ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused about Indian Visa, PIO/OCI after British passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ukbalaji
Newly Registered

Confused about Indian Visa, PIO/OCI after British passport

Post by ukbalaji » Sun May 09, 2010 5:03 pm

Apologies if it is the wrong forum.

I got naturalized as a British citizen couple of weeks ago, and have now applied for a British passport. My British passport should hopefully arrive in the next few weeks, after which I guess I am supposed to surrender my Indian passport. I am not clear on the proper sequence of steps to be followed : getting Indian visa / surrender old Indian passport / obtaining PIO/OCI card.

Right now I cannot travel to India (legally) since I am awaiting my British passport and automatically lost my Indian citizenship. But I wish to get my papers organized soon, so that I can travel to India at short notice if necessary. I would like to get the OCI card, but I am not sure how long it is taking these days to get it at the Indian embassy in London. If it takes 3 months, I am not sure I want to stay that long without being able to travel to India if necessary. Altho I dont have any immediate travel plans, I want to keep the travel option open.

My friend in the US was advising me to go ahead and get the PIO card soon (which apparently takes only 1 week in the US), and then apply for the OCI card, the advantage being that I will not need to hand over my passport to the Indian embassy until the very end of the OCI application process. Not sure if this is true, tho'. Is this a good idea ?

By the way, will I still need an Indian visa stamp even if I get the PIO / OCI card ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 09, 2010 7:31 pm

1. Surrender Indian passport
2. Apply for Indian visa (if need to travel at short notice) and/or apply for OCI / PIO card.

regards

keshgrover
Member of Standing

Re: Confused about Indian Visa, PIO/OCI after British passpo

Post by keshgrover » Sun May 09, 2010 7:32 pm

ukbalaji wrote:Apologies if it is the wrong forum.

I got naturalized as a British citizen couple of weeks ago, and have now applied for a British passport. My British passport should hopefully arrive in the next few weeks, after which I guess I am supposed to surrender my Indian passport. I am not clear on the proper sequence of steps to be followed : getting Indian visa / surrender old Indian passport / obtaining PIO/OCI card.

Right now I cannot travel to India (legally) since I am awaiting my British passport and automatically lost my Indian citizenship. But I wish to get my papers organized soon, so that I can travel to India at short notice if necessary. I would like to get the OCI card, but I am not sure how long it is taking these days to get it at the Indian embassy in London. If it takes 3 months, I am not sure I want to stay that long without being able to travel to India if necessary. Altho I dont have any immediate travel plans, I want to keep the travel option open.

My friend in the US was advising me to go ahead and get the PIO card soon (which apparently takes only 1 week in the US), and then apply for the OCI card, the advantage being that I will not need to hand over my passport to the Indian embassy until the very end of the OCI application process. Not sure if this is true, tho'. Is this a good idea ?

By the way, will I still need an Indian visa stamp even if I get the PIO / OCI card ?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers
Congratulations. You need to surrender your Indian passport first at HCI london. Which is whole one day process. You go back after couple of days and waste another day to collect your surrender certificate. Once you done with this either you can apply for a Indian visa or OCI card. Visa's are dealt by VFS these days at different locations. I applied for 5 years long visa and costed my £180 all together. Dont forget that you will also be ripped off with a passport surrender fee of £90 when you surrender your passport.

That's what my experience was with my application.
KESH

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 09, 2010 7:37 pm

ukbalaji wrote:By the way, will I still need an Indian visa stamp even if I get the PIO / OCI card ?
No.

regards

ukbalaji
Newly Registered

Post by ukbalaji » Mon May 10, 2010 9:27 am

Thanks for the response, everyone.

Any idea how long the PIO / OCI card process takes these days ? That might help me make a decision.

If I want peace of mind, there doesnt seem to be much difference cost-wise. A PIO card (£215) followed by OCI (£18) would cost a total of £233. A 6-month "entry visa" (http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/visa-fees.aspx) (£55) followed by OCI (£165) would set me back £220. The latter might be preferable if I can get the visa in a day.

How does it work tho', if one has obtained a visa, and then their OCI application is being processed, but they need to travel urgently to India ? Will the consulate return the passport quickly so the person can travel ? where is the passport held ? Is it in the U.K or in Delhi ? do they keep it for the entire duration of the OCI application process ? does it make a difference if one already has a PIO card ? As I mentioned above, my friend was suggesting that if you apply for an OCI after getting the PIO, then you hand over your passport only at the last step of the OCI application process, apparently. I am not sure where to verify this, tho'.

Cheers.

geriatrix

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 10, 2010 10:18 am

ukbalaji wrote:Any idea how long the PIO / OCI card process takes these days ? That might help me make a decision.
Reading this topic should give you an idea on timelines.
ukbalaji wrote:The latter might be preferable if I can get the visa in a day.
One day!! Remember you are dealing with an Indian govt. dept.
ukbalaji wrote:How does it work tho', if one has obtained a visa, and then their OCI application is being processed, but they need to travel urgently to India ? Will the consulate return the passport quickly so the person can travel ? where is the passport held ? Is it in the U.K or in Delhi ? do they keep it for the entire duration of the OCI application process ? does it make a difference if one already has a PIO card ? As I mentioned above, my friend was suggesting that if you apply for an OCI after getting the PIO, then you hand over your passport only at the last step of the OCI application process, apparently. I am not sure where to verify this, tho'.
Reading this and this should help you understand the application process.

regards

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Mon May 10, 2010 4:35 pm

ukbalaji wrote:Thanks for the response, everyone.

