ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British registration Form T supporting documents.

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

cutmeloose
Newly Registered

British registration Form T supporting documents.

Post by cutmeloose » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:15 pm

OK, so I'm 19 years old. I've lived in the UK all my life and have never left the country, therefore do not have a passport. I'm trying to apply for British registration, but I strangely don't have any 'official' letters to prove that I was here from 0-10. My primary school doesn't even exist anymore. Can anything be done? Can i just use documents which show that my mother or father were here for the first 10 years of my life, and roughly how many documents should be sent.

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Read here, it depends on the Nationality of your parents and your date of birth
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... istration/

cutmeloose
Newly Registered

Post by cutmeloose » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:38 pm

gidoc wrote:Read here, it depends on the Nationality of your parents and your date of birth
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... istration/
Thanks for the reply. I know that I'm eligible for British citizenship via registration (I've checked that page before) It's providing the documents to show that I was here for 0-10 which is the issue as I'm 19 now so that was evidently a while ago.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:35 am

cutmeloose wrote:Thanks for the reply. I know that I'm eligible for British citizenship via registration (I've checked that page before) It's providing the documents to show that I was here for 0-10 which is the issue as I'm 19 now so that was evidently a while ago.
Have you got no documents of your own from school, healthcare, bank pass books, etc? Even if the school no longer exists, have you written to the Local Education Authority?

You must have some kind of NHS record in your name.

Can you get British citizens (preferably of professional standing) who knew you as a child to write a letter attesting to that?

cutmeloose
Newly Registered

Post by cutmeloose » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:17 pm

JAJ wrote:
Have you got no documents of your own from school, healthcare, bank pass books, etc? Even if the school no longer exists, have you written to the Local Education Authority?

You must have some kind of NHS record in your name.

Can you get British citizens (preferably of professional standing) who knew you as a child to write a letter attesting to that?
Thank you for the reply! . I think I'm fine on the health front/NHS so I'll send some of that since I'm sure I can just ring my health centre and ask for them to verify the claim that I was registered between those years. I also have a 'baby book' with stuff from the NHS,etc but that only covers the first 0-2 years possibly.

I'm 19, so 0-10 was quite a while ago. I didn't have a bank account at that age for obvious reasons, and keeping letters for the future is unlikely to have crossed my parents mind and most 0-10 do not get many letters addressed to them.

I'll call up my local council tomorrow and see about the school issue since this is now the only thing missing.

Do you know if you're expected to provide letters/documents which cover ever single year from 0-10 or just the majority of the period?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:57 am

cutmeloose wrote: Thank you for the reply! . I think I'm fine on the health front/NHS so I'll send some of that since I'm sure I can just ring my health centre and ask for them to verify the claim that I was registered between those years. I also have a 'baby book' with stuff from the NHS,etc but that only covers the first 0-2 years possibly.
Make sure you send certified copies rather than originals, if these are irreplaceable documents. (if they are lost it will be your problem, not the Home Office). Or use the Nationality Checking Service, although they may not handle Form T applications.
I'm 19, so 0-10 was quite a while ago. I didn't have a bank account at that age for obvious reasons, and keeping letters for the future is unlikely to have crossed my parents mind and most 0-10 do not get many letters addressed to them.
Do you know any British citizens who knew you when you were aged 0-10 and might be prepared to write a letter to the Home Office attesting to that fact?

cutmeloose
Newly Registered

Post by cutmeloose » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:46 am

JAJ wrote:

Make sure you send certified copies rather than originals, if these are irreplaceable documents. (if they are lost it will be your problem, not the Home Office). Or use the Nationality Checking Service, although they may not handle Form T applications.
I think I'll use the NCS..as my birth certificate is already on its last legs.

Do you know any British citizens who knew you when you were aged 0-10 and might be prepared to write a letter to the Home Office attesting to that fact?
I do, but I'm not sure how much weight that would have. Would that letter suffice or would I need to provide supplementary evidence? I've since moved away from my old house so would be rather awkward to go and make such a request. This is just a bit crazy if I'm honest having to prove that I've been here since I've never even left these shores, almost like I've been living a lie. I'm rummaging through my house, in the hope of finding some old documents but to no avail so far.

Do you know roughly how many documents they expect? 5? 10? 20?

