ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tax Credits

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Joona

Tax Credits

Post by Joona » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:59 pm

Help needed as I'm very confused. My husband arrived in the UK 22/09/12 on a spouse visa. I called tax credits on the day informing them of the change so they stopped my single claim and told me I would have to make a joint claim with my husband. So when the forms arrived we filled them out and returned them obviously minus NI number for him. They received the forms 26/09/12 and we are still waiting. I've called them many times however each time no joy. I called them again last Wednesday and was told that on 19/10/12 they requested more information 'internally' whatever that means.

I called job centre and they will not issue my husband NI number as apparentley HMRC have to get the ball rolling. I'm it entitled to any WTC only CTC and by this month it is a struggle.

Does anyone have any suggestions or been in a similar situation?
Applied from Alexandria 22 May
Arrived at Visa section 27 May
With courier attempting delivery 13 August
Visa stamped (granted) 12 August
Alhamdulillah :)

laith2012

Post by laith2012 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:18 am

Hi Joona how are u ? Hope you doing good and your hubby
It's the same situation with us all money been stopping since September and we ring them every day , they say you have to wait cos it's send abroad for double check on me I never heart of that b4 . At last today they said we ll receive payments this week . But I am confuse cos they said I am entitle to working tax credit .

Good luck

Joona

Post by Joona » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:53 am

hi, how are you? settling in ok ?
We still have no news, sent everything to them as requested, they sent everything back and now nothing. I called them last week and demanded to speak to a Manager she wasn't much help tho. Did you have to go for an interview to the job centre? Over 3 months of waiting now, took less time to get a visa!!!!

John

Post by John » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:10 pm

Strongly suggest you contact your MP! A contact from the MP to the Tax Credits office has been known to work wonders.
John

Joona

Post by Joona » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:11 pm

My husband finally had his NI interview today at JCP.

Went to see my MP Hywel Williams and he was great, he called them that afternoon and wrote to them.

They told me 3/12/12 that everything should be completed in 3 weeks, so come Christmas Eve if they are open I will be on the phone again with them!!! Might call them tomorrow just to tell them that hubby has been for his interview. So 13 weeks and counting.......

zainibaba
Newly Registered

HI

Post by zainibaba » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:22 pm

Joona wrote:My husband finally had his NI interview today at JCP.

Went to see my MP Hywel Williams and he was great, he called them that afternoon and wrote to them.

They told me 3/12/12 that everything should be completed in 3 weeks, so come Christmas Eve if they are open I will be on the phone again with them!!! Might call them tomorrow just to tell them that hubby has been for his interview. So 13 weeks and counting.......
I applied WTC after my wife joined me in UK minus NI number,,,HMRC is suppose to ask Jobcentre Plus for inviting my wife for interview to issue her NI number ,,Last week someone promised me that he can arrange a job for my wife,;we called Jobcentre for an appointment for NI number for job.
My question
if she is issued NI number for job purpose,we can call HMRC to provide them NI number ? Would they have any objection why we have not waited their response concerning to NI number ?
We can use NI number issued for job purpose for Working Tax Credit purpose ?

John

Post by John » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:14 pm

Of course.

But a more general point, the law about needing to provide a NINO when applying for Tax Credits changed 2 or 3 years ago. Now, as long as one of the joint claimants provides a NINO, then the other is not so required to provide one, as long as they have never been issued with one.

I find it incredible that the Tax Credits continue to ignore this change of law, after all this time.

As regards the job offer, be aware that it is not a requirement to have a NINO before starting work. Unfortunately too many employers equate having a NINO with the right to work, but that has never been the case. Equally, having a NINO does not, by itself, give the right to work, and never has done. After all, for example, if someone came to the UK a few years ago on say a student visa, and got issued with a NINO, if that visa has expired and they are no longer legally in the UK, well now they have no right to work, even though they legally have a NINO.

