ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrender form / OCI --> change of name

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

t1seeker

Surrender form / OCI --> change of name

Post by t1seeker » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi

My wife has her Indian passport in her Maiden name. When we applied for naturalisation we applied in her married name so her naturalisation certificate / UK passport is in her married name.

Now my question is when we apply for surrender of Indian passport and ultimately OCI it needs to be in her married name But as far as HCI is concerned the Indian passport is in a "different" name than the British passport.

Has anyone been in such a situation before and please advise what should I do to make sure that there are no errors. Additional documents / covering letter etc ?

Many thanks

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:19 pm

You need to call and ask Indian consultate, you may need to have a formal change of name letter to be sent along with surrender of Indian PP.

t1seeker

Post by t1seeker » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:11 am

gidoc wrote:You need to call and ask Indian consultate, you may need to have a formal change of name letter to be sent along with surrender of Indian PP.
Thank you, will do that.

geek1981

Post by geek1981 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi t1seeker,

I have the same issue , how did you get it sorted at the end?

Thanks!

t1seeker

Post by t1seeker » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:06 am

geek1981 wrote:Hi t1seeker,

I have the same issue , how did you get it sorted at the end?

Thanks!
1) Surrender certi -> They only care about the name in the Indian pp and SC will be issued in that name only as it pertains to surrender of the Indian passport.

2) OCI application -> Your wife needs to apply for her OCI in new name and submit a self attested copy of the marriage certificate + an explanatory covering letter. I submitted OCI in person this week and the guy at the counter said this should be sufficient. Lets see ..

Basically

Surrender certificate --> as per your Indian passport
OCI --> as per your foreign passport
Marriage certificate --> to establish the link between the two names

Hope that helps

geek1981

Post by geek1981 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:18 am

thanks for your response! Do you mind PM me the template you used for explanatory covering letter?
My wife has her Indian passport in her Maiden name. When we applied for naturalisation we applied in her married name so her naturalisation certificate / UK passport is in her married name.
Can you also advise what did you do here as well? Did you just send the marriage certificate with new surname on the AN application?

cheers mate!

dba_kkk

Post by dba_kkk » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:43 am

Hi t1seeker,

I am in a similar situation as you were few years ago

can you give me an example what did you fill in in the naturalization application for for the questions

1.5 and 1.6 for your wife

correct me if i am wrong

at the moment my wife name on the indian passport is

firstname maiden surname

so for

1.5 married surname

1.6 firstname maiden surname

please reply asap as i am attending NCS in 3 days time

cheers

dba_kkk