Also this has made me confused in the guidance notes
Please send your/your child’s passport(s) which cover the 10 year period. As the
passport(s) may not be enough to show residence in the United Kingdom
throughout the 10 year period, send as much as you can of the following:
● Letters from schools or other educational establishments which you/your
child attended during that period
● Any other documents showing that you/your child lived in the United
Kingdom for the first 10 years of your/his/her life.
This makes me think that I can send letters addressed to my mother within that 10 year window?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:25 pm

cutmeloose wrote:I think I'll use the NCS..as my birth certificate is already on its last legs.
You can (and should) order a new birth certificate.

I do, but I'm not sure how much weight that would have. Would that letter suffice or would I need to provide supplementary evidence? I've since moved away from my old house so would be rather awkward to go and make such a request. This is just a bit crazy if I'm honest having to prove that I've been here since I've never even left these shores, almost like I've been living a lie. I'm rummaging through my house, in the hope of finding some old documents but to no avail so far.
The British Nationality Act gives you an entitlement to register as a British citizen as long as you were born in the U.K. and lived in the U.K. from birth to 10th birthday (in fact the law says absent for less than 90 days each year, but is substantially the same thing).

You need to provide evidence that shows a Home Office case worker, who has never known you before that you meet this requirement, and that you're not, for example, a U.K. born person who left in early childhood and has just returned.

They are entitled to look for reasonable evidence to support this. However, they cannot make unreasonable demands. So - you need to show as much documentary evidence as you have available. This can be from schools, medical providers, social security (did your parents claim Child Benefit, for example, although they may not have been entitled to), and any other pieces of evidence that support you having been in Britain from birth to 10.

No one piece of evidence will likely prove a claim, nor will the lack of one piece of evidence be a problem, although it may have to be explained why it's not available. So for example, you can't just say that your primary school is closed and abandon the idea of getting school records. You need to go to the local education authority who should be able to tell you where the records are kept, or at least, provide a letter saying that the records have been lost or destroyed. Are you sure your parents have no school papers from that time put away somewhere?

Documents showing your parents residence in the U.K. in that time period are helpful but not entirely persuasive.

If you never had a passport/travel document from your country of citizenship, then you should say so.

Form T cases are fairly unusual, so you are not going to find many others in a similar situation. Although it's a lifetime entitlement, it always is harder to evidence later on. The best time to have made this application was straight after your 10th birthday.

cutmeloose
Newly Registered

Post by cutmeloose » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:55 am

JAJ wrote:
The British Nationality Act gives you an entitlement to register as a British citizen as long as you were born in the U.K. and lived in the U.K. from birth to 10th birthday (in fact the law says absent for less than 90 days each year, but is substantially the same thing).

You need to provide evidence that shows a Home Office case worker, who has never known you before that you meet this requirement, and that you're not, for example, a U.K. born person who left in early childhood and has just returned.

They are entitled to look for reasonable evidence to support this. However, they cannot make unreasonable demands. So - you need to show as much documentary evidence as you have available. This can be from schools, medical providers, social security (did your parents claim Child Benefit, for example, although they may not have been entitled to), and any other pieces of evidence that support you having been in Britain from birth to 10.

No one piece of evidence will likely prove a claim, nor will the lack of one piece of evidence be a problem, although it may have to be explained why it's not available. So for example, you can't just say that your primary school is closed and abandon the idea of getting school records. You need to go to the local education authority who should be able to tell you where the records are kept, or at least, provide a letter saying that the records have been lost or destroyed. Are you sure your parents have no school papers from that time put away somewhere?

Documents showing your parents residence in the U.K. in that time period are helpful but not entirely persuasive.

If you never had a passport/travel document from your country of citizenship, then you should say so.

Form T cases are fairly unusual, so you are not going to find many others in a similar situation. Although it's a lifetime entitlement, it always is harder to evidence later on. The best time to have made this application was straight after your 10th birthday.
Thank you for the help again. I'll go down to my local LEA on Monday morning, as I called them and I was asked to 'call the school' and after saying that it doesn't exist they said that I should try the London Metropolitan Archives who i'll call on Monday also. Strangely enough I have documents from throughout my secondary school. life but none of this will do any good.

I'll be sure to mention the passport issue, as I've never had the need to travel which meant me/my parents not doing anything. I only became aware of my situation a year or so again. Spent the first 18 years thinking that I was British and I was evidently wrong. That's understandable, but I guess sending a few of their documents couldn't hurt.

