ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Pls help _Life in the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Shonna
Newly Registered

Pls help _Life in the UK

Post by Shonna » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:53 am

Hi,

I am in my fourth year on tier-2 (General) and my visa will be renewed in December 2012 for final year before applying for ILR in September 2013.

Can I give Life in the UK test now (i.e. before applying for visa renewal) or I need to wait to get my visas renewed first?

Also, any idea if taking Life in the UK test early has any effect on visa renewals?!

And the last thing, I heard there might be some changes in he test. So will I have to re-appear if the changes are made to the test before I apply for ILR?

I will appreciate any help in this matter.

Many Thanks

Shonna
Last edited by Shonna on Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:01 am

There is no expiry of LiUK test, you can take it whenever you feel like. I took my test 14 months before applying for my ILR.

Shonna
Newly Registered

Post by Shonna » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:01 pm

linkers wrote:There is no expiry of LiUK test, you can take it whenever you feel like. I took my test 14 months before applying for my ILR.
Thanks for your prompt reply.
And the last thing, I heard there might be some changes in he test. So will I have to re-appear if the changes are made to the test before I apply for ILR? ANy ideas on this pls?

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:18 pm

My advice would be to hang on till its a couple of months before your ILR is due. This is what I did, LIUK test is a really simple test and you wont need much time to prepare and clear, why the complication?
Challenges make life worth it!

linkers
Respected Guru

Post by linkers » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:22 pm

There has been no expiry since the test was launched I think in 2007 but I have also heard about the changes. There are also rumours that there would be a transitional period for a certain time to accommodate the people who have already passed the test.

As InUkOnHsmp, I would also suggest that there is no harm in delaying it and taking it couple of months before your ILR as it's a very easy exam and most people (especially people on economic routes) pass it in first attempt.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:27 pm

InUkOnHsmp wrote:My advice would be to hang on till its a couple of months before your ILR is due. This is what I did, LIUK test is a really simple test and you wont need much time to prepare and clear, why the complication?
I would advice the exact opposite - especially if you don't like history. The tests are valid for life and are due to become much more complex then they are at the moment (the test is indeed very easy to pass). Read this BBC report on some of the proposed changes. While these changes have not been implemented yet, they can come into force any minute now. Read this interesting warning. However, I agree with linkers, there must be a transition period, that is technically unavoidable. I would just not count on it that it is a particularly long period. I see no valid reason to procrastinate something like this test, especially given the circumstances.

sateeshiiitb
Newly Registered

Mistyped name in LIUK Notification letter

Post by sateeshiiitb » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:54 pm

Hi,

While registering my details in LIUK test I mistyped my surname (a letter missing). Unfortunately, I only managed to notice it while taking the test and I notified about it to the test supervisor. He said that he would be leaving a note with the electronic results to the Home Office and during my application the case worker should be able to understand it. I was wondering about the practicality of this as case worker has every reason to get picky (by book) and reject the application. To add to the frustration, we only managed to secure an appointment for 21st december (friday) just before christmas after which may be nothing happens (in case they highlight an issue and I should act on it) until new year and on 3rd jan my visa expires.

I can give the test again just to eliminate the element of doubt but would like to know if this is a serious issue.

Regards
Sateesh

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Re: Mistyped name in LIUK Notification letter

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:41 am

sateeshiiitb wrote:I can give the test again just to eliminate the element of doubt but would like to know if this is a serious issue.
See here: "The test supervisor can not change this for you. If the details on the certificate are wrong, you should include a letter with your application for naturalisation as a British citizen or for indefinite leave to remain explaining what the situation is. The Home Office will then make a decision whether or not to accept your certificate." While they technically have the right to refuse your test certificate (you were asked to confirm your name twice during registration for the test!) - I don't think they will make a fuss if it is an obvious typo. If the test supervisor indeed left a note, you are fine.

Shonna
Newly Registered

Re: Pls help _Life in the UK

Post by Shonna » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:10 am

-----------
-----------
Thank you all for the reply... I am thinking of appearing for the test given that the course materials going to be more difficult.. If ,by any chance test gets invalid, I guess am prepared to take the risk :)
---------------------
Shonna wrote:Hi,

I am in my fourth year on tier-2 (General) and my visa will be renewed in December 2012 for final year before applying for ILR in September 2013.

