Rights, so this is the term you need to focus on. As mentioned above, you'll need to have comprehensive sickness insurance in your name covering the whole family, including your working partner (regardless of whether her work package includes health insurance) and children. The 'brief' explanation of this in the UKBA site is either a private health insurance covering most non-emergency procedures or non-UK EHIC cards. Further discussion elsewhere in this forum. The other measure is sufficient income to prove you do not need state support. No particular minimum amount - just collect and submit your bank statements. The other thing to be mindful of with self-sufficient status is that you need to be much more careful about public funds than an EEA national worker does. Child benefit, for example, is out. There is a doc on the UKBA site about what you can claim and what you can't.

I can't see how applying as self-sufficient will reduce benefits, can you show links to this. We are claiming child benefit and child tax credits but as this is being claimed through myself as UK Citizen and my child.
The sufficient income you mention is from my non-EU partner?
The sickness insurance is now not necessary http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP ... ?locale=en

jotter
Member of Standing

Post by jotter » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:41 pm

If you are a UK citizen that is a completely different matter. You didn't mention this anywhere so far in this thread, so I assumed that you were EU non-UK, which is the usual status for person asking these kind of questions.

I've looked through your profile now and found out that yours is a Surinder Singh case. It's important that you mention this whenever you start a new thread.

Leaving that aside, you can find a statement on the difference between how a working and a self-sufficient EEA national is considered with respect to public funds here: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary

The link you mentioned is a request from the European Commission, but there is no evidence on the UKBA site to say that the UK has adopted this change. The UKBA site continues to say that CSI is needed for self-sufficient. If an applicant wishes to take their chances on that and argue their case, that's their affair.

The above is relevant to EEA non-UK. Whether it's relevant to Surinder Singh is something I'll leave to one of the moderators/gurus.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:53 pm

As the OP has been told already in a different thread, British nationals on a Surinder Singh route are not required to exercise treaty rights on their return to the UK.

hellrose

Post by hellrose » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:12 pm

jotter wrote: ... As mentioned above, you'll need to have comprehensive sickness insurance in your name covering the whole family, including your working partner (regardless of whether her work package includes health insurance) and children.
So the health insurance coverage I receive through work (it includes outpatient coverage) does not count as CSI?
Could you please detail this out for me?

EDIT: Oh wait I just saw Englishman9's post, this is great news!

Englandd
BANNED

Post by Englandd » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:18 pm

normally there are two types of health insurance plans:
1. Private medical insurance for individuals (Individual buys for itself & family)
2. Company medical insurance (employer buys for workers as part of employer liability at work)

which one is yours. provider name and type of health insurance policy.
Success is a journey, not a destination. The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

hellrose

Post by hellrose » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:31 pm

Englandd wrote:normally there are two types of health insurance plans:
1. Private medical insurance for individuals (Individual buys for itself & family)
2. Company medical insurance (employer buys for workers as part of employer liability at work)

Well actually I have Private Nordic Gold coverage right now but I was planning on cancelling it because I recently started a job that has health insurance as a benefit (I have to opt in and it takes a portion of my pay). Since it's an optional benefit that I am paying for is it still a private insurance?

Englandd
BANNED

Post by Englandd » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:09 pm

if your policy being offered from job covers all of your family in terms of inpatient and outpatient treatment despite limits on it then it will work.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:10 pm

hellrose wrote:Well actually I have Private Nordic Gold coverage right now but I was planning on cancelling it because I recently started a job that has health insurance as a benefit (I have to opt in and it takes a portion of my pay). Since it's an optional benefit that I am paying for is it still a private insurance?
The insurance doesn't need to be private as in "individual" (not a company) but rather private as in "not paid by public money".

Should be fine.

hellrose

Post by hellrose » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:13 pm

Much thanks to you both :)

jotter
Member of Standing

Post by jotter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:15 pm

hellrose wrote:
Englandd wrote:normally there are two types of health insurance plans:

Well actually I have Private Nordic Gold coverage right now but I was planning on cancelling it because I recently started a job that has health insurance as a benefit (I have to opt in and it takes a portion of my pay). Since it's an optional benefit that I am paying for is it still a private insurance?
Yes, it is. Any health cover that is not NHS and is (relatively) comprehensive should satisfy this requirement.

The main thing you need to be concerned with is this point in the EEA4 form:
"For time spent as economically self-sufficient: this [documentation] must include evidence of comprehensive sickness insurance for your EEA national family member and any family members included in your application." So you need to make sure you have everyone covered one way or another.