ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Surrender certificate + OCI

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

PG1983

Surrender certificate + OCI

Post by PG1983 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:23 am

Hi All,

I've just received my British passport and I intend to apply for OCI now and have a few questions:

1. Is there any way that I can apply for surrender certificate and OCI at the same time? The reason I'm asking is that I may need to travel to India on short notice due to a family issue.
If not then I intend to apply for SC by post as I can't travel to one of the VFS offices due to work.

2. Do they only accept postal orders/bank drafts for payment or can I pay by credit card? According to the VFS website you can pay by credit/debit card but there is no form anywhere.

http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/surrender_fees.html

3. What is the fees? On the VFS website it mentions £113.24 as the fees. Is this correct?

4. Do I need to send all my old passports or only the most recent Indian passport?

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:58 pm

>> Is there any way that I can apply for surrender certificate and OCI at the same time? The reason I'm asking is that I may need to travel to India on short notice due to a family issue>>

Usually not possible but worth a try, however you will need to go personally to VFS

>>If not then I intend to apply for SC by post as I can't travel to one of the VFS offices due to work.>>

Postal route takes about 2 month

>>Do I need to send all my old passports or only the most recent Indian passport?>>

The valid passport needs surrendering

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:23 am

Is that usual or is it just because it is a busy period? 2 months seems to be a long time!

And can anyone help with the fees and method of payment?

Thanks

rentmeda

Post by rentmeda » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:47 am

PG1983 wrote:Is that usual or is it just because it is a busy period? 2 months seems to be a long time!

And can anyone help with the fees and method of payment?

Thanks
Surrender certificate should not take more than a week either for postal/VFS
OCI is about 6 weeks from what I heard.

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:54 pm

I have got a reply back from VFS re my query.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your email.

Please note that applicants cannot apply for a surrender certificate and OCI application at the same time. However, they need to first obtain the Surrender Certificate as surrender certificate is a mandatory document required while applying for OCI.

You can send your surrender of Indian passport application by post to our centralized postal visa application centre in Hayes (http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/surrender_pos ... ation.html). Postal applications need a minimum of 10 working days to be processed. This does not include the period they are in transit to and from the High Commission or the Consulate General.

Please note that payments for surrender of Indian passport application can be made by any of the following options:

>> Cash accepted at the India Visa Application Centre excluding Cardiff, Glasgow & Manchester application centres.

>> Applicants can also make payments via bank drafts or postal orders at the visa application centres favouring "VF Services UK Ltd”

>> Credit cards & Debit Card - Visa Electron (UK & Non UK issued, Visa Debit (UK issued), Maestro (UK & Non UK issued) and Solo are also accepted at the visa application centres.

Mode of Payment for Postal Applications
Kindly include a postal order as the mode of payment favouring "VF Services UK Ltd" while applying through Royal Mail. Do not send cash or credit card details along with your application via post. If a family or a group is applying together, they can pay the fees and the service charges for all the members by one draft or postal order.

PAYMENT BY CHEQUE

According to the rules of the High commission, an applicant cannot make his/her payment by cheque.

>> Fee for surrender of passport/ renunciation of Citizenship (for applicants who acquire foreign citizenship with effect from 1.6.2010) is £113.24. For information on fees kindly refer to the following link: http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/surrender_fees.html

>> Please note that you only need to submit your Original Indian Passport (Last/Valid Indian passport at the time of Naturalization). For information on documents required kindly refer to the following link: http://in.vfsglobal.co.uk/surrender_checklist.html

gidoc

Post by gidoc » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:42 pm

This info is from the website, so you would have looekd at it anyway.

SC takes 7-10 days, OCI will take about 8 wks, on postal application. This is standard. If you apply in person this decreases by2-4 wks as the maximum delay is in registering.

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:27 pm

I have received my SC now. It took exactly 10 days from application. Now my question is regarding OCI application, is the SC enough to establish Indian origin or do I need to submit photocopy of the cancelled Indian passport? Here is my list of douments with my postal application:

1. Application Form (with 1 photo)
2. Copy of photo page of British passport
3. Copy of naturalization certificate
4. Copy of Surrender certificate
5. Postal order for £175

manoj123

Post by manoj123 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:48 am

I submitted SC and no passport photocopies.