Can I give Life in the UK test now (i.e. before applying for visa renewal) or I need to wait to get my visas renewed first?

Also, any idea if taking Life in the UK test early has any effect on visa renewals?!

And the last thing, I heard there might be some changes in he test. So will I have to re-appear if the changes are made to the test before I apply for ILR?

I will appreciate any help in this matter.

Many Thanks

Shonna

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:13 pm

Ok, good call, and good luck.

If you were good in history and geography at school you should be fine in the test :).

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:30 pm

InUkOnHsmp wrote:If you were good in history and geography at school you should be fine in the test :).
Not really, at least not yet. History and geography appear in disappointingly low proportions in the current test (at least in my eyes). There are many questions concerning numbers and percentages (general population, ethnic groups and faith communities, seats in the 3 parliaments, ...) and on general stuff (e.g. MOT, speed limits, minimum wages, voltage, how to buy a house, film classifications), and maybe a handful of dates. With the right book easy enough to learn in a single weekend, but history and geography? Nah, not really. :(

Anyway, enough rambling and grumbling. Good luck Shonna!

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:37 pm

My advice would be forget books, and buy one of those learning CDs. Nothing helps me more than an online way of reading and practicing.

I used this one:

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:18 am

Gyfrinachgar wrote:I would advice the exact opposite - especially if you don't like history. The tests are valid for life and are due to become much more complex then they are at the moment (the test is indeed very easy to pass). Read this BBC report on some of the proposed changes. While these changes have not been implemented yet, they can come into force any minute now. Read this interesting warning. However, I agree with linkers, there must be a transition period, that is technically unavoidable. I would just not count on it that it is a particularly long period. I see no valid reason to procrastinate something like this test, especially given the circumstances.
Update: The latest news on BBC. Sale of the completely re-written study materials is supposedly starting today, while the new and harder test goes live in March. I strongly recommend that everyone who is thinking about taking the test sometime in 2013 hurries up and gets it done. Even more so if you already bought the study materials.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:31 am

Useful information for anyone preparing for the test now:

•If you are taking your test before 25 March 2013, your test will be based on the Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship, 2nd Edition handbook

•If you are taking your test on or after 25 March 2013, your test will be based on the Life in the United Kingdom: A Guide for New Residents, 3rd Edition handbook

http://www.tsoshop.co.uk/bookstore.asp? ... kid=002417

sip05ma4

Post by sip05ma4 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:09 am

Could someone help me about the ones who already have taken the exam? Do they need to take new exam again?

your help is much appreciated

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:12 am

sip05ma4 wrote:Could someone help me about the ones who already have taken the exam? Do they need to take new exam again?
No, they don't.

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 am

sip05ma4 wrote:Could someone help me about the ones who already have taken the exam? Do they need to take new exam again?
No, see above: the tests remain valid for life (or at least for the foreseeable future as relevant for any current applicant). The old books will only have collector's value from 25th of March on, but the test certificates have no use-by date. That is why I personally would recommended to get it done asap for those who have not already passed the test.

sip05ma4

Post by sip05ma4 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:24 am

thanks for your prompt response

tar123zan
Newly Registered

Post by tar123zan » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:23 pm

I remember a phrase that when applying for naturalization, life in the UK test paper should be presented with the same ID documents that this test was taken. I probably used my passport when this test was taken but as this passport is now about to expire, I will have to apply a new passport before naturalization. Does it mean that I have to take this test again as my passport would be different (e.g. passport number).

If I used my previous biometric card which was destroyed by home office as they issued ILR on my passport, again is there any problem?

Gyfrinachgar
Member of Standing

Post by Gyfrinachgar » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:26 pm

tar123zan wrote:I remember a phrase that when applying for naturalization, life in the UK test paper should be presented with the same ID documents that this test was taken. I probably used my passport when this test was taken but as this passport is now about to expire, I will have to apply a new passport before naturalization. Does it mean that I have to take this test again as my passport would be different (e.g. passport number).
The certificate does not contain the passport number, maybe nobody will care too much. However, HO will confirm your details in the computer database. To be on the safe side, simply submit your current (then cancelled) passport in the application as well.