ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Success - PEO Croydon today (odd experience, though)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Greggio_f
Newly Registered

ILR Success - PEO Croydon today (odd experience, though)

Post by Greggio_f » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:03 pm

So, I came to the UK in November 2007 on an HSMP visa and then got leave to remain under Tier 1 (General) in November 2009. I applied today for indefinite leave to remain under Tier 1 (General) with my wife as a dependant.

I had carefully prepared all the docs I thought I might need and laboriously copied all of the documents in a second folder.

The case worker started by asking for passports and then said "do you have a letter from each of your previous employers stating when you started and finished working for them?"

I didn't and asked him what the relevance of these letters would be. His answer wasn't that clear, but was something about who employed me before and after my previous grant of leave and something about proof I was in the UK during the 5 years. I explained that I didn't have them and he then asked if I had P45s to show this. Again, I didn't - I couldn't understand why I'd need to. I remindied him that I was on Tier 1 (General) so my visa wasn't tied to employment.

In the end, I gave him my 5 P60s - pointing out that each one showed my employer at the relevant time (I've had 3 in my five years here) and that my P60s and passport showed that I had been in the UK and economically active. I also had a letter from my current employer (to which he said, this is exactly what we need, but from each of your previous employers). Anyway, he said he'd look at the documents I'd given him, along with 1 year's bank statements and payslips and call us in about an hour.

We then spent a nervous hour and a half wondering what the outcome would be, only to return and be told that we'd been granted indefinite leave to remain.

So, the right result, but a bit unsettling to get a slightly left-field question first up like that.

InUkOnHsmp

Post by InUkOnHsmp » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:04 pm

Hi thanks for sharing your experience Greggio.

This opens up a new troubling line of thought, I will need to start talking to my past employers to see if they remember me :).

The good thing about your experience is it shows this is not mandatory, but on the discretion of the CW.

Anyways, thanks again for letting us know.
Challenges make life worth it!

Greggio_f
Newly Registered

Post by Greggio_f » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:11 am

Thanks InUKOnHsmp. I really can't see how what he was requesting could be relevant to the application and we got through anyway, so wouldn't necessarily go and reacquaint yourself with former employers.

For the record, here's how the day played out in a slightly more structured fashion:

Background:
Arrived Nov 2007 - HSMP
FLR in Nov 2009 - Tier 1 (General)
1 dependant. Eligible for ILR - no complications (e.g. not exceeded allowable days out of UK).

11:30 arrive at Croydon PEO for 12:05 appointment. Straight through security screening. Wait 3 minutes at downstairs reception - application form and passports checked. Sent to first floor for payment.
11:45 paid. Wait for number to be called.
12:00 called and case registered. Form checked, photos scanned. Told to wait to be called for biometrics.
1:30 finally have biometrics taken (after asking - they'd not put our number in the queue for this)
3:20 called to see caseworker. 15-20 minutes with case worker.
4:55 called back to caseworker - told we'd been granted indefinite leave.

Asked for information from previous employers showing dates I started and finished working for them and, in the alternative, P45s. Didn't have either, so in the end, the documents provided were:

- passports for applicant and dependant;
- Life in the UK test pass letters x2;
- 12 months' bank statements showing salary;
- 12 months' payslips (stamped and signed by payroll dept);
- letter from current employer.

That's it. CW didn't want to see letters granting HSMP or Tier 1 (General). No cohabitation docs asked for (although bank statements were in joint names and I was there with my wife and 20 month old son who was prominent (he was running around the waiting room for 3+ hours).

Adojay

Post by Adojay » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:03 am

InUkOnHsmp wrote:Hi thanks for sharing your experience Greggio.

This opens up a new troubling line of thought, I will need to start talking to my past employers to see if they remember me :).

The good thing about your experience is it shows this is not mandatory, but on the discretion of the CW.

Anyways, thanks again for letting us know.
Hi InUkOnHsmp,

I honestly don't think you need to start talking with all your past employers regarding getting any letters from them. In my case I only presented to CW the offer letter I received for my current job. Though, I was a bit surprised she demanded it in the first place. As long as the letter states your salary and term of employment, you are fine.

Good luck!

To Greggio - Congrats to you.

Kind regards
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

- Vince Lombardi

Heisgood

Re: ILR Success - PEO Croydon today (odd experience, though)

Post by Heisgood » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:06 pm

Greggio_f wrote:So, I came to the UK in November 2007 on an HSMP visa and then got leave to remain under Tier 1 (General) in November 2009. I applied today for indefinite leave to remain under Tier 1 (General) with my wife as a dependant.

I had carefully prepared all the docs I thought I might need and laboriously copied all of the documents in a second folder.

The case worker started by asking for passports and then said "do you have a letter from each of your previous employers stating when you started and finished working for them?"

I didn't and asked him what the relevance of these letters would be. His answer wasn't that clear, but was something about who employed me before and after my previous grant of leave and something about proof I was in the UK during the 5 years. I explained that I didn't have them and he then asked if I had P45s to show this. Again, I didn't - I couldn't understand why I'd need to. I remindied him that I was on Tier 1 (General) so my visa wasn't tied to employment.

In the end, I gave him my 5 P60s - pointing out that each one showed my employer at the relevant time (I've had 3 in my five years here) and that my P60s and passport showed that I had been in the UK and economically active. I also had a letter from my current employer (to which he said, this is exactly what we need, but from each of your previous employers). Anyway, he said he'd look at the documents I'd given him, along with 1 year's bank statements and payslips and call us in about an hour.

We then spent a nervous hour and a half wondering what the outcome would be, only to return and be told that we'd been granted indefinite leave to remain.

So, the right result, but a bit unsettling to get a slightly left-field question first up like that.
Congrats Greggio_f. This shows that the UKBA sometime operate as a law unto themselves ( outside their own guidance notes). These things are not in there own guidance yet you are expected to provide this.....how ? Thankfully it ended well.
“O give thanks unto the LORD; for He is good:” - He helped me conquered Everest (BC)
The long hard slog also call the immigration journey => | WHV | WPermit | ILR | BC | Passport |