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:02 am

Thanks that's what I'm going to do.

jasonin
Newly Registered

Post by jasonin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:05 pm

PG1983 wrote:I have received my SC now. It took exactly 10 days from application. Now my question is regarding OCI application, is the SC enough to establish Indian origin or do I need to submit photocopy of the cancelled Indian passport? Here is my list of douments with my postal application:

1. Application Form (with 1 photo)
2. Copy of photo page of British passport
3. Copy of naturalization certificate
4. Copy of Surrender certificate
5. Postal order for £175

You do not need to submit passport copies. The surrender certificate is enough. If you were born in India you will need to submit a birth certificate from an Indian Muncipality/Village Panchayat. There is another thread under this section for OCI. Visit it, it is very helpful.

t1seeker

Post by t1seeker » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:29 pm

jasonin wrote:
You do not need to submit passport copies. The surrender certificate is enough. If you were born in India you will need to submit a birth certificate from an Indian Muncipality/Village Panchayat.
Are you sure that a birth certificate is needed. I would have thought the Indian passport and consequently the SC is a proof of Indian origin as well a proof of date of birth. Also when I submitted my OCI application the guy at the counter didn't ask for it.

jsr2016
Newly Registered

Re: Surrender certificate + OCI

Post by jsr2016 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:38 pm

Hi
Id like to know if i need to surrender my Indian passport in uk, do i need to have a British passport n Oci?

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:01 pm

Once you have acquired citizenship (ie naturalization certificate) you can surrender your Indian passport

jsr2016
Newly Registered

Post by jsr2016 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:02 pm

Hi
Thanks for your reply. But the form ask for copy of British passport n also for Oci registration number

Hence not too sure

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:26 pm

PG1983 wrote:Once you have acquired citizenship (ie naturalization certificate) you can surrender your Indian passport
Incorrect.

Surrender of Indian passport requires you to have a British passport. Naturalisation certificate is not sufficient. However, OCI itself requires Surrender Certificate.

So, the order of documents is
Naturalisation certificate > British passport > Surrender of Indian passport Certificate > OCI.

As the surrender certificate comes before OCI, it does not ask for OCI number.

Click here for the surrender form.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:09 am

jsr2016 wrote:Hi
Thanks for your reply. But the form ask for copy of British passport n also for Oci registration number

Hence not too sure
OCI number is the File number on the last page of the Indian passport
Last page - last row

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:24 am

saanju9 wrote:OCI number is the File number on the last page of the Indian passport
Last page - last row
Firstly that is incorrect. An Indian passport holder (who should also be an Indian citizen) can not simultaneously hold OCI.

Secondly, where in the form, which I have linked to, does it ask for any details on OCI?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

FayEng

Post by FayEng » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:51 am

Hi

When you book appoint to Surrender the Indian Passport . The forms asks you enter OCI registration number. But if you read the notes below it clearly states that you should enter Passport Number in this column for Surrender of Passport

Hope this has cleared the confusion

Fay

jsr2016
Newly Registered

Post by jsr2016 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:10 pm

Thanks Fay but cannot see where it is mentioned.. To use passport number.. And is it Indian passport number.

vishpb35

Post by vishpb35 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:22 pm

jsr2016 wrote:Thanks Fay but cannot see where it is mentioned.. To use passport number.. And is it Indian passport number.
It clearly says that "For applicants applying for Passport or Consular Services, please enter your passport/identity document number in the field ‘OCI Registration Number’."

Pls mention your indian passport number in oci field.

chiku1980

Post by chiku1980 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:24 pm

When applying for the OCI if we have surrender certificate plus the surrendered passport is it necessary to submit any additional proof of indian origin such as birth certificate, domicile certificate etc? Or should the surrender certificate/old passport suffice?

theaviator380

Post by theaviator380 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:50 pm

chiku1980 wrote:When applying for the OCI if we have surrender certificate plus the surrendered passport is it necessary to submit any additional proof of indian origin such as birth certificate, domicile certificate etc? Or should the surrender certificate/old passport suffice?

No. AFAIK, don't need all that...surrender cert, naturalization cert, new passport, old passport, photos are enough.

According to great Indian system, out birth cert always stays with school? which is pathetic...so I guess majority of Indian people won't have their birth certs any way? correct me if I am wrong.

chiku1980

Post by chiku1980 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:30 am

Thanks.

Can anyone who has applied for OCI confirm if the cancelled indian passport is required to be submitted along with the OCI application or just the surrender certificate is enough?

The question is since we now need to upload documents - whether I need to upload a single document with the surrender certificate and cancelled Indian passport for the proof of Indian origin or whether I can just upload the surrender certificate [and cancelled Indian passport is not required]?

PG1983

Post by PG1983 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:49 pm

Just the surrender certificate should be sufficient.

londumpster
Newly Registered

Post by londumpster » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:50 am

Can someone who has applied for OCI recently in London confirm that Domicile certificate is not required for the application. The website is so confusing. Any other details, that I need to be aware of?

Thanks for your time.