ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

"Surrender of the Indian passport" guidance notes

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

lastlap
Newly Registered

"Surrender of the Indian passport" guidance notes

Post by lastlap » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:40 pm

Some tips while filling up the ‘Renunciation/Surrender of the Indian passport’ form.

Hopefully, this post may help serve as a guide for anyone filling up this form in the future.

1. 'Self attested photocopy of Indian passport (Used Pages)'.

(a) 'Self-Attested copies' refer to all the documents signed by the applicant itself. The 'Used Pages' refer to all pages, inclusive of the BIO page, which provide any visa stamps and/or observation pages. Unused pages of the passport are not to be provided.

(b) If a person has two passports (one new and one old/expired one), please note that the photocopies should be for the last Indian passport you held (i.e. the new/latest Indian passport), even though you submit both the Indian passports.

2. The application form (downloaded from the internet) states:

(a) Name
(b) Name (As per the Indian passport)

Please note that you need mention your name in the following order: First name, Middle name followed by the Surname in the first field on the form. However in the second field you need to mention your name as per the Indian passport (i.e. the Surname followed by your given Name).

3. Under the British/passport details, under the 'place of issue', just write down the location where it was issued e.g. London.

4. Under the 'permanent address' column, since it is not clear in the form whether the permanent address as per the surrendered Indian passport or the permanent address as per the recently acquired British passport, the permanent address referred to in the form corresponds to the permanent address as per the British passport i.e. you need to mention the UK permanent address or the UK address where you are currently staying.

5. While submitting the form, photocopies accompanying the form can be submitted in black and white.

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:48 pm

Thanks, this is very useful. I did not even think about writing surname first in the 2nd field.

rentmeda

Post by rentmeda » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:49 pm

PG1983 wrote:Thanks, this is very useful. I did not even think about writing surname first in the 2nd field.
Also see the link below:

http://ticklingtigers.wordpress.com/

Gives all information for surrender and OCI.

t1seeker

Post by t1seeker » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:56 pm

PG1983 wrote:Thanks, this is very useful. I did not even think about writing surname first in the 2nd field.
I just wrote my name normally ie FIRST NAME LAST NAME

No issues, got my SC in 2 days :-)

They ask your name twice but it is relevant only if your British pp is in a different name than your Indian pp eg married name in British pp but maiden name in Indian pp. Though your SC will be issued in the name that is on your Indian pp but you should put your current name in NAME field.

Hope this helps.

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:58 pm

I applied for SC on 17/10 by post and received it on 27/10. I don't think the name field makes a difference from what you're saying. Its just Indian bureaucracy which likes to complicate things as much as humanly possible :-) On to the OCI application now.

t1seeker

Post by t1seeker » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:21 pm

PG1983 wrote:I applied for SC on 17/10 by post and received it on 27/10. I don't think the name field makes a difference from what you're saying. Its just Indian bureaucracy which likes to complicate things as much as humanly possible :-) On to the OCI application now.
Couldn't agree more!

desiworld
Newly Registered

Indian Passport Surrender form

Post by desiworld » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:55 pm

Can anyone please help.

In the Indian passport Surrender form,
There is field for Father's name and next row for Spouse Name.
Do I need to write Mother's name (Spouse of Father?) or my Spouse?

Please help.
Thanks

t1seeker

Re: Indian Passport Surrender form

Post by t1seeker » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:15 pm

desiworld wrote:Can anyone please help.

In the Indian passport Surrender form,
There is field for Father's name and next row for Spouse Name.
Do I need to write Mother's name (Spouse of Father?) or my Spouse?

Please help.
Thanks
Look at the inside of the back cover of your passport ...

gentlejuke

Post by gentlejuke » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:52 pm

Form asks for Spouse Name'
I assume it is Applicants spouse name?

Tier1toILR

Post by Tier1toILR » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi,

Could you please confirm if it is a spouse's name or mother's name in above field?

Since I'm applying for my 1.5 year son, I believe it should be kept "NA"?

Thanks.

push

Post by push » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:14 pm

Tier1toILR wrote:Hi,

Could you please confirm if it is a spouse's name or mother's name in above field?

Since I'm applying for my 1.5 year son, I believe it should be kept "NA"?

Thanks.
if it says Spouse's name then provide that. Why should you even be thinking of providing mother's name?
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

Tier1toILR

Post by Tier1toILR » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Logically makes perfect sense, but you never know what you might be sent back for after wasting 3-4 hrs in the queue.

But thanks for your response will go with "NA" in this case.

Cheers.

pgaitonde
Member of Standing

Re: "Surrender of the Indian passport" guidance no

Post by pgaitonde » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:42 am

lastlap wrote:Some tips while filling up the ‘Renunciation/Surrender of the Indian passport’ form.

Hopefully, this post may help serve as a guide for anyone filling up this form in the future.

1. 'Self attested photocopy of Indian passport (Used Pages)'.

(a) 'Self-Attested copies' refer to all the documents signed by the applicant itself. The 'Used Pages' refer to all pages, inclusive of the BIO page, which provide any visa stamps and/or observation pages. Unused pages of the passport are not to be provided.

(b) If a person has two passports (one new and one old/expired one), please note that the photocopies should be for the last Indian passport you held (i.e. the new/latest Indian passport), even though you submit both the Indian passports.