The employer should require the sort of "right to work" evidence detailed in the guidance, and most certainly that will include their passport with its spouse visa.

Having started work they should endeavour to get a NINO without delay.
John

zainibaba
Newly Registered

Post by zainibaba » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:02 pm

John wrote:
Of course.

But a more general point, the law about needing to provide a NINO when applying for Tax Credits changed 2 or 3 years ago. Now, as long as one of the joint claimants provides a NINO, then the other is not so required to provide one, as long as they have never been issued with one.

I find it incredible that the Tax Credits continue to ignore this change of law, after all this time.

As regards the job offer, be aware that it is not a requirement to have a NINO before starting work. Unfortunately too many employers equate having a NINO with the right to work, but that has never been the case. Equally, having a NINO does not, by itself, give the right to work, and never has done. After all, for example, if someone came to the UK a few years ago on say a student visa, and got issued with a NINO, if that visa has expired and they are no longer legally in the UK, well now they have no right to work, even though they legally have a NINO.

The employer should require the sort of "right to work" evidence detailed in the guidance, and most certainly that will include their passport with its spouse visa.

Having started work they should endeavour to get a NINO without delay.
Thanks John,,,I want to ask you that if my wife gets NI number, she can call HMRC and provide them NINO straightway,,I should remind that WTC application already made 3 weeks ago,

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:45 pm

i am in a similar position here. HMRC are an absolute farce. I applied for WTC and rung them up last week since its been over 2 months and they said they are progressing it and doing some checks, i do not know what kind of checks.

upon asking how long would it take to get a decision, the lady on the other side said, no idea.

guess i will be ringing my MP very soon.

John

Post by John » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:54 pm

I want to ask you that if my wife gets NI number, she can call HMRC and provide them NINO straightway
As said before, of course, once the NINO is known, tell the Tax Credits office.

innocentdevil, don't hesitate to involve your MP. But of course appreciate that even MPs are entitled to a Christmas break, so maybe wait until early in the New Year before making contact.
John

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:54 am

John wrote:
I want to ask you that if my wife gets NI number, she can call HMRC and provide them NINO straightway
As said before, of course, once the NINO is known, tell the Tax Credits office.

innocentdevil, don't hesitate to involve your MP. But of course appreciate that even MPs are entitled to a Christmas break, so maybe wait until early in the New Year before making contact.
thats the plan, i would wait till new year now. I am sure they will backdate it but its the time it takes for them to process it.

Will update this once I have an update.

Joona

Post by Joona » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:46 pm

15 weeks and still waiting.......

One manager had promised me that everything would be sorted by 24/12 but suprise suprise it aint.

Took me less time to get a visa for my husband!

Whole thing is just a joke IMO

zainibaba
Newly Registered

Post by zainibaba » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:18 pm

Joona wrote:15 weeks and still waiting.......

One manager had promised me that everything would be sorted by 24/12 but suprise suprise it aint.

,,Have your husband recieved NI number ? I suppose without NI number of both parteners HMRC does not proceed the application. You told before that your husband had interview at JCP for NI number, What happened about that interview ?You have recieved NINO or not yet ?

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:45 pm

zainibaba wrote:
Joona wrote:15 weeks and still waiting.......

,,Have your husband recieved NI number ? I suppose without NI number of both parteners HMRC does not proceed the application. You told before that your husband had interview at JCP for NI number, What happened about that interview ?You have recieved NINO or not yet ?
thats not right. the person who is applying should have NI not both.

John

Post by John » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:59 pm

innocentdevil, given we are talking here about a joint claim, so both are applying, not sure I understand your comment.
John

Joona

Post by Joona » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:35 pm

No still waiting for the N nnumber, once that arrives i hope the claim will be processed. Although the Welsh tax credits helpline did say 'the claim might be sent for verification' what ever that means :(

I've given up to be honest.........

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:11 am

John wrote:innocentdevil, given we are talking here about a joint claim, so both are applying, not sure I understand your comment.