That explains it! I've failed to come across anyone in a similar situation, but still don't think it should warrant me going through an 'agent' Yeah sadly I was blessed with lackadaisical parents. My two elder siblings were naturalised (?) very young so already have British passports and I was left out in the cold and my younger sibling (10) is likely to suffer the same fate unless I manage to use my case as a deterrent.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:26 pm

cutmeloose wrote: Thank you for the help again. I'll go down to my local LEA on Monday morning, as I called them and I was asked to 'call the school' and after saying that it doesn't exist they said that I should try the London Metropolitan Archives who i'll call on Monday also. Strangely enough I have documents from throughout my secondary school. life but none of this will do any good.
The LEA should have some records, at least at a basic level. If the person at the front desk doesn't know, then demand to speak to a manager. At a minimum, you can make a Subject Access request under the Data Protection Act (I think the fee is GBP10) and then they have 40 days to give you what they have in their records - or tell you in writing that they have nothing.

I'll be sure to mention the passport issue, as I've never had the need to travel which meant me/my parents not doing anything. I only became aware of my situation a year or so again. Spent the first 18 years thinking that I was British and I was evidently wrong. That's understandable, but I guess sending a few of their documents couldn't hurt.

... My two elder siblings were naturalised (?) very young so already have British passports and I was left out in the cold and my younger sibling (10) is likely to suffer the same fate unless I manage to use my case as a deterrent.
Your elder siblings would have been registered, not naturalised, but it is substantially the same thing. Does that mean that your parents got Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in the United Kingdom? It helps you if there is a Home Office file in their name already showing that they have been resident in the United Kingdom. It also helps if the Home Office know that you have siblings who were registered as British, this all helps to show you were probably around at the same time.

Your brother aged 10. If your parents have ILR then if he's also U.K. born he can be registered under section 1(3) of the Act, by form MN1 (you have to be age under 18, so this won't help you). This is much simpler than Form T. And this should be done immediately - if by some chance he got into trouble with the police, this could make him ineligible for British citizenship. Or, if he was born after your parents got ILR, he's already a British citizen.

cutmeloose
Newly Registered

Post by cutmeloose » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:13 pm

JAJ wrote: x
So my LEA claim that they don't keep records for more then seven years which is roughly when I left. I was wondering if I sent my application with what I've got i.e NHS records/vaccinations/the odd letter from school, if the home office deem it to not be sufficient will they reject my application outright or send a letter requesting further information as I quite clearly meet the listed requirements and £631 is a big price for a student!

Also, your point about mentioning my siblings? would it be wise to mention it in a separate cover letter outlining the situation?

EDIT: My parents now have indefinite leave. They got it in 2003 (Feb) and my younger brother was born in 2002 (Dec) so just narrowly missed out on being saved from all this. Will the Home office check things like this, or do I need to explicitly make mentions of my siblings/parents.. I assume that is why they ask for my parents details. It just doesn't make sense how my two elder siblings are 'registered' and I'm not, but heyho.

Also do Form T/MN applications take the same length of time as a typical naturalisation application i.e 3-6 months? as I really want to go travelling in from May/June onwards. Is the NCS service far quicker?

EDIT 2: My secondary school seems to have been forwarded a lot of the primary school related stuff so things are looking up!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:21 pm

cutmeloose wrote:So my LEA claim that they don't keep records for more then seven years which is roughly when I left. I was wondering if I sent my application with what I've got i.e NHS records/vaccinations/the odd letter from school, if the home office deem it to not be sufficient will they reject my application outright or send a letter requesting further information as I quite clearly meet the listed requirements and £631 is a big price for a student!

Also, your point about mentioning my siblings? would it be wise to mention it in a separate cover letter outlining the situation?
Send everything (copies). Include Home Office reference numbers, parents and sibling birth certificates, copies of British registration certificates, etc. Don't assume they will look it up.

As to the rest, you cannot provide what you don't have. Did the LEA confirm in writing that they destroy eveything over 7 years? If yes, include a copy of the letter. If they have refused to give you anything, explain this also and give the Home Office details of the LEA concerned.

As you have already been told, they cannot make unreasonable demands for evidence. If you can show your eligibility on the balance of probabilities, they have to register you.

Write a cover letter to explain your circumstances, siblings, your time in Britain, etc.
EDIT: My parents now have indefinite leave. They got it in 2003 (Feb) and my younger brother was born in 2002 (Dec) so just narrowly missed out on being saved from all this.
Your parents should do an MN1 form for your younger brother immediately.

Also do Form T/MN applications take the same length of time as a typical naturalisation application i.e 3-6 months? as I really want to go travelling in from May/June onwards. Is the NCS service far quicker?
In the past, form T/MN application were given priority. Not sure if that's the case now. Also - not sure if NCS accept form T applications. If not, you have to apply by mail. Use a secure method (not Royal Mail).