2. The application form (downloaded from the internet) states:

(a) Name
(b) Name (As per the Indian passport)

Please note that you need mention your name in the following order: First name, Middle name followed by the Surname in the first field on the form. However in the second field you need to mention your name as per the Indian passport (i.e. the Surname followed by your given Name).

3. Under the British/passport details, under the 'place of issue', just write down the location where it was issued e.g. London.

4. Under the 'permanent address' column, since it is not clear in the form whether the permanent address as per the surrendered Indian passport or the permanent address as per the recently acquired British passport, the permanent address referred to in the form corresponds to the permanent address as per the British passport i.e. you need to mention the UK permanent address or the UK address where you are currently staying.

5. While submitting the form, photocopies accompanying the form can be submitted in black and white.
I am filling my daughters surrender certificate form so what should i mention in the name field. Should i mention my daughters name or my name?

Also the permanent address states City and Postcode? Do i need to mention full address or just city?

amthekkel
Newly Registered

Re: "Surrender of the Indian passport" guidance notes

Post by amthekkel » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:40 am

Hello,

I am planning on applying for surrender certificate.
Can someone please confirm if as part of required documents for point 2 (Photocopy of last/current Indian Passport (all Pages) ), does that mean :

a) Send photocopy of all pages regardless of whether they are blank or have stamps on them . OR

b) as per the original post, only send the pages that have visa stamps/stickers or information printed on them .

Thanks

Ralf123
Newly Registered

Post by Ralf123 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi All,

I need to apply for Surrender Certificate, but unfortunately I lost my old Indian passport(no more valid) and valid one is there.

My question is will it be fine with existing Indian passport for applying Surrender certificate or Do I need the lost one too ?

Thanks in advance to all...

Regards,
Ralf

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:10 pm

Ralf123 wrote:Hi All,

I need to apply for Surrender Certificate, but unfortunately I lost my old Indian passport(no more valid) and valid one is there.

My question is will it be fine with existing Indian passport for applying Surrender certificate or Do I need the lost one too ?

Thanks in advance to all...

Regards,
Ralf
You just need to surrender the current valid passport.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:11 pm

amthekkel wrote:Hello,

I am planning on applying for surrender certificate.
Can someone please confirm if as part of required documents for point 2 (Photocopy of last/current Indian Passport (all Pages) ), does that mean :

a) Send photocopy of all pages regardless of whether they are blank or have stamps on them . OR

b) as per the original post, only send the pages that have visa stamps/stickers or information printed on them .

Thanks
A. all pages.

smoothraj

Post by smoothraj » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:33 pm

URGENT Help:

My wife is applying to surrender her Indian Passport which is in her maiden name tomorrow MORNING. Her UK passport (acquired last week) has new name with my surname.

While first line in the application form is straightforward, where I have filled in her new name (as per British passport), I am unsure about signatures-

- old signature (indian passport) vs new signature (UK passport).

Should she use her old signature or new signature (OR BOTH? to sign all relevant sections i.e. application/declaration form & self attestation signature on photocopies?

Thanks.

chiku1980

Post by chiku1980 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:16 am

I am planning to submit my application for a surrender certificate.

I am planning to submit self address envelopes for the return of the documents.

Can someone advise whether we need to submit to envelopes or just 1 i.e. does the surrender certificate and the passport come back in a single envelope or they come in 2 different envelopes?

Thanks!

FayEng

Post by FayEng » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:20 pm

Hi Chiku 1980

Just give 1 A4 size special delivery envelope available in the post office.

That should be ok

Fay

vishpb35

Post by vishpb35 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:51 pm

chiku1980 wrote:I am planning to submit my application for a surrender certificate.

Can someone advise whether we need to submit to envelopes or just 1 i.e. does the surrender certificate and the passport come back in a single envelope or they come in 2 different envelopes?

Thanks!
As fayeEng mentioned, you need 1 A4 sized prepaid "self addressed" envelope(buy upto 500gms) as cut passport and certificate comes in that same envelope, note down special delivery number for ur ref.

Although passport weighs less than 100gms, its ur choice to buy upto 100 or 500gms

chiku1980

Post by chiku1980 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:06 pm

Thanks fayend and vishpb

rmukherjee

Post by rmukherjee » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:22 am

vishpb35 wrote:
chiku1980 wrote:I am planning to submit my application for a surrender certificate.

Thanks!
As fayeEng mentioned, you need 1 A4 sized prepaid "self addressed" envelope(buy upto 500gms) as cut passport and certificate comes in that same envelope, note down special delivery number for ur ref.

Although passport weighs less than 100gms, its ur choice to buy upto 100 or 500gms
I paid for upto 500 grams because I had a jumbo passport and didn't want to risk it being held up by Royal Mail. Normal passports + 1 sheet of paper are well under 100 grams.

However one tip I'd like to share is, VFS asks you to send an A4 Special Delivery self-addressed envelope. They then send the A4-sized Surrender Certificate, unfolded, inside this -- leading to the certificate getting "crumpled" in the post. This happened to my child's surrender certificate a couple of years ago and happened to us as well in 2016. This time my wife's surrender certificate actually had a couple of minor tears towards the bottom of the paper (it was thicker paper than usual too).

For my OCI what I plan to do is check if their courier can deliver using a padded / board-backed envelope, or if we can submit a self-addressed padded envelope with a special delivery stamp and a post-office affixed barcode. I'll have to speak with the Post Office to find out if that's even possible.