ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

i overstayed, is it too late to go legal?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

helphelphelp
Newly Registered

i overstayed, is it too late to go legal?

Post by helphelphelp » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:50 am

I am an american citizen and I overstayed in Italy. I realize this is not a supported action on these boards, but I am trying to get legal. I have been accepted by a masters program in Italy, and I am worried that my visa application will be refused if the consulate looks at my passport and figures out I overstayed. Is it too late to try to get legit, and will they ban me right then and there in the Italian consulate's office?

Any experience with this? HELP!

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:24 pm

Are you back in the States? If so, did you experience any problems at immigration when you left Italy? Did you get an entry and an exit stamp on entering and leaving Italy? Any evidence in your passport that might suggest that you overstayed?

helphelphelp
Newly Registered

Post by helphelphelp » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:33 pm

i'm not back in the states yet but i have been back and forth a couple times while overstaying. i'm asking the question with the assumption i make it back without any problems. so the only evidence would be the passport stamps,no black marks or anything. do they scrutinize passports at the visa office?

flyboy
Member of Standing
Switzerland

Post by flyboy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:23 pm

Doubt that they will scrutinise your passport unless of course you do get blacklisted - otherwise i really don't think they would bother with checking entry/exit dates. If you were a passport holder of a 3rd world nation then they'll most probably be scrutinising your passport, but since you're an american doubt you should have any problems, assuming you get out safely without any black marks...

helphelphelp
Newly Registered

Post by helphelphelp » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:28 pm

well obviously everyone who applies for an italian visa at my consulate would have an american passport, no? Anyone have any experience of making the illegal to legal transition?

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:16 am

helphelphelp wrote:well obviously everyone who applies for an italian visa at my consulate would have an american passport, no?
Well, not everyone, surely...