EDIT 2: My secondary school seems to have been forwarded a lot of the primary school related stuff so things are looking up!
It's preferable to send copies of everything in case the file gets lost in transit or at the Home Office (has happened before, and they won't make allowance for you).

cutmeloose
Newly Registered

Post by cutmeloose » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:20 am

JAJ wrote:x
How does sending copies work if you apply through the NCS (checked and my NCS do Form T, seems very exploitative but not much choice)

Will the NCS make the copies? I was sure that I read somewhere that the UKBA/Home Office don't accept copies?

Hoping to send it by the end of the month, fingers crossed for a reply in the next 4-5 months!

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:17 am

Applying through the Nationality Checking Service (NCS) wrote: They will ensure that your form is correctly completed, and they will copy your documents and return them to you.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

cutmeloose
Newly Registered

Post by cutmeloose » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:41 pm

JAJ wrote:x
Just wanted to thank you for all your help. I sent my application in early Dec, and it's already been approved pending the ceremony! Looks like my gap year travels will be able to go ahead, provided the passport application doesn't take too long!

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:35 pm

cutmeloose wrote: Just wanted to thank you for all your help. I sent my application in early Dec, and it's already been approved pending the ceremony! Looks like my gap year travels will be able to go ahead, provided the passport application doesn't take too long!
Thanks for the update. Make sure you attend the ceremony as soon as possible as you don't become a British citizen until this occurs and your existing immigration status (or lack thereof) still applies.

They can also cancel the approval if too much time elapses before the ceremony or there's some character issue (alleged or otherwise) that comes to light in the meantime.

You'll get a Certificate of Registration which you'll then need to send off to get a British passport. Keep a copy of the certificate in case it gets lost.

What about your younger brother? Has he been registered as British yet?

cutmeloose
Newly Registered

Post by cutmeloose » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 pm

JAJ wrote: Thanks for the update. Make sure you attend the ceremony as soon as possible as you don't become a British citizen until this occurs and your existing immigration status (or lack thereof) still applies.

They can also cancel the approval if too much time elapses before the ceremony or there's some character issue (alleged or otherwise) that comes to light in the meantime.

You'll get a Certificate of Registration which you'll then need to send off to get a British passport. Keep a copy of the certificate in case it gets lost.

What about your younger brother? Has he been registered as British yet?
Is it normal to have to wait a while for the Local Authority to contact you in regards to the ceremony? I was 'approved' on the 8th January, the invitation letter from the home office was dated on the 10th January but only received on the 16th. I then called my Local Authority, who had one of those auto recorded messages saying that invites are sent out in due course with a list of dates. It's the 18th now, so if it gets to next week Friday, should I pursue the matter further?

My younger brother's application has just been sent, so fingers crossed.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:33 pm

cutmeloose wrote:Is it normal to have to wait a while for the Local Authority to contact you in regards to the ceremony? I was 'approved' on the 8th January, the invitation letter from the home office was dated on the 10th January but only received on the 16th. I then called my Local Authority, who had one of those auto recorded messages saying that invites are sent out in due course with a list of dates. It's the 18th now, so if it gets to next week Friday, should I pursue the matter further?

As far as I am aware, they normally want you to attend a ceremony within 3 months. So you should hear fairly soon about the date. If you don't hear - then definitely follow up. If you can't get to speak to the responsible person at the council, then call your local councillor.

My younger brother's application has just been sent, so fingers crossed.
Should take a month or two to be processed. Let us know how that goes.

AmandaChristian
Newly Registered

Re: British registration Form T supporting documents.

Post by AmandaChristian » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi all, I am 20 years old and I am going through the exact situation as the person who started this thread, everything should be fine its just the supporting docs that I am unsure about. Fortunately my mother has recovered some letters given within the 10 year period 94-04 however not for each of the 10 years. I have also never left the country (as I do not have a passport) which I plan to state in a brief letter amongst my supporting evidence.

I do have class photos of the primary school I used to attend which is in the UK, those are official pictures taken every year with the classmates for every academic year. Do you think this would be appropriate to send? These aren't documents of any kind just pictures which showI attended a primary school in the UK. I also have a few school reports that show my progress throughout the academic term, but again - not for every year

Your help and advice is more than welcome, I just want to get everything right the first time around because the cost is ridiculously high and I wish to avoid any problems.

Thank you!