Any idea how long the PIO / OCI card process takes these days ? That might help me make a decision.

If I want peace of mind, there doesnt seem to be much difference cost-wise. A PIO card (£215) followed by OCI (£18) would cost a total of £233. A 6-month "entry visa" (http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/visa-fees.aspx) (£55) followed by OCI (£165) would set me back £220. The latter might be preferable if I can get the visa in a day.

How does it work tho', if one has obtained a visa, and then their OCI application is being processed, but they need to travel urgently to India ? Will the consulate return the passport quickly so the person can travel ? where is the passport held ? Is it in the U.K or in Delhi ? do they keep it for the entire duration of the OCI application process ? does it make a difference if one already has a PIO card ? As I mentioned above, my friend was suggesting that if you apply for an OCI after getting the PIO, then you hand over your passport only at the last step of the OCI application process, apparently. I am not sure where to verify this, tho'.

Cheers.
You have to surrender you Indian passport to either HCI London or one of the Consulate generals depending on which county you live in.
When you go to surrender your passport, you have to pay £90 pounds. Do not forget to submit a self addressed special delivery envelope. They will post you the surrender certificate and this will save you making another trip just to collect the surrender certificate.
Now whenever you apply for Indian visa, you will have to submit a photocopy of this surrender certificate.

To apply for OCI the procedure is first to apply online, then take that printout and other documents to HCI. Please note, that they do not retain any originals documents at all. So if you have to travel, you can apply for OCI, then obtain a visit visa to INDIA, or anywhere else in the world for that matter, while the OCI process goes on, and this takes about 12 weeks.

Have a read here http://hcilondon.in/oci.php

llNicell

Post by llNicell » Mon May 10, 2010 5:37 pm

ukbalaji wrote:Thanks for the response, everyone.

Cheers.
I had applied for OCI and it took 10 weeks to finally get into our hands. Our application was without any issue.
I had applied for OCI and meantime traveled to India on tourist visa.
You don't need to submit any original documents with OCI application and you have to keep your British passport with you until your OCI is ready for collection.
You will be required to surrender your Indian passport in any case.

ukbalaji
Newly Registered

Ta

Post by ukbalaji » Tue May 11, 2010 9:30 am

Thanks again to everyone for the replies. Much appreciated.

Regards

ukbalaji
Newly Registered

Post by ukbalaji » Wed May 26, 2010 12:54 pm

While surrending the Indian passport (that has become invalid), do I also need to surrender the older (cancelled) Indian passport(s) ? Or, do I need to only surrender the last one ?

Also, I suppose I dont need to make an appointment to surrender the passport ? is it just walk-in, assuming I have all the necessary materials ? I hope I havent missed anything in the list of items below.

*) £90 cash
*) Self addressed special delivery envelope
*) As per http://hcilondon.in/applicationform.pdf, below items
*) photocopy of British passport (all pages)
*) Photocopy of last Indian passport (I will make copies of all pages just in case)
*) The actual Indian passport (last one)
*) copy of British naturalization certificate.
*) wondering if I should also carry my previous cancelled Indian passports

Cheers.

pushpanathan
Newly Registered

timeline for PIO

Post by pushpanathan » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:46 pm

I see a link to obtain the timeline for processing a PIO, but couldn't get the information there. Could someone please advise approximate time frame as i have a similar requirement as ukbalaji. thanks

vid_k
Newly Registered

Surrendering Indian Passport & OCI Card

Post by vid_k » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Hello,

Got the British Passport recently and looking at the options to surrender the Indian Passport and apply for an OCI card.

I know not to surrender the Indian passport is illegal - but is this a punishable offence?

Call me cheeky - but can we not always travel on our Indian passport when travelling to India and use the British passport when travelling to anywhere else.

I mean - who is to know whether citizen of India residing outside India has a passport from another country.

Thanks

Vid

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:11 am

It is a punishable offence to travel on an Indian passport after acquiring Foreign citizenship. I think it is about £145 fine for each time you travel.

vid_k
Newly Registered

Surrendering Indian Passport & OCI Card

Post by vid_k » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:23 am

But my question is how would anyone know that we have 2 passports?

ukmalayalee
Newly Registered

Post by ukmalayalee » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:15 pm

Can you travel with PIO after Dec 31? This is what Indian High Commission & India Govt said
http://x

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:21 pm

ukmalayalee wrote:Can you travel with PIO after Dec 31? This is what Indian High Commission & India Govt said
http://x
Why are you
  • a) resurrecting 4 year old topic :?: :!:
    b) spamming forum with quasi promotional links :?:
:arrow: Suggest read Board T&Cs to ensure your membership is a long and happy one.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.