John, If I understand it correctly, in case of a married couple, like in my case, I have applied for Tax Credits but on the form, it asks for Wife's details which I have to provide. Now if the wife doesn't have an NI number, does the claim not go ahead.

There was a comment somewhere on here that it isn't necessary for partner to have an NINO, only the person who is applying should have it. In my case I have NINO but wife don't.

Am i not in correct in thinking so?

But a more general point, the law about needing to provide a NINO when applying for Tax Credits changed 2 or 3 years ago. Now, as long as one of the joint claimants provides a NINO, then the other is not so required to provide one, as long as they have never been issued with one

zainibaba
Newly Registered

Post by zainibaba » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:17 am

Joona wrote:No still waiting for the N nnumber, once that arrives i hope the claim will be processed. Although the Welsh tax credits helpline did say 'the claim might be sent for verification' what ever that means :(

I've given up to be honest.........
When did you apply NI number ? It usualy takes 2 weeks before it arrives at your home address. I am sure your application is delayed only because your partener does not has NI number .Ni number is a kind of verification which is used by HMRC so dont be disapponted. You will get a good news within 2 to 3 weeks if I am not wrong after NI number is issued.

Joona

Post by Joona » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:57 pm

At last it has been sorted!!!!!

Here is a timeline of our application;

22/09/12 - hubby arrived single claim stopped
23/09/12 - sent joint forms back to HMRC
26/09/12 - HMRC received joint claim
19/12/12 - hubby had NI interview at Jobcentre Office
17/01/13 - First payment due.

an absolute nightmare but glad its over!!!!

zainamir2006
Newly Registered

Tax Credits

Post by zainamir2006 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Hi i have been reading the conversation of tax credits.
Just to confirm can you claim tax credits if your husband has joined you in the uk to settle down. As i was told that you can not have any public funds if my husband gets the visa to join me in the uk.

Please can some one clarify

thanks

John

Post by John » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:06 am

Suggest you go to this topic, and in particular read my post on 23.05.2008. The legislation has not changed since then.
John

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:40 pm

update on my case. They have sent me the documents back (which they asked for). I rung them up nearly 3 weeks ago for update and I was told that my application is "awaiting award" and still nothing came through. Rung them up again yesterday and same story.

so I have now contacted my MP yesterday who will try to find whats going on?

innocentdevil
Diamond Member

Post by innocentdevil » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:57 am

well, another update. The monies are in my account, came through on Saturday so it looks like it has been processed. now just waiting for award letter to come through which should be this week. Took around 3 months or so.

Snowflake48

Working tax credits

Post by Snowflake48 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Hi, I'm also having the same problem with the hm revenue for working and child tax credits.My husband is a asylum seeker. We applied for a new joint claim on 08.08.2012.(befor I got married I succesfully received money) But until today I didn't receive any credits. I have sent all the documents which they asked for. But they are saying its still in process. I can't understand why they are taking so long. It's almost 6 months now. I wrote to mp yesterday.
Pls advise me what to do next!

elina1978
Newly Registered

Post by elina1978 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:34 pm

My husband and I have made a joint application for WTC (both EU Nationals). Application received by office late July 2012. They were telling me for months that I needed NINO and that they would arrange for an interview. They could not explain the delay and they have asked my mobile four times because a "manager" would take over our case and would arrange for the interview. Repeatedly I was told that it can take up to 12 weeks. Following advice from this forum I arranged for an interview by myself and received the NINO. I called straight away the office to tell them the NINO and they told me that my application is not valid anymore and they need to send me a new application pack. I can appeal according to them after I place a new application. :x :x :x
They are just trying to reduce the number of people they claim WTC even when they are entitled to it.
Please help. I think I will probably need a lawyer from now on but it is so unfair. You just about surviving on a minimum wage, they promise you some help and they never give it. They do not see that behind those application there are people who try to survive. Any suggestion/comment is more than welcome. :cry: