ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First British Passport after Naturalisation - annoyed!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

sakura83
Newly Registered

First British Passport after Naturalisation - annoyed!

Post by sakura83 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:59 pm

Two weeks ago I sent off my application for my first British Passport having recently been naturalised as a British Citizen through marriage.

I carefully checked the guidance notes which said the parents' and grandparents' details weren't required in this instance so I didn't fill them in.

A week later I received a letter saying they need my parents' details and a new form for me to fill in. I stupidly read the letter wrong and only filled in the parents' details and signed in the declaration section when what they actually wanted me to do was fill in the whole form. I sent a covering letter which said that although I was giving my parents details I didn't feel that these were required as directed in the guidance notes.

Another week later I receive another letter telling me I need to fill in the entire form including getting the referee to sign again which is such a hassle as I've recently moved to Bristol and everyone I've known for more than two years and is not related to me by marriage lives in London. They've completely ignored my letter and I can't understand why they're convinced they need my parents' details!

I now have to fill in a whole new form, post it to London to get my poor friend to sign it (again!) and I'm two weeks down the line and no closer to getting a British passport all because they can't follow their own guidance notes :(

Just a bit of a rant really as I'm slightly annoyed with the whole process

tand
Newly Registered

Post by tand » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:52 pm

You are right but not sure why they are asking these details even it clearly says in guidance notes that parents / grand parents not require.

moderators / seniors, can you give any idea about it.

thanks

sakura83
Newly Registered

Post by sakura83 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:23 pm

I won't be able to fill in all the details either. Eg. they have my passport and I don't know the passport number! They also have the citizenship certificate

Some advice from senior members would be much appreciated.

sakura83
Newly Registered

Post by sakura83 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:20 am

I phoned the passport office today who told me the booklet is wrong and ALL new adult applications need to fill in the parents' details sections.

They've advised me to make a complaint about the contents of the booklet.

They also said I could leave my passport details and naturalisation certificate details blank as I don't have access to the information.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Post by jms_uk » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:01 am

Booklet might be wrong, but the form itself clearly asks for this information.

Also, in future; before sending your [any] valuable documents in the post [passport et al] make sure you have photocopies of them, as you might need them. For example, if you need to report lost passport, you'll need to know the number.

bobobo

Post by bobobo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:04 am

The parents details are required to be filled in but Grandparents section could be left blank, the IPS need this information to check " if you unknowingly qualify for a passport anyways and also for security checks"
sakura83 wrote:I won't be able to fill in all the details either. Eg. they have my passport and I don't know the passport number! They also have the citizenship certificate

Some advice from senior members would be much appreciated.

sakura83
Newly Registered

Post by sakura83 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:44 pm

Thanks for all the help everyone. I was a bit hasty sending the form off and wish I'd filled in parents details from the start. I've filled the form in again but don't know my parents' marriage date. Will this be a problem?
I'll remember to take copies of my documents in the future too!

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:18 pm

I have always understood that for naturalised citizens this is not required. This is clearly something that has been very recently brought in as I applied in end September and didn't fill in the parents/grandparents details. I received my passport about 24 days after application through PO Check & Send.

sato
Newly Registered

Post by sato » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:05 pm

@sakura83
For just £8.75 (including special delivery) you could have used 'Check & Send' service. The Post Office check the whole application is filled out correctly. :o